Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 19:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bag for 500 F4L MkII + TC + Camera Attached

jdavis37
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 06, 2013 19:34 |  #1

I have been reading to find a bag for my 500F4L MkII with hood in shooting position and 5D3 + TC attached. I have a nice Gura Gear backpack that is giood for travel and anytime I am ok with reverse mounting the hood so I am not seeking a bag where the hood needs to be reversed.

Bags I have found thus far:

Kinesis L611
Kinesis L622
Lowepro Lenstrekker 600 AW2
Tamrac 5793 (will it fit with hood in shooting position?)
Kata TLB-600PL (discontinued but still available for purchase, hard to find real use info)
Tenba LL 600II

The goal for this bag is not to worry about plane limitations, etc but rather to have a bag for mostly local short travel where keeping camera in shooting ready position is most important thing. If there are quality differences etc I would be curious.. same for ease of getting camera in/out.

I may consider purchase of a smaller bag made in similar fashion that will fit on an airplane. Such as Kinesis L511, etc where lens hood needs to be reversed. I can see where such a smaller bag would be good for plane trips as it would at worst fit underneath a seat in event overhead is full and they start making people check in their luggage. But the larger bag is my primary need at moment. Thx!

sponsored links
P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 06, 2013 22:42 |  #2

You are going to end up with a long bag thats a pain to carry... I've got the LowePro Trekkers and don't use them except to store lenses in....

I like the Glass Taxi, take the body off the camera and reverse the hood. Hang the body off the bag in a Chimp Cage or whatever they call it. Very compact and easy to carry.

If you need to draw something with a 500 on it for a snap shot, you are not anticipating what you are really doing.....

Best wishes.....

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 08:58 |  #3

Mark,

Thanks for the perspective. It may be as I think it through that I will decide on a bag that will fit the lens + TC + camera attached with hood reversed which has ability to add a smaller bag for something like my 24-105 and/or 2 TC's. Normally when I travel I use my Gura Gear bag which holds everything perfectly fine though the 500 and camera being attached is a little tight. I'm not doing these days a ton of hiking... but I do want some level of convenience as the camera goes in and out of a bag. A full teardown each time isn't what I want. Reversing hood is acceptable though again the idea of camera going into the bag complete for whatever reason is still appealing. It isn't about trying to rapid fire camera out of bag and not being ready but rather just convenience. I do a lot of day trips 2 hours form here and often take my camera along. But I car move around during the day. A larger bag holding gear would just simplify the location changes and setup, letting me multi task other things which in actuality are taking me there to begin with. A large bag like that of course would be a specialty bag and perhaps isn't worth it if others share your experiences of non use.

I can see the advantage of a bag such as the Kinesis L511 size where it will hold camera plus lens and allow some expansion for another wide angle lens, TC, and air blower, lens cleaner etc for those trips I take on occasion for wildlife. Such a bag could fit under airline seat thereby avoiding being asked to check the bag at the gate whereas my Gura Gear bag simply will not fit under seat. John

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 07, 2013 11:06 |  #4

Dear JDAVIS37/John,

While I unfortunately can’t help you with your unique bag specifications, as not reversing the hood of a 500f4 will make for a very lengthy & selective bag.
However I can give you feedback, (just one person’s view) on the Lowepro LENS TREKKER 600 II AW Backpack:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Lens_Trekker_6​00_II.html (external link)
which I have owned for approximately 7 years.
It has the typical Lowepro hallmark characteristics of being very good protection, but I find is a bit awkward & bulky, as the interior seems to have a lot of excess space. (in fairness that is due to the 500f4 shape & dimensions). Also particularly if I hang on the outside a Lowepro TOPLOADER 75 PRO AW (to accommodate a 5DmkIII with mounted 70-200f2.8 IS mkII). I am a petite 5ft 2in female.
However, as we all know camera bags are such an individual preference.

Pardon me, as I don’t mean to hijack your thread/request, but I’m curious about your experience with your Gura Gear bag.
-which model do you have?
-and why won’t it fit under the airline seat? (as I thought they fit FAA 45” guidelines)
This causes me concern as I was seriously considering the relatively new Gura Gear BATEFLAE 32L Backpack:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e_32L_Backpack_​Black.html (external link)
and had planned on carrying the following when I am “birding/wildlifing” when out in nature…
This on the right side:
-1DmkIII (or 1DX) with mounted 500f4(hood reversed)+TC2X mkII (this is LOA 20.0”)
This on the left side:
-5DmkIII with 70-200f2.8 IS mkII +TC2xmkIII (this is LOA 13”)
-24-70f2.8 mkII, 600EX-RT, Better Beam & ThinkTank Hydrophobia 300-600 rain cover.
I currently have this above content configuration in the very lightweight Lowepro S&F DUFFLE TRANSPORT DUFFLE Backpack:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …port_Duffle_Bac​kpack.html (external link)
with some spare bag dividers in centre & around perimeter and a bit/layer of neoprene on the bottom for padding, which results in a great accommodating capacity bag which is pretty convenient to carry when travelling in/out by car or brief hike, or at a rivers edge when seeking out eagles, blue herons, etc;
On site, when the bag is more or less empty it folds/scrunches/rolls and disappears into a niffty "nothing" tube on my back! http://www.lowepro.com​/sf-series-event-photographer (external link) (see 3:30 minute Lowepro product video)
But feel I would like a bit more padding/protection for my treasured content.

