Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best travel duffel

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 09, 2013 09:47 |  #1

Travel and need to pack bulky stuff or just want a kickass bag for clothes and everything else? It's the 5.11 Tactical SOMS. (external link) This is a website that deals with hardcore military travel items and tactical gear, not known as a baggage store. These are deployment bags, meant to take the hard knocks of military travel. But that's the secret.

When you look at the specs of their bags, you'll be blown away. I have two of their bags, basically rolling duffels on steroids. I'd been looking for bags like this for two years and last year finally found them during a Google search for luggage that would stand up to hard knocks such as travel photography.

The material is heavy 1600D ballistic nylon, the weight is just that of any other suitcase, and the same as the now popular and supposedly lightweight plastic-sided rollers if you compare the same volumes. All corners are covered with hard rubber bumpers, the wheels are more sturdy than I've seen on any other bag, and there are side zip pockets on both long sides. Measurements of the SOMS are exactly 62 inches, the max for a checked in bag that's normal size, so you won't pay for oversized. There's a plastic see through zip case on the top for customs declaration papers when you travel with a lot of gear. It has hard rubber ribs on the bottom to strengthen the length of the bag.

The rolling handle is really beefy and well made. One of the best features is that when empty, the short sides collapse and the height of the bag is minimal for storage. When open, there are two included long aluminum rubber ended rods that hold the bag open to full height. They fit into internal rubber grommets, and you simply remove the rods and collapse the bag for storage.

I have never seen such a well made bag, the older, better Tumi's included. I bought the oversized longer version of this bag for my last trip; it holds tripods and lightstands without an issue. You pay the oversized fee, but it's worth it for the space. It got beat around during a month of travel, but still looks new. All the bags have a lifetime warranty.

The kicker is that the price is exactly the same as for an Eagle Creek duffel, and cheaper than a Tumi or Briggs and Riley of the same size, and infinitely better made. I just got the SOMS this week, as I wanted a standard sized bag for travel. My highest recommendation.

This is a real sleeper, so don't tell your friends until you're sure you have one on order.

Photos courtesy 5.11 Tactical (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 09, 2013 15:49 |  #2

holy crap. The Tactical Cams 2.0 looks like EXACTLY what I'm looking for to use as a lighting rig bag.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 14, 2013 04:33 as a reply to  @ TheAnt's post |  #3

Thanks for the post, I'm always looking for large travel bags .
It'd be interesting to see some interior shots, how the bag is divided or not .

So far, I'm very happy with Ogio; currently I'm using a 9800 and occassionally my old and battered jpeg .

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 14, 2013 05:38 |  #4

While you are shopping at 5.11 pick up some of their covert cargo pants - excellent - I wear them every day.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2013 06:40 |  #5

Petersman wrote in post #16450583 (external link)
Thanks for the post, I'm always looking for large travel bags .
It'd be interesting to see some interior shots, how the bag is divided or not .

So far, I'm very happy with Ogio; currently I'm using a 9800 and occassionally my old and battered jpeg .

Will do this evening when I have some time. Basically, it's one large internal space, with a single Velcro divider that is the full width and height of the bag. It's got MOLLE strips along one of the long sides internally, if you want to add pouches to hold specific items.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2013 18:08 |  #6

THe bag with the partition placed in center, though it can go anywhere, and a closeup of the MOLLE straps.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …/IMG_0169_zps85​815bee.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …/IMG_0170_zpsc3​98800f.jpg (external link)

Jay

sponsored links

1,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best travel duffel
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.