Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 12:57 |  #1

I have read with interest all the latest rumours about the next gen 7D, from it will be a better 7D full stop :) to it will be a ruggerdised 70D :(

It almost certainly will have the flipping useless addition of 'better' video (after several years I still haven't used it on my 7D) and wifi/GPS etc. So my question to you guys is, not what would you like to see on the new mkII, but rather what do you not want to see (in a perfect world). Therefore in this fantasy scenario, all the development money would go to make a better semi-pro crop sensor camera.

I do not want (please Canon):

• Video recording (I don't shoot video with a stills camera)
  • GPS (I know where I have taken photos)
  • A flippy, twisty, touch screen (I am able to understand controls on a camera, plus I am older than 12) and don't need something which won't stand up to the situations I take pictures in.
  • The same sensor as the 70D (negligible improvement)
  • Did I mention video recording
  • Single slot card(but can live with this if you promise not to put any video on the camera)
  • Any pre-set modes like sport or landscape to clutter up my mode dial
  • Crazy high megapixel numbers please
  • V....I....D....E....O
Ok perhaps it's just me that gates the wasted money that goes on video stuff

Call me Amanda please :)

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2013 13:18 |  #2

Really?? After all these years you still have to whine about video? Don't want it, don't use it. Plus.. it's just not going to happen so why keep bringing it up.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 13:30 |  #3

gjl711 wrote in post #16429776 (external link)
Really?? After all these years you still have to whine about video? Don't want it, don't use it. Plus.. it's just not going to happen so why keep bringing it up.

I could respond what the point of bringing up your objection to my objection. There we are, it's a done deal :D

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 06, 2013 13:34 |  #4

There is very likely zero money wasted on video. First, video is an extension of Live View, something I use extensively. Second, the addition of video expands the market for the camera, thus increasing the benefits of the "economy of scale". Adding video may very well decrease the cost of the camera well beyond the minor cost of a microphone. There are so many people doing video with their SLRs that not only has it sprouted an entirely new market for SLR specific video equipment, but it has led to the creation of the 1DC and the C100/300 etc. These same people buy quite a lot of 5 and 7 series cameras.

The only issue I have with video is the more aggressive AA filters used to combat moire. That is something that can be remedied however. Outside of that, the use of SLRs for video brings things to still shooting that are quite beneficial. Magic Lantern, and all it's functionality, was brought to us by film guys, yet is very useful for stills shooting. It's so useful I couldn't imagine not having it, yet if it weren't for video Magic Lantern wouldn't exist. Just something to think about. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 13:36 |  #5

I did mention several other things I didn't want, apart from video. Does anyone really want a flappy screen on the mkII?

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 06, 2013 13:42 |  #6

why are you so against video? you sound almost like the old fogies that hated digital when it came out. Video is here and it isn't going away. It also makes life easier for still shooters in certain situations. You are whining about a very useful tool that you never have to utilize if you don't want to.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 13:52 |  #7

steelbluesleepr wrote in post #16429843 (external link)
why are you so against video? you sound almost like the old fogies that hated digital when it came out. Video is here and it isn't going away. It also makes life easier for still shooters in certain situations. You are whining about a very useful tool that you never have to utilize if you don't want to.

I wasn't seriously trying to make this a thread about the merits and demerits of video......honest.

Briefly, I dislike video as I have been a professional Television Sound engineer for 30 years (BBC) and have worked closely, all my career with TV cameras. I believe in the right tool for the job. yes DSLRs can make inserts and movies in a film style, but they are no substitutes for most of the video that is recorded today using proper video equipment. A lot of this comes down to the ergonomics of the DSLR not the potential image quality (leaning building syndrome apart). I repeatedly made the Video reference in my bullet points to add a (failed) note of slight amusement and frippery :(

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 06, 2013 13:54 |  #8

I don't want any feature that has limited benefit that decreases the reliability of the camera.

No Flip out screen.

No GPS unit covered by light plastic

etc.

While the flip out screen IS a useful thing for times, I would much rather see it support a hard point quick connector on the side for a secondary screen that I can purchase with multiple screen model options.
Support for a 'secondary' swivel screen matching the size of the normal screen, and designed such that if something breaks it will be on the side of the secondary screen 9 times out of 10, not the camera itself. It also gives the option for supporting the option of an even larger screen sizes that mount firmly to the camera itself. I kind of like the idea of being able to pull a 7 or 10 inch screen out of the gear bag for times I need the swivel screen over trying to use a tiny little thing for live view.

And being able to use a 10" field monitor with the camera and not having to lug along a cage if I know I'm going to be shooting off a tripod with no complex movements? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 14:06 |  #9

That's my thinking about reliability. Sometimes less is more. I worry that as Canon may not have a sensor that is a noticeable improvement over the existing one in the 7D, they will try to 'Flim flam' us with sleight of hand and add unnecessary clutter from other models to distract us from what we really want.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 14:10 |  #10

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16429882 (external link)
... as I have been a professional Television Sound engineer for 30 years (BBC)...

So, who is the biggest jerk of the Top Gear guys?
My money is on Jeremy. :D

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 14:16 |  #11

andrikos wrote in post #16429929 (external link)
So, who is the biggest jerk of the Top Gear guys?
My money is on Jeremy. :D

It is safe to say the nicest guy is James :)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 14:18 |  #12

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16429947 (external link)
It is safe to say the nicest guy is James :)

:)
Captain Slow is a true English gentleman! :)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 06, 2013 14:29 |  #13

Dont want.... A crappy banding sensor with crappy Dynamic Range.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 06, 2013 14:46 |  #14

J_TULLAR wrote in post #16429991 (external link)
Dont want.... A crappy banding sensor with crappy Dynamic Range.

This.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 06, 2013 14:50 |  #15

I had my camera with me at my cousin's wedding. Taking photos - I was glad to have video capability to get the parents' speeches on video. They didn't have a videographer. I don't use it normally, but I was glad to have it.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

27,726 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.