Yes I know such a configuration is a heavy pack (approx 30lbs) and for my occasional air-travel I would have to pull apart/remove a bit of weight from it as a “carry-on” bag to my “personal” bag to insure I can cooperatively comply with most USA domestic airline carry-on bag weight/size requirements, but I have that planned already & done so in the past.

So hoping for your feedback on your Gura Gear bag, thank you.

Mary

MARY

Tc202
Goldmember
1,936 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 07, 2013 11:16 as a reply to  @ happy2010's post |  #5

I have a gura gear 32 l bag and in one side I have my 1d4 with 500 and on the other I have my 5d3 attached to a 200mm f2 with a zeiss 21mm, 100 macro, 50mm 1.2, 600ex-rt, extenders and tubes, and many other items. I have flown on small delta planes and it always fits under the seat. The bag is really light. My favorite wildlife bag.

Camera AF Guides:1DX Mark II (external link)5DS/ SR (external link)7D Mark II (external link)
Location Guides: Yellowstone Winter Guide (external link)Fort De Soto Guide (external link)
Instagram (external link)Guiding Services/ Blog: Outback Photo Adventures (external link)- Thomas

Tc202
Goldmember
1,936 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 07, 2013 11:18 as a reply to  @ Tc202's post |  #6

When I fly the cameras are never mounted to the lenses.

Camera AF Guides:1DX Mark II (external link)5DS/ SR (external link)7D Mark II (external link)
Location Guides: Yellowstone Winter Guide (external link)Fort De Soto Guide (external link)
Instagram (external link)Guiding Services/ Blog: Outback Photo Adventures (external link)- Thomas

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 07, 2013 11:23 |  #7

Tc202 wrote in post #16432205 (external link)
I have a gura gear 32 l bag and in one side I have my 1d4 with 500 and on the other I have my 5d3 attached to a 200mm f2 with a zeiss 21mm, 100 macro, 50mm 1.2, 600ex-rt, extenders and tubes, and many other items. I have flown on small delta planes and it always fits under the seat. The bag is really light. My favorite wildlife bag.

TC202 - Thank you, that is very reassuring!!
(yes, I understand about the body/lens when flying and concur)

Mary

MARY

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 11:29 |  #8

Mary,

Thanks for the feedback especially the details about the "extra room" inside the Lowepro bag. Adorama currently has a very good price on it but a good price is only good if the product meets one's needs. And you are very correct about bags and perosnal preferences/wants and how 2 bags can be perfect for 2 different people and yet not be good for the third! That is why objective details like you just provided are very worthwhile given they allow me to draw my own conclusion. The Lowepro after all was designed for larger lenses than the 500 f4 and it stands to reason one size fits all will result in the smallest being loose.

I am chewing on my initial desire to leave the hood attached. On one hand it lets me pack and leave house quickly but in fairness removing a hood takes a minute or so and isn't exactly difficult. Living with a 26 inch bag may easily end up more a burden than the hood so that point from both you and Mark above is well taken. Given the Lowepro is roomy on inside, it may narrow my big bag search down if I continue to entertain hood in shooting position idea (most likely I will punt this in the end). The Kinesis L611 may well be a strong contender for the Super Bag option as it was designed to fit narrower and also has the Kinesis expandability for attached smaller bags if desired.

Now as to your questions about the Gura Gear bag. First let me say i love it and I have the slightly older version where the top only butterfly opens. The butterfly opening is great for a lot of reasons but the newer bags also give option of entire top opening. I like having options so I think the new design will only improve on an already great bag. I can fit my 5D3 + 1.4X TC and 500mm attached to camera body on one side (is tight) with hood reversed. I have the older 32L bag. I have never tried to stuff it under an airline seat but given how small airline seats have gotten I think it would be a snug fit especially if filled with a lot of big gear. it MIGHT fit. I have had a couple semi tense moments at the gate where the airline said all bags now have to be checked and each time they have taken pity on me when I explained I had $17K of camera gear in the bag. But again there is a chance it will go under a seat.. I have never tried but if so it will be stuffed to get under. Overhead, no issue at all.

