Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 02 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 21:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the worst injury you have recieved photographing sports?

Raven88
20 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 18, 2011 04:13 |  #46

Voaky999 wrote in post #11965382 (external link)
Wow, with that run of bad luck you should be injury free for a long time into the future. They say things happen in 3s so you should be good.

Yeah and the funny thing is getting kicked in the nose didn't really hurt, because it was more like it just hit my nose and not full force. Getting run over I couldn't put the pressure on my calf so had a hard time walking for about 3 days. And getting hit below the eye, is still hurts a bit if I touch the area and that was about 2 weeks ago now. And they happened in that order, so they hurt more the more things went on.

Good news is I don't have to cover anything till Spring Football Practice starting up in a few weeks.

Canon 7d, Canon 50d, 70-200 2.8 IS, 27-70 2.8, 16-36 2.8, 85 1.8 http://dsanger.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2011 18:49 |  #47

Was jumping out of the way so I didn't get hit my a crashing cyclist and smashed my hand and camera on a steel pole. Thumb went numb for 20 minutes and lost the thumb nail. Camera - fine. :D

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Avarus
262 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 20, 2011 15:41 |  #48

So far, only waterpolo balls missing me by an inch, but my luck has to end some day :(

450D (XSi) | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | 100mm f/2.8 USM macro |Blower brush + orange textile duster | 2 good eyes (AF enabled)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 20, 2011 21:17 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Had a few close calls last fall with highschool football tackles ending less than a couple feet away from me, and dodging a couple that went well past where I was as well, but no real injuries to speak of yet.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Voaky999
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,295 posts
Gallery: 737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 20, 2011 22:49 |  #50

SnapShot Photos wrote in post #12263207 (external link)
Had a few close calls last fall with highschool football tackles ending less than a couple feet away from me, and dodging a couple that went well past where I was as well, but no real injuries to speak of yet.

You are living on borrowed time my friend.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 21, 2011 00:57 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

I have had more stitches than my childhood teddy bears, and more close calls than circus psychic, I'm pretty much invincible.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

bc-chris
65 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2011 15:27 |  #52

i had a close call about a month ago

i was taking pictures at a minor hockey tournament for a friend of mine (he's the coach)

i had one foot on a hand rail and the other was on the lip where the boards meet the glass. i was leaning over the glass getting the action coming toward me - the right side of my body was against the glass. as the play moved towards me the one kid shot the puck and the defenceman deflected it - straight at me. i got my camera out of the way, thru out my left hand, caught the puck and then tossed it back onto the ice. a bunch of kids that were sitting fairly close to me just sorta stared in amazement - all i could come back with was, "hey, i'm a goalie!!!" ha! ha!

Camera: Canon EOS 50D. Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X. Other stuff: AEO Lightning Strike! II, Velbon tripod

MadlyAlive
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 27, 2011 15:57 |  #53

I was shooting football in High School for yearbook got nailed on the sideline. I was paying attention to getting the shot and didn't realize how close he was getting to me. Before I knew it I was on my a$$ with the wind knocked out of me. I got some great photos of it happening...The bad part was I wanted to snag a few of the pictures that got developed at the end of the year, but they were all destroyed :(

5D Mark III Gripped ~ 7D Gripped ~ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~ EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM ~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 550EX ~ 600EX-RT

SkateSoft
383 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 27, 2011 16:00 |  #54

Last Saturday I was taking shots of bmx. I guess I was too close and too low and the rider landed on me. Luckily nothing happened to the equipment.

Gear- 550d, KONICA Auto S2, Pentak ZX-50, 18-55, 55-250, YN-560
http://www.dylanredfie​ldphotography.com (external link)

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,299 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 27, 2011 16:16 |  #55

philwillmedia wrote in post #11569596 (external link)
Shooting a rally, put my foot down a wombat hole which didn't see in the long grass.
Rolled the ankle and heard "crack,crack, crack". My mate who was 20 metres in front of me heard the cracks and asked what it was.
I guess the contorted look on my face and a few choice words told him enough.
End result - tore all the ligaments in the ankle and 2 years later it still gives me grief.
Worst part was that it was the last stage of the rally and I was walking back to car with just 300 metres to go.

Been there, done that! I've torn all the ligaments in my left ankle before. Did all three at once before too. You know it's a full tear when the crack like that. First time I did it was 19 years ago, and it still gives me grief! A good sports brace sure helps.

Melody

Voaky999
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,295 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 05, 2013 22:49 |  #56

Bumping and old thread. Was fallen on by a basketball player today. Banged my elbow pretty good. Gear is fine. Here is the photo just prior to the incident.

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/10110656035_c22c7e74e9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …onvoaklander/10​110656035/  (external link)

Don

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,792 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 06, 2013 08:34 |  #57

Never had a scratch so far KKKKnock on wood
1 bent monopod on a sweep my way 2 years ago
but Ive have 1 blown out knee, torn rotator cuff, broken forearm, and broken tibia, hip pointer, various jammed fingers
from my playing days

I do miss it so

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 07, 2013 02:34 |  #58

Had a ball smack I to the front of my lens twice, the good saved the lens and I was fine both times. Had a few close calls with rugby players but so far I have been ok!

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 04, 2013 19:57 |  #59

1st time for me to get wiped out...my face still hurts...
This pass Thusday night DII football Two players ran over me near the end zone,(must of been a down and out play) that I didnt see coming, blind sided me as I was watching the running back coming at me and into the end zone.
Broke my tripod collar on the 300 2.8 (snapped near the mount screw.) :-(

After flipping over a few time I was ok and camera gear made it too.. I am glad I got out of that one without a broken collar bone, or leg, arm or wing...
I wish it was pee wee flag football instead... those little guys would have bounced off of me...
I thank my stars .. but I was seeing stars for a few minutes that night....ha ha

Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Voaky999
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,295 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2013 06:11 |  #60

Joe300 wrote in post #16424797 (external link)
1st time for me to get wiped out...my face still hurts...
This pass Thusday night DII football Two players ran over me near the end zone,(must of been a down and out play) that I didnt see coming, blind sided me as I was watching the running back coming at me and into the end zone.
Broke my tripod collar on the 300 2.8 (snapped near the mount screw.) :-(

After flipping over a few time I was ok and camera gear made it too.. I am glad I got out of that one without a broken collar bone, or leg, arm or wing...
I wish it was pee wee flag football instead... those little guys would have bounced off of me...
I thank my stars .. but I was seeing stars for a few minutes that night....ha ha

Joe

Wow!, that sounds dangerous. I haven't photographed football much but have a serious respect for how dangerous it can be. I was standing by a video guy that got completely creamed last year. A tripod collar is OK, months of rehab isn't.

Don

sponsored links

11,575 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the worst injury you have recieved photographing sports?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.