Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 08 Nov 2013 (Friday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR sales take a dive - Nikon stock drops 30%

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 08, 2013 11:33 |  #1

Declining sales of high-end cameras and lenses are raising an alarming question for companies like Canon (external link) Inc. 7751.TO -0.32% (external link) and Nikon (external link) Corp. 7731.TO -3.63% (external link) : Could the proliferation of camera-enabled, app-heavy smartphones be crushing not only the simple point-and-shoot, but premium models as well?
This year, shipments of what's called "interchangeable-lens cameras"—high-end models that let users swap out different lenses—are diving suddenly after years of robust growth. Most of those are digital single-lens reflex, or DSLR, cameras—the bulky models used by professional photographers and enthusiasts.

http://online.wsj.com …467240457918364​3696236868 (external link)

sponsored links
iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 08, 2013 12:23 |  #2

Yup. I think there was recently a thread that covered the same topic. Obviously the demise of the cheap point and shoot is due to cell phones, but its more complicated with the drop in sales of higher end cameras. I mainly attribute it to the lack of major innovation, cameras that really bring something new to the table will always do well, but the pattern of small incremental upgrades just doesn't work anymore and that's a good thing.

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 08, 2013 16:01 |  #3

Well the last few years we were in a recession. Tons of people jumped on the "try and be a photographer" bandwagon from 09-12. Until magazines, blogs etc start to accept images taken by cell phones to be publishable than the high end stuff will still be around. Just maybe not in the frequency of updates etc.

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 08, 2013 16:04 |  #4

They just need to push more people to buy grips-they must make a killing on them..$300...you have to be joking!!

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 08, 2013 16:13 |  #5

iamascientist wrote in post #16435078 (external link)
Yup. I think there was recently a thread that covered the same topic. Obviously the demise of the cheap point and shoot is due to cell phones, but its more complicated with the drop in sales of higher end cameras. I mainly attribute it to the lack of major innovation, cameras that really bring something new to the table will always do well, but the pattern of small incremental upgrades just doesn't work anymore and that's a good thing.

This! Also price is somewhat of a factor. Raising prices every three months doesnt help. I am not upgrading until canon gives me a better sensor. Until then Ill just stick with my Mkii which is fine for what I shoot. Kind of got over the gotta have it now syndrome and gas.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 08, 2013 16:24 |  #6

iamascientist wrote in post #16435078 (external link)

Agree. Until that major inovation my 7D will do just fine.

watt100
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 08, 2013 17:44 |  #7

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16435669 (external link)
Agree. Until that major inovation my 7D will do just fine.

I've heard some people do just fine with an old 60D
But a major innovation, e.g. sub $1,000 mirrorless camera with good AF would get my attention

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,299 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 08, 2013 17:48 |  #8

watt100 wrote in post #16435857 (external link)
But a major innovation, e.g. sub $1,000 mirrorless camera with good AF would get my attention

I was fine with my 5D until recently. It was only the AF improvement of the 5D3 that made my jump. I plan on sticking with what I've got until there's another quantum leap in AF performance. Maybe eventually they'll get on-sensor AF nailed and go mirrorless, but in a DSLR sized body instead of these tiny mirrorless cameras that just don't feel right in my hand. I'd pay a 5D level price for that. That's probably a few years off though.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 08, 2013 17:55 |  #9

They stopped giving reasons to upgrade and old used DSLRs give 90% of the image that new ones do.

And increasing prices don't help at all.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 08, 2013 19:05 |  #10

watt100 wrote in post #16435857 (external link)

At least one is coming -- the Fuji X-E2. Already the Olympus are bullet fast. And the Nikon systems are faster than anything anywhere.

That said, Canon and Nikon will soon be facing the same problems that Poloroid and Kodak faced -- a failure to recognize that technology is moving the market in a new direction. Its not the seismic shift that digital sensors represented, but the smartphone is pushing from the bottom, and mirrorless is threatening to push from the top. In tandem both will render Canon and Nikon functionally destitute if they don't do something quick. And the M or the Nikon DF are not it.

This space for rent.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 08, 2013 19:10 |  #11

I doubt declines in DSLR sales this year have anything to do with increased use of smartphones, or that it's even anything more than a blip in the long-term trend.

Simply, it's because of the lack of new products.

Last year, Nikon released the D800, D800E, D600 and D4. Canon released the 5D3, 6D and 1Dx. Sony released the A99.

This year, no-one's released anything except incremental upgrades to crop cameras (the A7/A7r sales haven't come through yet). Of course sales figures aren't going to be as high.

watt100
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 09, 2013 05:42 |  #12

Shadowblade wrote in post #16436015 (external link)
I doubt declines in DSLR sales this year have anything to do with increased use of smartphones, or that it's even anything more than a blip in the long-term trend.

it probably does have something to do with the increased use of smartphones

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 09, 2013 05:50 |  #13

Anyone who considers smartphone or point-and-shoot camera output adequate would be unlikely to be in the market for a DSLR in the first place.

MrWho
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 09, 2013 08:09 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #14

Maybe lack of innovation, but the market is just fully mature. The smartphone being often mentioned is just cover for "experts" not willing to admit buying power of the average person has dropped significantly in recent years. DSLRs are just going back to being toys for people with money, kind of like golf or recreational sailing.

Gear

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 09, 2013 08:32 |  #15

Shadowblade wrote in post #16436804 (external link)
Anyone who considers smartphone or point-and-shoot camera output adequate would be unlikely to be in the market for a DSLR in the first place.

I think there is a small segment of the population that will postpone a dslr purchase in lieu of the smartphone. Its the folks that bought the dslr who had a curiousity about "better output". That wanted to take pictures and post process them, to see what the pros did. Most found out it wasn't worth the time it took (for them) and the DSLR sat. Now they can HDR and B&W with the best of us from their iphone, and they are enjoying that.

Heres a bold prediction -- an ILC that offers on board touchscreen processing powered by a killer software that moves pictures quickly to the internet.

Winner.

This space for rent.

sponsored links

14,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR sales take a dive - Nikon stock drops 30%
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.