Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

OneDeep
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 10, 2013 08:14 |  #1

I know it's not the camera but it's the glass or the photographer that makes the pictures good. But everytime I read an comment online it's something about "he's a rebel user" or "it's a rebel" I don't know it just feel like I can't be taken serious by owning a Rebel or having a camera most soccer moms have. I don't use auto mode didn't from day one besides semi auto sometimes but try to keep it in manual.

I just kind of regret my choice of camera and now saving up for a something else. I'm probably the only one that feel this way. That even if I'm just starting out and learning things about my dslr it's not good enough in the eyes of people because it's a rebel.

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

sponsored links
Tangolima600
54 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 10, 2013 08:24 |  #2

It seems your point is focused on what other are saying but what you should be actually be saying is " What am I lacking that an upgrade would solve?"

Do you have issues with overall picture quality? Shutter speed? ISO performance? These are one of many questions you should ask before considering an upgrade. You were right at the first sentence when you said that skill and technique comes before glass and camera body.

I think you're taking what you see online a little too literally and will come to find that anything can be criticized for no real reason other than people being trolls.

Before we can get anywhere near suggesting an upgrade, you need to explain what you're lacking other than trivial comments that say the rebel is bad. what do you feel is lacking with your shots?

Canon 70D| Canon 6D | Canon 17-40 F/4L | Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 70-200 F/4L | Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM |Canon 50mm 1.4 USM | Canon 580 EX Speedlite | Phottix Odin
Tango Lima Photography (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 10, 2013 08:29 |  #3

Agree with the above. Is your current camera limiting your photography? Are you using it professionally? What model do you have and what are you considering?

90% (probably more) of Canon DSLR sales are Rebels. There are plenty of examples here of amazing shots taken with them.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2013 08:35 |  #4

It's unfortunate, but if you're reading comments here on POTN, there are going to be a lot of "gear heads". Those type of people exist in every type of organization from cars,planes,boats to cameras.

The best thing to do is to evaluate what you shoot, and determine if you are happy with the results. If not, try to determine if it's the actual "gear" holding you back or if it's the user of the gear. 99% of the time it's the user when it comes to camera bodies.There are professional/enthusias​t situations that require high-end equipment for niche jobs, but unless you're in that game it shouldn't enter your mind (unless you have the funds to play with). There may come a time where you want a higher end body to take advantage of more FPS, higher ISO etc., and at time weigh the needs to cost.

Hope that helps.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 10, 2013 08:35 |  #5

I have a 300D rebel and I still use it, does a good job for me. Others like my prints without knowing what they where shot with. I do not care in the least what others think about my equipment. I just did a major upgrade to a t5i. ha ha.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 10, 2013 08:38 |  #6

OneDeep wrote in post #16439215 (external link)
But everytime I read an comment online it's something about "he's a rebel user" or "it's a rebel" I don't know it just feel like I can't be taken serious by owning a Rebel or having a camera most soccer moms have.

You can't let it get to you. There are always those that will look down on equipment because they feel they have something better. The reality of things is the only thing likely to be certain, , is it cost more!

I happen to drive a Porsche Boxster. Porsche drivers flash their headlights when they encounter other Porsches on the road. Need I mention that many Porsche "911" style owners don't do this because they feel the Boxster isn't a real Porsche.

auto-clicker
779 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2013 08:38 |  #7

There are people still using film, don't let them read this OP :)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 10, 2013 08:52 as a reply to  @ auto-clicker's post |  #8

I can put pics taken with my 550D and 5D3 and you won't be able to tell them apart.

Get good glass, know how to use it, and you can take images to rival anyone.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,228 posts
Gallery: 1648 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 10, 2013 09:29 |  #9

Heya,

Rebels are not jokes. They're very good cameras for the cost, and give an entry point to DSLR.

Take a look at the lens archive and see some photos that you'd never guess came from an inexpensive drop sensor with a mid-range lens. It doesn't take top of the line and latest L-glass to achieve exquisite images.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 10, 2013 10:21 |  #10

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16439275 (external link)
I can put pics taken with my 550D and 5D3 and you won't be able to tell them apart.

Get good glass, know how to use it, and you can take images to rival anyone.

I'll take it a step further. I can use a Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens but add light using a cheap $70 flash and get a better looking image than with a 5D3 and 70-200mm IS II.

Who cares what your equipment looks like?

As a personal trainer, do you think it matters what brand of weights someone uses? Do I need Ivankos to get results?

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2013 10:24 |  #11

OneDeep wrote in post #16439215 (external link)
I know it's not the camera but it's the glass or the photographer that makes the pictures good. But everytime I read an comment online it's something about "he's a rebel user" or "it's a rebel" I don't know it just feel like I can't be taken serious by owning a Rebel or having a camera most soccer moms have. I don't use auto mode didn't from day one besides semi auto sometimes but try to keep it in manual.

I just kind of regret my choice of camera and now saving up for a something else. I'm probably the only one that feel this way. That even if I'm just starting out and learning things about my dslr it's not good enough in the eyes of people because it's a rebel.

Don't listen to those few jackwagons, there is nothing wrong with the Rebels. I had a T3i and the main reason I sold it and bought the 60D was the 60D fits my Hand better.

Some of these same people who crap all over Rebels crap on the 60D as it's nothing but a souped up Rebel. Do I care? Nope, not at all. I'm saving up for the Full Frame Rebel to compliment my 60D and shooting style. There is a heck of a lot more things worry about in life than what others think about the (any) gear you own. Don't let them pull you down.

BTW, what Rebel do you own?...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 10, 2013 10:54 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #16439251 (external link)
You can't let it get to you. There are always those that will look down on equipment because they feel they have something better. The reality of things is the only thing likely to be certain, , is it cost more!

I happen to drive a Porsche Boxster. Porsche drivers flash their headlights when they encounter other Porsches on the road. Need I mention that many Porsche "911" style owners don't do this because they feel the Boxster isn't a real Porsche.

My dream car is a 356!

FalloutMan
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 10, 2013 10:57 |  #13

The only two reasons I went with a 7D versus any of Canon's Rebel cameras is because I wanted a fast shutter speed and I just didn't like the feeling they had in my hands (I have long fingers so I enjoy the large profile of the 7D). There are plenty of users here using L glass on rebels that turn out fantastic shots. Hell there are plenty of users here turning out fantastic shots with the 18-55mm kit lens! Don't look at your camera when you ask yourself how you can get better, look at your skill! In fact the best money I have spent to date was on my 50mm f/1.8. Go buy one and you will be amazed at what your camera can do with the right knowledge!

: Canon 7D : EF 28-135 3.5-5-6 :

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 10, 2013 10:57 |  #14

My wife just recently got her Rebel SL1. She's already taking photographs as nice as I'm getting with my 60D. It is all about your vision and the light.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 10, 2013 10:58 as a reply to  @ Chief_10Beers's post |  #15

I would find those comments as motivation to produce results that will make the same people say, "wow, you did that with a rebel?" I try to achieve the same when using a P&S and care less what people say.

sponsored links

74,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.