Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jun 2008 (Monday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Beauty Dish Mod for Genesis/D-lites (and others) ...

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2010 11:00 |  #151

For some reason I thought your the deflector you used was flat. Which do you like using the most?

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 17, 2010 11:24 |  #152

seanzky wrote in post #10195783 (external link)
For some reason I thought your the deflector you used was flat. Which do you like using the most?

It's only the stock Speedotron white translucent disc that's flat. The Elinchrom deflectors are concave with a pebbled interior. I prefer the maxi deflector used at 1" from the dish.

I'm in the process of assembling and publishing the thread I mentioned to you Sean. I'll get it going today and will update it over the next few days. I think you'll see a lot of interesting things and perhaps have some questions answered.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2010 11:30 |  #153

Thanks! That would be helpful.

Do you own all these?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ranslucent_Defl​ector.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Deflector_Set_​2_for.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eflector_Set_fo​r_27_.html (external link)

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 17, 2010 11:39 |  #154

I've used the translucent disc but don't own it. For most applications I would rather have an opaque disc than a translucent one.

I own 2 sets of the mini deflectors and rather than buying the maxi, I simply took the deflector that came with my 16" dish and modified it so it installs just like the Elinchrom and it works great. I would have just gotten the Elinchrom but I never use a gold deflector and I couldn't see buying the set if I wasn't going to use the gold, and after having seen the Elinchrom maxi I realized that there was no difference between it and the ebay disc I had. I drilled a hole and created the 'dimple' so the deflector slides straight in to the strobe and it works great.

Robert

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2010 11:42 |  #155

TMR Design wrote in post #10196022 (external link)
I've used the translucent disc but don't own it. For most applications I would rather have an opaque disc than a translucent one.

I own 2 sets of the mini deflectors and rather than buying the maxi, I simply took the deflector that came with my 16" dish and modified it so it installs just like the Elinchrom and it works great. I would have just gotten the Elinchrom but I never use a gold deflector and I couldn't see buying the set if I wasn't going to use the gold, and after having seen the Elinchrom maxi I realized that there was no difference between it and the ebay disc I had. I drilled a hole and created the 'dimple' so the deflector slides straight in to the strobe and it works great.

That was also another reason I didn't buy the set. First, I wanted to ask here. Second, the price. And third, I couldn't justify the price for using just the silver and leaving the gold collecting dust. But you definitely prefer the larger maxi than the mini, then?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 17, 2010 14:00 as a reply to  @ Seanzky's post |  #156

For comparisons of dishes, deflectors and other assorted tidbits, take a look at this thread:

The Beauty Dish: Quality Of Light, Deflectors, Coverage, Falloff And Catch Lights

Robert

trueimage
205 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2011 13:48 |  #157

Hi

Anyone know where I can get a pre-drilled adapter to put a speedotron beauty dish on elinchrom 600 RX lights? Or is someone willing to do it for me and I'll buy it from them? I don't really have the tools to do it and I live in a condo, so it isn't feasible for one item.

Canon 5D Mark II + grip | Canon 1D Mark III
35L | 50mm 1.8 Mk I | 85mm 1.8 | 135L | 24-70L | 100-400L | 17-40L
Elinchrom 2x Style RX 600 | 2x Style 400 BX | EL Skyport
Elinchrom EL Octa 190 | Deep Octa 100 | Rotalux Octa 135 | Rotalux Octa 100 | Rotalux 70x70

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 10, 2013 03:11 as a reply to  @ trueimage's post |  #158

Woh, bet you didn't expect to see this one rise again.

I am looking at the kacey dish (or speedotron). I want it to be on my hensel eh heads most of the time, but able to have the speedring switched our for a lumedyne/cheetah one in case I get some CL-180 or 360's, and also be able to use a speedlight if I am really in a pinch.

I was thinking along the lines of this

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ed_Ring_for_Lum​edyne.html (external link)

Seems to be a lot of clever people on the forum, any ideas?

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

sponsored links

89,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Beauty Dish Mod for Genesis/D-lites (and others) ...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.