I have never been concerned with the amount of padding in the bag. It has never let me down. To me the bag is as good as it gets. The backpack harnesses easily hide away making the bag look like normal luggage. The side carrying handle is angled perfectly to help carry the bag. With amount of gear you are discussing especially for a smaller person it will be heavy but the bag will handle it. I am sure there are other bags out there which are equally as good but next bag I buy when this one gets too aged will be another Gura bag. I wish mine had the either/or opening option the new 32L has. The butterfly opening would still be my most used opening as not having to open the entire flap in the field is nice and keeps bag cleaner. But initial packing of the bag would be simpler if entire front opened like it now does.

Your gear will all fit in the 32L though it will be heavy. And airlines can get picky on weight so a second purse sized bag for the 70-200 combo might be warranted. The smaller bag becomes a purse and airlines allow 1 personal bag plus 1 carry on. Hope that helps answer the Gura questions but if you have more please ask. It really is a great bag though! John

happy2010 wrote in post #16432184 (external link)
Dear JDAVIS37/John,

While I unfortunately can’t help you with your unique bag specifications, as not reversing the hood of a 500f4 will make for a very lengthy & selective bag.
However I can give you feedback, (just one person’s view) on the Lowepro LENS TREKKER 600 II AW Backpack:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Lens_Trekker_6​00_II.html (external link)
which I have owned for approximately 7 years.
It has the typical Lowepro hallmark characteristics of being very good protection, but I find is a bit awkward & bulky, as the interior seems to have a lot of excess space. (in fairness that is due to the 500f4 shape & dimensions). Also particularly if I hang on the outside a Lowepro TOPLOADER 75 PRO AW (to accommodate a 5DmkIII with mounted 70-200f2.8 IS mkII). I am a petite 5ft 2in female.
However, as we all know camera bags are such an individual preference.

Pardon me, as I don’t mean to hijack your thread/request, but I’m curious about your experience with your Gura Gear bag.
-which model do you have?
-and why won’t it fit under the airline seat? (as I thought they fit FAA 45” guidelines)
This causes me concern as I was seriously considering the relatively new Gura Gear BATEFLAE 32L Backpack:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e_32L_Backpack_​Black.html (external link)
and had planned on carrying the following when I am “birding/wildlifing” when out in nature…
This on the right side:
-1DmkIII (or 1DX) with mounted 500f4(hood reversed)+TC2X mkII (this is LOA 20.0”)
This on the left side:
-5DmkIII with 70-200f2.8 IS mkII +TC2xmkIII (this is LOA 13”)
-24-70f2.8 mkII, 600EX-RT, Better Beam & ThinkTank Hydrophobia 300-600 rain cover.
I currently have this above content configuration in the very lightweight Lowepro S&F DUFFLE TRANSPORT DUFFLE Backpack:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …port_Duffle_Bac​kpack.html (external link)
with some spare bag dividers in centre & around perimeter and a bit of neoprene on the bottom for padding, which results in a great accommodating capacity bag which is pretty convenient to carry when travelling in/out by car or brief hike, or at a rivers edge when seeking out eagles, blue herons, etc; but feel I would like a bit more padding/protection for my treasured content.

Yes I know such a configuration is a heavy pack (approx 30lbs) and for my occasional air-travel I would have to pull apart/remove a bit of weight from it as a “carry-on” bag to my “personal” bag to insure I can cooperatively comply with most USA domestic airline carry-on bag weight/size requirements, but I have that planned already & done so in the past.

So hoping for your feedback on your Gura Gear bag, thank you.

Mary

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 11:30 |  #9

Tc202 wrote in post #16432209 (external link)
When I fly the cameras are never mounted to the lenses.

Ditto. I only have camera attached when I am traveling locally when I expect I might see something via car and it affords a better chance to get a shot.

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 11:32 |  #10

Tc,

Thanks for verifying the bag does indeed fit under an airline seat. Seats are getting so small but then at 6 feet 1 I also tend to need every inch of foot room and often leave the under seat empty. But if I ever get told to check the bag in I will at least have option of getting it under a seat! I agree though the bag is really good! John

Tc202 wrote in post #16432205 (external link)

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 07, 2013 11:43 |  #11

JDAVIS37/John - thank you for taking the time with your insightful reply, it was helpful and it is sincerely appreciated.
(as well as TC202's experience).

Mary
P.S. Yep, I'm small/petite but have spunk & determination so I will handle the bag! (after all it's photography, which I love).

MARY

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 11:53 |  #12

Mary,

Glad we helped (as did your comments on the interior roominess of the Lowepro.. last thing I want is a big expensive lens attached to a camera body roaming around inside the bag).

The Gura bag is really well made and feel certain the newer version is even better. No complaints.

