Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 04 Nov 2013 (Monday) 09:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos from Caving in WV

rpmaurer
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2013 09:40 |  #1

These are not commercially owned caves. Everything in here wants to kill your stuff, and sometimes you. Half of the challenge is not getting your stuff dirty. The other half is taking the photos in a place where there is ZERO light. Each photo (theres a bunch) has its own description on lighting, etc. C&C welcome, enjoy.

In a way, these are very easy to take, you have complete control over your lighting! Then again, you have to know what you're doing to get these. ;) In my case, it is just luck!

Unless otherwise noted, all were taken with a Canon Rebel T3i and a Canon 10-22mm wide angle lens with 430exII flashes.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The Window Room, Culverson Creek Cave. One flash on the ground, two flashes from me (silhouetted) and one back flash behind the person in the upper window.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Rimstone dams and "Meatballs" in Higgenbothams #5 cave. One side flash, wirelessly fired.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Massive red and pink flowstone in Mystic Cave. One flash held by the model, one fired by me to light her up.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Massive draperies in Mystic Cave. One fill flash by me, plus a back flash by a helper.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

One of my favorites, in Mystic Cave. One single back flash. This shows the humidity of the cave, it was 55F and that fog is from our bodies! Used a kit 18-55mm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Yours truly near a large stalagmite in Mystic Cave. A single flash manually fired by myself.

SX30IS, T3i, 18-55 IS II, 55-250 IS... life is good.

sponsored links
rpmaurer
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2013 09:40 |  #2

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Entrance to Piercy's Mill Cave. Used a 50mm f1.8.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Yours truly again, with my beloved pelican case. This waterproof case is practicaly bomb proof. Holds the T3i plus two flashes. Best thing, it floats! Oh and I put backpack straps on it. Also strap my tripods to it! One side flash wirelessly fired.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Big formations in Piercy's Mill Cave. One fill flash by me, one back flash by a helper.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

More formations in Piercy's Mill Cave. Two slave flashes off to each side.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Soda straw in Piercy's Mill. Backlit by a head lamp. Used a 50mm f1.8.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

One of the more technical photos. Used a side slave flash. The pool was lit up by waterproof headlamps. The lamps were at a different white balance than the flash. The end result was the pool was a sickly yellow color. So I processed the RAW file at both the flash white balance and the lamps white balanced and composited it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Again, same as the last. Probably my favorite photo I have ever taken in a cave. This one used a submerged flash. It was in impromptu thing and the covering on the flash altered its color so it had to be corrected later. This was a HUGE pool. I love this cave, I am going back soon (9 Nov).

rpmaurer
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2013 09:41 |  #3

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The Big Room in Sinnett Thorne Cave. Each person held a flash and manually fired it three times in three different directions staying very still the whole time.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The Big Room in Sinnett Thorn Cave. This was a test photo to see what the guys lighting would look like. Ended up being one of the best. This room is 900ft long, so it gives you an idea of the scale. The white dots near him are bats.

Taking these photos is a technical, physical, and mental challenge. Mainly mental because I am scared s**tless that I am going to break something! I have three more trips this November.

Again C&C welcome. I have to extend a big thanks to my friends. These photos are not possible by one person. It usually takes 3 to 5 people to do these. Or in the case of the Room in Sinnet Thorn, seven.

Enjoy!

Ryan Maurer

ETS
754 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 04, 2013 11:20 as a reply to  @ rpmaurer's post |  #4

Not something I would want to do. No caves for me! Very nice shots though. Thanks for sharing.

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

rpmaurer
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2013 13:11 as a reply to  @ ETS's post |  #5

Thanks, yes, see how muddy we are. How muddy the case is. Yeah, keep the stuff clean is half of the battle.

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 04, 2013 15:05 |  #6

Outstanding photos, Ryan! I especially appreciated your technical notes and equipment how-to’s.

I did some very, VERY limited WV caving in the early 80’s, and WET MUD describes those times perfectly. I used an old ammo case, with the camera and flash mounted solidly inside, and only opened it to shoot. Only 36 exposures, because it was too wet and dirty to change film.

Your pics, with multiple flash and even underwater flash, are light-years ahead of mine. Well done!

—Eric

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,287 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2013 15:46 |  #7

Amazing photos, thanks for sharing. I love those of the pools.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,500 posts
Gallery: 1838 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 04, 2013 17:00 |  #8

Heya,

Really great set, thanks for sharing.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

rpmaurer
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2013 18:00 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #9

Thanks guys! Anyone who has gone caving anywhere knows the mess it can be. One of the most satisfying feelings to see the photos work out!

Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 04, 2013 18:02 |  #10

Beautiful work, spelunking is on my must do list.

My blog (external link)

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,327 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 05, 2013 00:42 |  #11

Major props for taking on the cave..

Thanks much for posting.. Most enjoyable...!!!

My Gear flickr (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 05, 2013 00:56 |  #12

rpmaurer wrote in post #16423316 (external link)
These are not commercially owned caves. Everything in here wants to kill your stuff, and sometimes you. Half of the challenge is not getting your stuff dirty. The other half is taking the photos in a place where there is ZERO light. Each photo (theres a bunch) has its own description on lighting, etc. C&C welcome, enjoy.

Awesome! Love the detail.

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2013 01:08 |  #13

Very nice set, and some lovely formations. You've done well to take the shots, and (IMO) get your gear out undamaged & clean too. :)

I've got a soft spot for caves (I'm actually a cave diver, and prefer to be underwater - much less effort :) ), but there's no way I'll take my gear into them (not even the dry section). I was on an expedition a couple of years ago where another friend took his DSLR into the system (dry part, down to the lake where we started our dive). It didn't survive the trip.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing!

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

rpmaurer
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 05, 2013 14:17 as a reply to  @ adza77's post |  #14

Thanks adza, going back to re-shoot Piercy's Mill (the cave with the big pools) and another cave, Higgenbothams #4 this weekend. Have some good ideas in mind, and I will post them on a new thread :).

You see the big pelican case, right? Whole setup weighs around 15-20lbs. Not bad on your back though.

Logicus
787 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 06, 2013 03:26 |  #15

nice shots, I did a similar setup with the same pelican case a couple of years ago.. diggin' the shots of the pools!

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)
My flickr photos organized by Lens Used (external link)

sponsored links

4,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos from Caving in WV
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.