Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 01:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange AW200 Questions

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 03, 2013 01:43 |  #1

Hi,

I was just wondering if I could get some advise from people who are familiar with the Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange AW200 unit.

I am considering using this with my 70-200 F2.8 and was wondering whether it will fit the 2.8, and what is the largest size lens it will fit for the second lens?

In particular I was wondering if I could exchange my 70-200 2.8 with the 24-105, or is the 24-105 too big for the 2nd / exchange lens?

Also - is there anything else I need to consider before buying one of these?

Ta

Adam

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2013 15:41 |  #2

I guess not. :)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 07, 2013 15:47 as a reply to  @ adza77's post |  #3

I happen to have all 3.

Yes the bag will handle the 70- 200 fine, however, I have not tried to carry both the 24-105 and 70-200 at the same time. I usually have one or the other on the camera, swap out 1 lens (put it on the ground) remove the lens from the body and put it in the Lowepro, then attach the lens removed from the bag.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2013 17:44 |  #4

Hi Buford.

Thanks for your reply, but I think we might be talking about a different item here. :)

I'm talking about http://store.lowepro.c​om …lens-exchange-case-200-aw (external link)

It's a pocket/case that only carries one lens at a time (not a bag) but will hold 2 lenses while it is Open. (Designed to allow you to swap lenses with one hand, without having to put a lens on the ground).

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 07, 2013 18:51 as a reply to  @ adza77's post |  #5

The 3rd promo image on the page you linked to has the 70-200 and 24-105 shown. But I personally don't know. :)

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 07, 2013 19:15 |  #6

Problem was OP asked about AW200 which is totally different than 200 AW. Sorry to say I've never seen what you show.'

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2013 20:05 |  #7

No worries. Thanks for replying anyway guys. I'll just order one in through the local shop and see how I go.

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 07, 2013 20:16 |  #8

adza77, that is the exchange bag that I have. The design flaw (from my perspective) is in order to fully allow the exchange, Take the lens off the camera, place it in the bag, then take the other lens out and attach it to the camera is this: The zipper must be fully opened to allow the divider section to expand completely. So the zipper is fully open, and the exchanged lens is only held in place by stitching of the expandable compartment lining which is vinyl/plastic. I choose to only unzip the zipper 3/4 of the way open to hold the exchanged lens only after putting it on the ground.

I hope this helps.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2013 20:51 |  #9

Aah - Thanks Buford, sorry for the misunderstanding.

So it will fit, but I can see your concern re the stitching. I've already put through the order for one now so I guess I'll check it out when it arrives. There may be a way of reenforcing the stitching if I'm not happy - otherwise I'll use your approach.

Cheers

Adam.

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 07, 2013 23:32 |  #10

I have and frequently use both the 200AW and 100AW Lens Exchange cases. You don't have to unzip it all the way to swap the lenses and even if you did it's still better than setting a lens down on unsteady, rough, or dirty ground or even worse juggling two lenses and a camera. I highly recommend them. I use them nearly every time I'm out in the field and have never had a problem or even a near miss. Can't say the same for the method I used before I got them.

I have the whole Lowepro S&F Technical Belt & Harness setup with 8 or 9 attachment pouches and bags and I love it. The only downside is you look like a SWAT team member when your fully decked out with all your gear and a tripod bag slung over your shoulder. It's a great way to clear an area so you can get a prime location to photograph from... for some reason when people see me approaching (I'm 6' 2" 250lbs) decked out in tactical gear they tend to leave the area ;)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 08, 2013 09:23 |  #11

I have both the 100 and 200
70-200 2.8 IS II fits fine in the 200 - a bit tight with the hood reversed but totally fine

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

adza77
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2013 18:02 |  #12

OK - I've received the bag. It looks like I can fit two lenses in at once (for the exchange), one being my 70-200 2.8 with hood reverse - provided I unzip all the way.

At first it looked like they wouldn't fit - but it concertina's out horizontally further than first impressions give.

It might be prudent for me to ensure that the heavier lens is always in the first compartment so there's 2 compartments worth of stitching to go before it falls. Not sure that it would be an issue, but it doesn't cost anything to take the extra precaution.

Might need more than my usual pants belt though - bit of weight to be hanging off just that. :)

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it was a good purchase.

Cheers

Adza

sponsored links

1,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange AW200 Questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.