Last time my son and I went on a long hike (long for us is 5 miles by the way) it was in the low 80 degree mark and I had my tripod and lots of gear in my Gura bag. After about 3 mile mark I started realizing at half a century of age that I wished I had lightened the bag! But am sure someone who hikes often etc will be fine with it. It is well padded for your shoulders and can carry if desired the kitchen sink. Now 30+ pounds I think I would need your spunk and determination!! John

happy2010 wrote in post #16432271 (external link)
JDAVIS37/John - thank you for taking the time with your insightful reply, it was helpful and it is sincerely appreciated.
(as well as TC20202's experience).

Mary
P.S. Yep, I'm small/petite but have spunk & determination so I will handle the bag! (after all its photography which I love).

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 07, 2013 12:49 |  #13

Hi JDAVIS37/John,

Me again, just an FYI…
ADDENDUM-
Just to clarify the Lowepro LENS TREKKER 600II AW is well padded and its design accommodates any equipment (camera, lens, TC etc.) well & securely in the interior (both in ID width & ID height).
My reference to excess space/bulk was in regards the ID width (to either side of the lens barrel) as well as the bag exterior. While comfortable to wear the bag just leaves me with a lasting bulky/noisy ergonomic impression. The bag will serve its designed fit & functions well though. It is just with hindsight, not my first choice for a 500f4 lens.

While I haven’t reached the half century mark yet, but I will happily absorb your age experience - thank you.
“Youth is a gift. Age is an art.” Well done John!

Happy shooting with whatever bag you decide to use...

Mary
P.S.
Remember, in life (I've observed): people spend 2/3rds of life accumulating "stuff" and the last 1/3rd getting rid of it!! (We start with nothing and end with nothing - enjoy & cherish the journey, take care.)

MARY

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 14:56 |  #14

Mary,

I read ana rticle Thom Hogan wrote several years back when I was about to buy my first "real" tripod where he said you can it once, or you can buy cheap and buy twice. Luckily, while not wealthy, I have enough income to afford the difference between a Gitzo and a Chinese replica. That said I will never know if the Chinese made knockoffs weren't good enough as they probably are. I bought the Gitzo legs and have never looked back.

It is easy to collect "stuff" that we end up using rarely and that is also a good point. Right now I have one bag. Before going to a larger bodied camera I had a decent Kata rucksack but then I found nature in a big way and now have the 500F4.

One thing from this conversation is I now know there is really NO reason for me to consider the smaller bags like the Kinesis L511. Knowing the Gura bag will fit under a plane seat takes care of that concern so thanks to TC for that bit of information! Have to love the fine folk on this forum who always offer their experiences and advice in a friendly manner.

I am still on the fence regarding a larger bag that would allow me to quickly pack up and move to my soon to be second home in the mountain foothills where I have frequently visiting pileated woodpeckers that I have not as of yet gotten to photo with the 500F4 ( only earlier with a 300F2.8 + 2X TC).

I can always try the Lowepro and see if it works. Adorama has them for about $150 right now. I would probably prefer the Kinesis L611 but it is more than $100 more and I'll need to convince myself I have $300 worth of *need*. Funny how one can have a 10K lens and sound so cheap over a bag :) trust me the 10K part was a stretch and a lot of savings.. and the selling of my 300F2.8.

I appreciate the insight though about the big bags. Could be staying with what I have is the best thing though with TC and camera body attached it is a snug fit in the 32L with hood reversed. John

happy2010 wrote in post #16432439 (external link)
Hi JDAVIS37/John,

Me again, just an FYI…
ADDENDUM-
Just to clarify the Lowepro LENS TREKKER 600II AW is well padded and its design accommodates any equipment (camera, lens, TC etc.) well & securely in the interior (both in ID width & ID height).
My reference to excess space/bulk was in regards the ID width (to either side of the lens barrel) as well as the bag exterior. While comfortable to wear the bag just leaves me with a lasting bulky/noisy ergonomic impression. The bag will serve its designed fit & functions well though. It is just with hindsight, not my first choice for a 500f4 lens.

While I haven’t reached the half century mark yet, but I will happily absorb your age experience - thank you.
“Youth is a gift. Age is an art.” Well done John!

Happy shooting with whatever bag you decide to use...

Mary
P.S.
Remember, in life (I've observed): people spend 2/3rds of life accumulating "stuff" and the last 1/3rd getting rid of it!! (We start with nothing and end with nothing - enjoy & cherish the journey, take care.)

jdavis37
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 14:57 |  #15

PS To all.... whenever I think I am spending a lot of $$ on photography I think (a) the film is now free and (b) it remains cheaper in long run than golf :)

sponsored links

3,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bag for 500 F4L MkII + TC + Camera Attached
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.