Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noise reduction software - Whats best?

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 06, 2013 04:42 |  #31

cdifoto wrote in post #16421148 (external link)
I have Neatimage, but don't really use it much anymore. I do know you can manually profile sections of images though.

thanks i will check it

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

sponsored links
CRobH
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 06, 2013 05:08 |  #32

I love Lightroom for everything except their noise reduction. I have had great luck with Topaz DeNoise.

odinsride
48 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 06, 2013 10:37 |  #33

I'm happy with LR5's noise reduction sliders. As I apply some amount of NR to every photo I take, my question to everyone using other NR software + Lightroom together: are you seriously exporting every image to an external program and then back into Lightroom (creating lots of extra files) just for Noise Reduction??

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 06, 2013 13:48 |  #34

I do carry out noise reduction in an external program (Noiseware), but:

- only a small percentage of my images need NR at all;

- when they do, I want to bring noise to the exactly right level, so that's my last editing operation (because subsequent sharpening might substantially change the noise appearance).

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 06, 2013 15:00 |  #35

another one for NIK's DFine

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 06, 2013 15:02 |  #36

triton3k wrote in post #16430102 (external link)
another one for NIK's DFine

DFine flattens too much in my opinion.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

Howard ­ Barlow
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 06, 2013 22:02 |  #37

I have Noiseware, DFine, and DeNoise. Sometimes, I will find one works better on a specific image, than the others.

Smarter than I look, but Momma always said I pretty much had to be.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,920 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 07, 2013 06:41 |  #38

ACR/LR for me.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 07, 2013 11:15 |  #39

tim wrote in post #16407133 (external link)
So from this thread, either:
- You're all exposing exceptionally badly and need NR to recover
- You're using 5+ year old cameras
- You're incredibly fussy

Yes, no, maybe.

I shoot a lot of stage shows that are in low and/or difficult lighting (mixed colors and types of lights - gelled incandescent can-style stage lights, LED stage lights, spotlights (bare or gelled). The nature of the show necessarily requires that I push my ISO in order to keep an acceptable shutter speed. The show I shot on Tuesday night was mostly 1/160, F/2.0, and ISO20000. Yeah, there was noise in the shadows. The alternative to a high-noise photo was no photo at all.

I try not to pixel peep. I know the noise is there. Lightroom/ACR noise reduction is adequate as long as I'm judicious with the sliders; cleaning up noise in the shadows and broad areas of no detail, while maintaining detail where it's necessary (including some skin texture). If I zoom in to 100% it's horrifying and unusable; if I scale it down to screen size or web-usage size then it's perfectly acceptable.

cdifoto wrote in post #16403862 (external link)
Lightroom on lower settings works for me. I use lighting though, and don't really go above ISO1600 very often. I'm also not obsessive enough to add extra steps to my workflow for a generally imperceptible gain.

Agreed entirely.

In this context, I'm not shooting one single masterpiece that's gonna be framed on the wall for eternity; I'm making a few dozen images to document the show, and I gotta get them up on Facebook/flickr/blog while the audience and performers are still excited from the recent show, before their attention turns to the next hot thing. The time spent to export each photo to an external program, apply the NR, and bring it back into my library, just isn't a good tradeoff for the imperceptible improvement.

When I'm shooting more important or more permanent images, I'll supply my own light and use a much lower ISO, thereby necessitating much less NR. But even in those shots, I don't go pixel peeping for the sole purpose of making myself upset over sensor noise.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 07, 2013 17:24 |  #40

tim wrote in post #16407133 (external link)
So from this thread, either:
- You're all exposing exceptionally badly and need NR to recover
- You're using 5+ year old cameras
- You're incredibly fussy

How many people here have customers who've ever mentioned noise? I've had it mentioned once, I explained low light = high iso = noise and the alternatives and they were satisfied.

I do all the time, they had noise and grainy. They all want bright and smooth.

Davidsl222
562 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 14, 2013 01:02 |  #41

Define 2.0 works well but I often mask out the important areas of the photos. (i.e. the bird) I'll use Define for basic noise issues. Noise Ninja (as part of Photo Ninja now) works well but is more manual to use but if you take the time to use Noise Ninja it requires much less masking of the main subject if any at all.

I don't like imagenomic or LR. Imagenomic leaves photos softer than I like. I can never seem to get LR to work correctly - the controls and I just don't agree.

I used Neat Image as a demo and then compared it against Noise Ninja head to head on a very noisy photo that was difficult to correct. I found them equal enough that I decided not to spend more money on Neat Image.

In summary and in my experience. Define is good and easy to use. For more difficult noise issues Noise Ninja is better and compared equally to the demo of Neat Image that I tried. I have the head to head photos at work. I'll try to remember to post them on Friday when I'm there.

Flickr - Life of David (external link)
Stuff: Canon 5D Mark IV : 400mm f/5.6L : 200mm f/2.8L : 100mm f/2.8 : 24-70mm f/2.8L : 1.4xTC III

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,920 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2013 08:43 |  #42

I have Define and like it. I also find LR/ACR is pretty basic and am heading more and more to one stop processing. I seem to like to have more control so I prefer LR/ACR. I was using Define before I became a Adobe RAW converter convert.

This is how I learned to use it. 7D - ISO 12,800. Might be helpful.

I colour noise defaults at 25 so I set it to zero for this.

No NR

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsd4e3af68.jp​g~original (external link)

First you use the colour noise slider to get rid of the blotchiness. Once it goes away stop. If you continue to to move it there is no gain and it will eventually change the colour.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsf65d9e7d.jp​g~original (external link)

Last is the luminance slider which gets rid of the noise/grain. It is a juggling act because the more you reduce noise the less sharp the image will be. Adjust to taste.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps0fc9d39e.jp​g~original (external link)

Final results

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps3c7cf2c9.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 14, 2013 10:57 |  #43

HBOC wrote in post #16405697 (external link)
noise ninja as good - but I use deFine 2.0 with excellent results.

Capture One Pro is also great. I use that to process my night shots, as the RAW engine is better than CS6

wonder how you would compare Capture One to the dedicated noise reduction plug-ins?

I'm hoping to have a one software solution. I don't find noise to be a huge problem even with my XSi, which is just a personal preference, so am not looking to do anything crazy, just need something that can save a shot or two here and there.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Davidsl222
562 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 15, 2013 22:51 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #44

As promised above my Neat Image vs. Noise Ninja test. After looking again I might edge toward Neat Image as better. If you click on the sample then you'll be allowed download the original of each for closer inspection.

Original RAW in DPP @ 100%

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

After Noise Ninja @ 100@

IMAGE NOT FOUND

After Neat Image Demo @ 100% (White Box to show before/after. Neat Image demo only corrects part of photo.)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Flickr - Life of David (external link)
Stuff: Canon 5D Mark IV : 400mm f/5.6L : 200mm f/2.8L : 100mm f/2.8 : 24-70mm f/2.8L : 1.4xTC III

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 23, 2014 21:17 as a reply to  @ post 16407390 |  #45

I use a Canon 50D because that is all I can afford and never go above ISO 1600 because the max of 3200 for the camera - I can find no NR program that will preserve any detail and remove all the noise. I shoot a lot of available light weddings and high school sports in very dim arenas and churches , thus the need for 3200 and NR, even with 1.8 lenses.

sponsored links

17,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Noise reduction software - Whats best?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.