Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it safe to clean sensor ?

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 07, 2013 07:29 |  #16

And pass this info on to your Friend so that he / she can do a proper cleaning , I also have used sensor swabs on my 20D haven't cleaned the other Bodies as yet no need to as far as I see and I have Copper Hill system .

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

sponsored links
Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 07, 2013 10:15 |  #17

Geonerd wrote in post #16428222 (external link)
<snip>

Look for something like http://www.all-spec.com …Mrl65q1z7oCFVRk​7AodTTgA-g (external link)
These surface on Fleabay occasionally, for significantly less.
These are essentially the same as the sensor swabs mentioned above, but without the marketing and utterly insane markup. (Note 100pcs vs just 12 for your ~$35.)

Geonerd, I take it that the swabs in the link that you posted are the correct size for a 1.6 crop camera (T2i)? I'm trying to put together a small mainteance/cleaning kit for my equipment and I'm looking at different options. This seems like a good deal. Thanks.

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 07, 2013 14:43 |  #18

Intheswamp wrote in post #16432081 (external link)
Geonerd, I take it that the swabs in the link that you posted are the correct size for a 1.6 crop camera (T2i)? I'm trying to put together a small mainteance/cleaning kit for my equipment and I'm looking at different options. This seems like a good deal. Thanks.

The tip width does not directly correspond to the sensor height. You'll need to make two wipes. Assuming your sensor has nothing more than a few fluffs of dust, you can use the other side of the swab.

PM me an address. I can send you a few to sample.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 08, 2013 10:10 as a reply to  @ Geonerd's post |  #19

Thanks, Geonerd! I appreciate that, pm sent. I had compared the swab widths and the sensor height...looked like 13mm for the swabs and ~15mm for the sensor on my T2i. The double pass should handle it. I watched one of the cleaning videos and it looks simple enough. I bought my camera second-hand and it had been well taken care of, but I really don't know the history of it's cleanings...plus, it has been in some somewhat dusty environments, nothing bad, but still I'd like to be prepared.

We have a fantastic blue sky today so I'm going to take some sky shots to look at and see what I can tell about the cleanliness of the sensor. Is the best way to shoot in manual for a centered exposure?

Thanks,
Ed

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 08, 2013 13:02 as a reply to  @ Intheswamp's post |  #20

I took a few blue sky shots and I definitely need to clean my sensor...:neutral:

Ed

pterpm
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 10, 2013 17:21 |  #21

Come back and report my case. Just warn to amateur like me, if you don't know how to do it and never attempt to do it. Hic, i want to D.I.Y now it turn to O.M.G.

I used the plastic brush handle and made to a tool( it not sharp cause i try to cut myself but it not do the job...hihii) . Drop one drop of the Denatured Alcohol that i bought from Lowes
http://www.lowes.com …FNtt%3Dalcohol&​facetInfo= (external link)

to clean sensor and end up with more dirty on sensor and scratched focus screen when i tried to clean with Denatured Alcohol , the more i clean the focus screen more i mess it up. Did the chemical of Denatured Alcohol turn the plastic focus screen turn in to this ?

Please,help .

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 11, 2013 01:56 |  #22

You were advised to use sensor swabs and the proper fluids...? How else can we help?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 11, 2013 02:09 |  #23

pterpm wrote in post #16430309 (external link)
Thank you guys, just order from Amazon for $ 23.70. How many cleans can you do with one order like this one .

http://www.amazon.com …sor-Eclipse/dp/B000PNJL6G (external link)

In this post you indicated that you did the right thing and ordered eclipse fluid and Pec Pads. Why would you experiment with denatured alcohol from a hardware store when you got the right direction in this thread?

My recommendation would be to take your camera to a good pro camera shop (read ... Not Blacks or Best Buy or similar) and get them to clean it. Hopefully you haven't also damaged your sensor and mirror.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

dambuster
22 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 12, 2013 06:02 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #24

We were shown at our Camera club how to do it a few weeks ago and i never realized how easy it was the bloke doing the talk let us clean his sensors on 2 of his cameras his web site does show videos has well of how to do it.

www.cameraclean.co.uk (external link)

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2013 10:11 |  #25

tonylong wrote in post #16441431 (external link)
You were advised to use sensor swabs and the proper fluids...? How else can we help?

:shock:

SmugMug (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 12, 2013 11:54 |  #26

pterpm wrote in post #16440443 (external link)
Come back and report my case. Just warn to amateur like me, if you don't know how to do it and never attempt to do it. Hic, i want to D.I.Y now it turn to O.M.G.

I used the plastic brush handle and made to a tool( it not sharp cause i try to cut myself but it not do the job...hihii) . Drop one drop of the Denatured Alcohol that i bought from Lowes

to clean sensor and end up with more dirty on sensor and scratched focus screen when i tried to clean with Denatured Alcohol , the more i clean the focus screen more i mess it up. Did the chemical of Denatured Alcohol turn the plastic focus screen turn in to this ?

Please,help .

If you're lucky, you have streaks on your screen from the impurities in the alcohol. If you are not lucky, you are looking at a repair bill. I think I read you ordered the Eclipse kit, wait for it to arrive and use it. Hopefully you didn't damage your camera.
I don't know why you did this, there are ample warnings on the internet to not do what you did.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 13, 2013 08:02 |  #27

pterpm wrote in post #16440443 (external link)

Please,help .

I've gotta ask...you did use some type of soft material wrapped over your cleaning wand, didn't you? Have you received your Eclipse and Pecpads? Let us know the outcome.

Best wishes,
Ed

pterpm
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 13, 2013 08:49 |  #28

Intheswamp wrote in post #16447934 (external link)
I've gotta ask...you did use some type of soft material wrapped over your cleaning wand, didn't you? Have you received your Eclipse and Pecpads? Let us know the outcome.

Best wishes,
Ed

I order the lens tissue from herre http://www.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1439.l2649 (external link) and wrap around with the handle of plastic brush, it not sharp at all if compare with Pecpads i just received from Adorama after almost a week since i order it.

Reason i go head and do it mine own way is because the weather changing so fast where i live , i just want caught the moments when the leaf change colors before it get too cold or i can not do that no more ( please, excuse my English)

Second , i thought every parts inside the Canon( like focus screen ) where you can see through made with durable glass . My dumb guess. I already pack up , sent to Canon to get it treat right and pray to God everyday hope i did not mess up so bad

Here is one of my pictures that i took for fall( i'm newbie in photo shooting,please, help me to correct the problem that i have )

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7436/10661246195_7e201747a5_b.jpg

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 13, 2013 11:37 |  #29

That is nice color.

sponsored links

4,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it safe to clean sensor ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.