Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 15:42 |  #16

Does anyone want Wifi? I think it's the only feature that I might like adding, as I occasionally use remote shooting.

Btw andrikos, I am biased as I have a little crush on captain slow (I find him attractive :D )

Call me Amanda please :)

sponsored links
jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 06, 2013 15:52 |  #17

I don't want ... a Canon sensor.
I don't want ... a price tag higher than the original 7D.
I don't want ... claims of "better high ISO noise" that are only the result of ever-more-extreme JPG noise reduction.

(Since we are obviously asking for things that aren't going to happen.)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 15:52 |  #18

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16430206 (external link)
Does anyone want Wifi? I think it's the only feature that I might like adding, as I occasionally use remote shooting.

Btw andrikos, I am biased as I have a little crush on captain slow (I find him attractive :D )

:)

Yes wifi for me is definitely on the "want" list.
I also like a GPS capability which is an even cheaper chipset than wifi.
I like touchscreeens (the one on the EOS M is great) and a flippy screen is also useful for macros unless there's wifi where you can control your shots from a smartphone/iPad.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for useful technology... :)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 16:00 |  #19

jrbdmb wrote in post #16430240 (external link)
I don't want ... a Canon sensor.
I don't want ... a price tag higher than the original 7D.
I don't want ... claims of "better high ISO noise" that are only the result of ever-more-extreme JPG noise reduction.

(Since we are obviously asking for things that aren't going to happen.)

I figured that as we can't agree at all about what we all want in a 7D II, we might have a general consensus of what we don't want. I agree about the iso remark in particular

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 06, 2013 16:06 |  #20

I absolutely, positively don't want a cup holder; they do have them in the German market because the Germans are serious about what they are doing and don't want any distractions.

BTW.. stupid thread!

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 16:08 |  #21

hairy_moth wrote in post #16430282 (external link)
I absolutely, positively don't want a cup holder; they do have them in the German market because the Germans are serious about what they are doing and don't want any distractions.

BTW.. stupid thread!

Thank you for taking the time out to post in it though :)

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 06, 2013 16:13 |  #22

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16430265 (external link)
I figured that as we can't agree at all about what we all want in a 7D II, we might have a general consensus of what we don't want. I agree about the iso remark in particular

+1 If you haven't improved iso performance, you shouldn't be introducing a new camera.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 16:23 |  #23

I keep reading that the 70D sensor isn't really any better at higher iso levels than the current 7D, so I definitely don't want that sensor. Perhaps Canon are 'up to something' to improve our lot (please)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 06, 2013 16:39 |  #24

I don't think we need to see a new 7D2 at all - or, for that matter, a new 1Dx. At least not in the form of an SLR camera.

The 7D and 1Dx are action cameras. Frame rate is paramount, as is performance at high ISO - just like video. It doesn't take a huge jump in data bandwidth to go from 14fps, or even 8fps, up to the 25-30fps required for video - certainly well within the engineering capabilities of Canon, Nikon or Sony. The real limitation is the physical movement of the mirror.

As stills frame rate and video resolution increases, the gap between action stills cameras and video cameras becomes ever-smaller. So, why not eliminate it entirely? It's certainly possible to output full-resolution RAW from current sensors. And there's no reason on-sensor phase-detection AF, using dual-pixel technology (or quad-pixel, for cross-type) can't be as fast as current off-sensor designs.

Make the 7D2 an APS-C video camera capable of full-resolution RAW video output, and make the 1Dx2 the full-frame version of the same. That way, you'd have the ultimate action stills camera.

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 16:49 |  #25

Not having read too much on the 70Ds dual photocell autofocus thingie, does anyone know if adopting this system is at all detrimental to the image quality of a standard sensor?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 06, 2013 17:08 |  #26

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16430385 (external link)
Not having read too much on the 70Ds dual photocell autofocus thingie, does anyone know if adopting this system is at all detrimental to the image quality of a standard sensor?

Certainly no more than using a mirror to divert some of the light to a separate AF sensor...

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 17:13 |  #27

Shadowblade wrote in post #16430429 (external link)
Certainly no more than using a mirror to divert some of the light to a separate AF sensor...

Ah, I thought that when it shot video, the new sensor managed to do something clever with the autofocus. So the sensor was a new fangled type

I will go away and read up on it :)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,301 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2013 18:09 |  #28

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16430385 (external link)

It doesn't seem to be. RAW performance of the new sensor is basically the same as the 7D with banding reduced.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,301 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2013 18:14 |  #29

Shadowblade wrote in post #16430429 (external link)

I believe only Sony offers a pellicle mirror system. All Canon DSLR cameras move the mirror out of the way before taking the image.

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16430440 (external link)
Ah, I thought that when it shot video, the new sensor managed to do something clever with the autofocus. So the sensor was a new fangled type

It is. The Canon 70D has the new dual pixel sensor allowing for on sensor phase detect AF. Others have done this as well but only with a limited number of pixels. Canons cover almost all of them.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 06, 2013 18:41 |  #30

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16430206 (external link)

I don't need wifi but a sub $1k price would be nice

sponsored links

27,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.