Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First family photo shoot

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 09, 2013 18:45 |  #1

Hello!

I have been shooting for quite a while. Mostly landscapes and stills for fun. I also have been the unofficial photographer for family gatherings and events.

My brother wants me to do family photos of him, his wife, and 2 kids. I haven't ever really done any organized shooting of people for print. They want to do outside shots. I'm in Seattle, it is pretty gray this time of year. We would probably go to a beach or a park. Missed the Fall leaves.

Anyway, I was hoping to get any advice on what gear I should use and what I should expect. I've read a lot and have a general idea, but am a bit nervous of spending a bunch of time shooting and not getting any good shots.

My gear:
T4i (gripped)
Tamron 18-270mm
Sigma 30mm 1.4
Canon 50mm 1.8
2 - Canon 430 EX II flashes with umbrellas and stands (set up for remote shooting)
Tri-pod
Remote trigger

That's all I can think of. If there is something not too expensive that is worth while to have I can pick it up. I was thinking of a reflector. My friend uses one for his portraits and it seems to work well.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you.

IMAGE: http://reubenjames.smugmug.com/photos/i-6N8r5cz/0/M/i-6N8r5cz-M.jpg
My niece and nephew

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

forouza1
147 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 10, 2013 17:46 |  #2

I think you have pretty much what you need for gear. You might look into renting a nice lens for the day although your Canon and Sigma should serve nicely for group shots. A reflector is nice but only really works if you have some sun to reflect light off.

Also, check out some resources on how to set up some poses (I have a handy iPhone app I use sometime). Get an idea of what kinda of poses and setting you want ahead of time.

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS. My 500px (external link) porfolio. My flickr (external link) photostream.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2013 20:42 |  #3

forouza1 wrote in post #16440504 (external link)
I think you have pretty much what you need for gear. You might look into renting a nice lens for the day although your Canon and Sigma should serve nicely for group shots. A reflector is nice but only really works if you have some sun to reflect light off.

Also, check out some resources on how to set up some poses (I have a handy iPhone app I use sometime). Get an idea of what kinda of poses and setting you want ahead of time.

Thank you. I'll read up on poses.

I'm reading that 85mm is a popular lens for this type of shoot (for FF). That would be about 50mm on my rebel. The 1.8 50mm is like a plastic toy and I haven't been real happy with the IQ. I've been thinking about grabbing a 1.4 Canon 50mm to shoot with. That the kind of lens you were thinking of? I would love a 1.2 50mm but that's a little more than I want to spend.

Should I take my flashes outside?

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

forouza1
147 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 11, 2013 00:05 |  #4

Matrim33 wrote in post #16440948 (external link)
Thank you. I'll read up on poses.

I'm reading that 85mm is a popular lens for this type of shoot (for FF). That would be about 50mm on my rebel. The 1.8 50mm is like a plastic toy and I haven't been real happy with the IQ. I've been thinking about grabbing a 1.4 Canon 50mm to shoot with. That the kind of lens you were thinking of? I would love a 1.2 50mm but that's a little more than I want to spend.

Should I take my flashes outside?

Yeah, the 50mm paired with your crop could work well if you are outside and have room to step away. Indoors, it is challenging to fit everyone in. The 50mm 1.4 is a great lens. Not too expensive either. A little more sharp and better/faster focusing. I wouldn't be too afraid of overcast weather. Sometimes it provides great light. Knowing how Seattle is, it certainly is a tough time to get much sun but you might have luck in the early afternoon.

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS. My 500px (external link) porfolio. My flickr (external link) photostream.

Dave ­ Weldon
473 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 03, 2013 23:50 |  #5

forouza1 wrote in post #16440504 (external link)

Howdy forouza1,

That iPhone app sounds handy :D. Care to share ;)?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
First family photo shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.