Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,100 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 06, 2013 02:24 |  #1321

Sirrith wrote in post #16427578 (external link)
Yes, thats why I posted this. Just 2mm and my camera could have been a casualty. Not blaming Luma or anything, maybe it was just a combination of things, but just a warning to check your strap from time to time.
And yes, that is the part directly connecting to my camera. I originally had about 1.5 inches there.

Yikes, that would have been very serious. Sure glad you caught it in time.

Thanks for the warning!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 07, 2013 13:30 |  #1322

Has anyone been able to get reach of Gary recently? He's usually very quick to respond but I've been waiting a little while now.

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 07, 2013 13:39 |  #1323

Greg's probably pissed at you for calling him Gary! ;)

Have you send email from the Luma website or did you just send him a PM?

I think I might still have his phone number from when I met him earlier in the year. Let me see if I can text him and let him know that he is sorely missed by many! :)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Ito
169 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 08, 2013 09:30 |  #1324

I sent Luma an email about 3 weeks ago and I have yet to hear back from them as well.

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 OS | Neewer TT850 Flash x4

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,100 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 08, 2013 11:57 as a reply to  @ Ito's post |  #1325

I just sent Greg a Private Message asking how he is doing, and how the company is going.

Hope to hear back from him soon.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 08, 2013 12:13 |  #1326

Hi guys-

Sorry I haven't been on the forum much. We've been working on a lot of stuff. Like any number of projects, some of them are rabbit holes that you learn a lot from while others are productive. We are also starting something called "marketing," which is a term Luma has never been familiar with. All of this is a build up to the holiday release of Version 3 of a product that we may have had to take off the market a while back due to a patent fiasco...

If you email Support, you aren't getting me (you do get customer service from Duncan Davidson, TED's primary photographer, which is sorta neat). If you've emailed there and not gotten a response, first blame him and second, just shoot off another email. Like I get bogged down with too many projects at once, he can sometimes get bogged down in the email cue. Just copy and paste another one. I also tend to not be on here, so PMs are not the best way to get a hold of me; greg AT luma's domain works.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 08, 2013 12:25 |  #1327

And reading this thread, I just learned of the demise of Carry Speed due to BR's patents...

Wow.

They had done a pretty good job of engineering around BR's work and had patents of their own. Mind you, they also ripped off our aluminum slider/pull tab from the Cinch Mk1, so it wasn't like there is much love lost between us. Still sucks to see the BR train running more people over with a patent they never should have received.

EDITED to add:

Talked to Tim @ Carry Speed. They decided they couldn't fight a "monster with a million dollars in cash." They are moving onto their MongoPod product and new non-camera strap stuff.

He is a smart guy, so he'll be fine. Still sucks to see BR beating people over the head.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 08, 2013 17:12 |  #1328

just received my Luma Cinch today. Looking forward to offloading my Black Rapids. As useable as BR was, I cant support business bully's when given the opportunity to support smaller companies

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 08, 2013 22:48 |  #1329

gnome chompski wrote in post #16435805 (external link)
just received my Luma Cinch today. Looking forward to offloading my Black Rapids. As useable as BR was, I cant support business bully's when given the opportunity to support smaller companies

You'll be happy with the Cinch, I just can't trust the BR straps enough to dangle expensive (for me anyway) camera gear from it.

gakoenig wrote in post #16435042 (external link)
Hi guys-

Sorry I haven't been on the forum much. We've been working on a lot of stuff. Like any number of projects, some of them are rabbit holes that you learn a lot from while others are productive. We are also starting something called "marketing," which is a term Luma has never been familiar with. All of this is a build up to the holiday release of Version 3 of a product that we may have had to take off the market a while back due to a patent fiasco...

If you email Support, you aren't getting me (you do get customer service from Duncan Davidson, TED's primary photographer, which is sorta neat). If you've emailed there and not gotten a response, first blame him and second, just shoot off another email. Like I get bogged down with too many projects at once, he can sometimes get bogged down in the email cue. Just copy and paste another one. I also tend to not be on here, so PMs are not the best way to get a hold of me; greg AT luma's domain works.

Also, good to hear from you Greg! Hope everything's well with you and Duncan!

ChanHoNam
104 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 08, 2013 23:06 |  #1330

Ito wrote in post #16434571 (external link)
I sent Luma an email about 3 weeks ago and I have yet to hear back from them as well.

Same here i sent 2 emails. One to greg and one to support. I msg his facebook where Duncan reply that he will pass on the message to greg and i pm greg here. Still no reply

5D III | 35L | 24-105L | 100L | 70-200L IS F4 | 600EX-RT | 430EX II | YN622C
Sony Nex5N 18-55 & 16 |Flickr (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 08, 2013 23:28 |  #1331

gakoenig wrote in post #16435082 (external link)
And reading this thread, I just learned of the demise of Carry Speed due to BR's patents...

Wow.

They had done a pretty good job of engineering around BR's work and had patents of their own. Mind you, they also ripped off our aluminum slider/pull tab from the Cinch Mk1, so it wasn't like there is much love lost between us. Still sucks to see the BR train running more people over with a patent they never should have received.

EDITED to add:

Talked to Tim @ Carry Speed. They decided they couldn't fight a "monster with a million dollars in cash." They are moving onto their MongoPod product and new non-camera strap stuff.

He is a smart guy, so he'll be fine. Still sucks to see BR beating people over the head.

Yea, I had emailed Tim to see if he was going to be at PhotoPlus but didn't see them listed on the exhibitor list. He ended up calling me and telling me the whole situation. But like you said, he has other ventures with his other company, Photography and Cinema.

He gave me their new Mogopod to review. I still haven't reviewed a Luma yet.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,100 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 08, 2013 23:28 |  #1332

Thank you Greg for the update. Glad to hear you and Luma are still doing fine.
I agree it sucks that BR has killed another company.

gakoenig wrote in post #16435042 (external link)
Hi guys-

Charles

match14
362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 15, 2013 08:28 |  #1333

Looks like someone maybe be trying to copy Luma's design.

http://www.kickstarter​.com …-that-does-more-with-less (external link)

David
500px (external link)
Gear

ToxMox
171 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 15, 2013 08:33 |  #1334

match14 wrote in post #16453491 (external link)

Was thinking the same thing yesterday.

Canon EOS 550D/T2i | EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II | 430EX II | Sigma 50mm F1.4 | Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20mm | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS Macro | Canon Powershot S100 | Clik Elite ProBody Sport (2011 edition) | Think Tank Retrospective 20 | HorusBennu C-2540 Tripod w/ LX-5 Ballhead | Luma Loop (v2)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 15, 2013 09:58 |  #1335

match14 wrote in post #16453491 (external link)

Regardless of use, the concept of "cinch" is all going to be the same and I don't think its patented. So copying? I don't think it is. However, it seems for Luma, to lengthen the strap, you pull up towards your shoulders. To tighten, you pull down towards your hip. With Custom SLR's Air Strap, you pull down to your hips to lengthen and up to tighten. It's opposite.

Mounting connection looks to be different as well. CSLR seems to use the cow-hitch method where as Luma is using a buckle.

Obviously, the straps are different too. There are many things that are different so copying Luma's design, far from it. The only thing they have similar is the cinch concept, that it goes on a shoulder and attaches to a camera. I'd consider it copying if it looked exactly the same.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

sponsored links

276,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.