Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 04 Nov 2013 (Monday) 22:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon DF released!

rwong2k
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 04, 2013 22:54 |  #1

Looks pretty interesting, retro FF

http://fstoppers.com …ns-latest-full-frame-dslr (external link)

http://www.dpreview.co​m …medium=text&ref​=title_0_0 (external link)

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

sponsored links
virsago_mk2
578 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 04, 2013 23:14 |  #2

I dunno. For a mirrorless camera, DF is still pretty big.
It's still about the size of EOS 100D. Heck even Sony A7 is smaller than EOS 100D.

I might as well just stick with D610 or D800 if I had one.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

kamuishirou1999
43 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 04, 2013 23:21 |  #3

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #16425213 (external link)
I dunno. For a mirrorless camera, DF is still pretty big.

It's not a mirrorless camera.

"Roar," said the lion.

Dimitris
287 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 04, 2013 23:23 |  #4

Kinda meh announcement. I wished it actually came with a proper manual focus viewfinder.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/ (external link)

virsago_mk2
578 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 04, 2013 23:27 |  #5

kamuishirou1999 wrote in post #16425224 (external link)
It's not a mirrorless camera.

Then I stand corrected & applaud Nikon for releasing the smallest FF DSLR in the world.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,037 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 04, 2013 23:34 |  #6

Very interesting... Tho at that price you're near the cost of a D800.. Wonder why they went with the 16mp D4 sensor over the 36mp D800 one or the 24mp one from the D600 however... Maybe to be unique i suppose (I imagine if they had given it the 24mp D600 sensor people would cry that its a D600 in a pretty suit)

I like it, dont get me wrong, just the price is kind of steep, But I know theres a market and appeal for it, the fact it has the metering prong and such will be of interest to a lot of the old Nikon film holdouts for instance...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 04, 2013 23:59 |  #7

Too much money. Cool camera, but no way I would shell out almost $3k for one.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

996gt2
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 05, 2013 07:30 |  #8

KenjiS wrote in post #16425251 (external link)
Very interesting... Tho at that price you're near the cost of a D800.. Wonder why they went with the 16mp D4 sensor over the 36mp D800 one or the 24mp one from the D600 however... Maybe to be unique i suppose (I imagine if they had given it the 24mp D600 sensor people would cry that its a D600 in a pretty suit)

I like it, dont get me wrong, just the price is kind of steep, But I know theres a market and appeal for it, the fact it has the metering prong and such will be of interest to a lot of the old Nikon film holdouts for instance...

Well, this camera was designed to be compatible with all of Nikon's older lenses, and I'm willing to bet that most of those can't resolve enough detail for a 24MP sensor.

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 05, 2013 07:55 |  #9

Hot. Mess.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

onurrus
637 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 05, 2013 07:58 |  #10

It looks cool and compatible with all Nikon lenses but I cant see the point of using it with huge 24-70 zoom. If someone will be happy with only small primes it looks like a wonderful gadget.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2013 08:06 |  #11

I have two minds on this camera. On the one it reminds me of the older Nikons I used and enjoyed, and I still have my FM so it looks like it would be really fun to use.

On the other I'd rather get the D800 for not much more money because it has Nikon's best all around sensor and more capability on the whole. Plus... I'm curious how the weather sealing compares with all those knobs and switches (although not that concerned about it). And as cool as it all is, there's no proper aperture control ring on modern Nikon lenses. If they could have worked it in around the lens mount somehow then we'd be talking.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 05, 2013 08:12 as a reply to  @ onurrus's post |  #12

I shot Nikon FM's and FE's (and Contax) back in my film days and they were great cameras. That said, I am conflicted on my feelings about this camera. I love the look of it. I love the idea of it. I can certainly see a market for it in street and travel photography. It would in no way fit into my style of shooting these days. I think it will sell very well and likely be on perpetual backorder. It is a D4 in sheep's clothing at half the price.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

outmywindow
660 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2013 08:58 |  #13

I think in terms of price, it's definitely outclassed by some of the other options out there on the market today. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't think a FF camera in a retro-styled body like that wasn't so gosh darned aesthetically apppealing! :p

-Drew
#tools #tumblr (external link) #Support POTN: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 05, 2013 08:58 |  #14

Hot Bob wrote in post #16425934 (external link)
I shot Nikon FM's and FE's (and Contax) back in my film days and they were great cameras. That said, I am conflicted on my feelings about this camera. I love the look of it. I love the idea of it. I can certainly see a market for it in street and travel photography. It would in no way fit into my style of shooting these days. I think it will sell very well and likely be on perpetual backorder. It is a D4 in sheep's clothing at half the price.

Bob

It's nothing like a D4 - the only thing in common is the sensor. No-one ever bought the D4 for its sensor - compared with Nikon's other full-frame offerings, it's sub-par in most respects.

The main reason people buy the D4 is for the AF and frame rate. The DF has the D600's AF, shoots slower and is about the same size, and the sensor is of lower resolution, with less dynamic range and no better high-ISO performance (everything above 12800 is pushed, not hardware). And it costs $600 more!

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2013 09:16 |  #15

I'm a sucker for the retro look. But it's not enough to make me sell of all my gear and embrace the dark side. Plus, I'd have to get rid of the Canon EOS tattoo... :lol:

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

sponsored links

7,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon DF released!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.