Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2013 (Monday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I had the worst experience with Canon 5D.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 05, 2013 02:40 |  #16

It's pretty surprising for it to occur on two cameras within minutes of each other!

Maybe it was a curse. :) A punishment from on high for the hubris of his user name - although it has been a long time coming since 2006. (The Tetragrammaton is, in Jewish lore, God's first name. A four letter name that only his closest angelic friends are allowed to use. Regular religious Jews are forbidden to speak it or write it. I won't say more for fear of a thunderbolt hitting the POTN server.)

Elie / אלי

sponsored links
vorlon1
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 05, 2013 03:07 |  #17

You got me interested in this, so I found an interesting wikipedia article about it.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Tetragrammaton (external link)

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin
5Dc Gripped, 6D Gripped, Nikon D300, Olympus OMD-EM1, Fuji XT-20, Pentax 50 1.4, 40mm f/2.8 Pancake, 24-105 mm L, 85mm 1.8, 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, 70-200mm f/4 L, etc.
Smugmug: http://paladinphotos.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,437 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 05, 2013 04:40 |  #18

tzalman wrote in post #16425496 (external link)
Maybe it was a curse. :) A punishment from on high for the hubris of his user name - although it has been a long time coming since 2006. (The Tetragrammaton is, in Jewish lore, God's first name. A four letter name that only his closest angelic friends are allowed to use. Regular religious Jews are forbidden to speak it or write it. I won't say more for fear of a thunderbolt hitting the POTN server.)

Well, since the word Tetragrammaton isn't the name itself but only refers to it, there really shouldn't be any divine punishment here...

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 05, 2013 06:14 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #19

Something to think about. Being a cps member prevents this. You get free cleaning and service on your cameras. Had the OP been a CPS member and had his camera serviced before, during and after every wedding season, this never would have happened.

here ya go

http://www.cps.usa.can​on.com/home/home.shtml (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,756 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 05, 2013 06:30 |  #20

I live in the UK and had the mirror fix done pro-actively when I bought my 5D last year. I had high hopes of a sensor clean and a shutter count but Canon subcontracted the job and I didn't get those done. They do still honour the mirror fix though, but that is little consolation to our OP.

We have had weird humid weather here recently and humidity is what triggers the failure.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 05, 2013 07:31 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #21

Thanks for the replies guys.
Honestly I wasn't aware of this issue before, it just happened that I never came across any information describing this particular issue with the old 5D's.
Any way luckily I had a third body at home which happen to be Canon 5D MKII, so as soon as the second mirror fall, at this time I still was at the bride place covering the preparation, I asked the bride brother to call me a taxi and I went all the way back home to pick up my third body. Good thing was that there wasn't much traffic that same day, so after all I missed only the arrival at the church.
I didn't have problem fixing the cameras, in fact yesterday I picked them up from the office of Fixation.co.uk.
I'm just still in some sort of shock as it is hard to believe that such thing can happen at the same day.
As for tetragramaton it is a very long story ;)

Thanks,
Nikolay.

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

Nalauk
95 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 05, 2013 07:43 |  #22

umphotography wrote in post #16425710 (external link)
Something to think about. Being a cps member prevents this. You get free cleaning and service on your cameras. Had the OP been a CPS member and had his camera serviced before, during and after every wedding season, this never would have happened.

here ya go

http://www.cps.usa.can​on.com/home/home.shtml (external link)

In the UK ( as the OP is ) CPS is different. You don't pay to be a member, it's free, but to qualify you have to own the required amount of kit (think it's 2 bodies and 3 lenses on the qualifying list minimum). But you pay for repairs, service and cleaning etc as needed - although the mirror fix was a FOC warranty repair. You just get the quick turn around and possible use of hire equipment depending if you qualify as Platinum, Gold or Silver.

onurrus
637 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 05, 2013 08:02 |  #23

It sounds like something may be relted with the envoirenmental conditions. Otherwise two cameras fail in the same day sounds two weird or too unlucky to me.

D ­ 550D
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 06, 2013 15:52 |  #24

TETRAGRAMATON wrote in post #16425821 (external link)
Thanks for the replies guys.
Honestly I wasn't aware of this issue before, it just happened that I never came across any information describing this particular issue with the old 5D's.
Any way luckily I had a third body at home which happen to be Canon 5D MKII, so as soon as the second mirror fall, at this time I still was at the bride place covering the preparation, I asked the bride brother to call me a taxi and I went all the way back home to pick up my third body. Good thing was that there wasn't much traffic that same day, so after all I missed only the arrival at the church.
I didn't have problem fixing the cameras, in fact yesterday I picked them up from the office of Fixation.co.uk.
I'm just still in some sort of shock as it is hard to believe that such thing can happen at the same day.
As for tetragramaton it is a very long story ;)

Thanks,
Nikolay.

Might be a silly question, but how come your 5d2 was not the primary camera at the wedding?

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 06, 2013 17:22 |  #25

D 550D wrote in post #16430234 (external link)
Might be a silly question, but how come your 5d2 was not the primary camera at the wedding?

I was wondering this as well....

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 07, 2013 08:17 |  #26

Hi Nikolay,

I guess you had (very) bad luck...

What are the serial numbers of your 5Ds?
Were they on a very hot place, before you started using them?

--
Luis

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2013 09:37 |  #27

mainbyte wrote in post #16424403 (external link)
Isn't the UK in Europe :>;)

That's debatable. ;)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 07, 2013 14:33 as a reply to  @ andrikos's post |  #28

I emailed canon, and they advised they could look up if the mirror was fixed on mine, I bought one thru adorama, went thru 2 others that had issues, they they finally sent me one that was cherry.

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

sponsored links

4,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
I had the worst experience with Canon 5D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.