Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 02:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Serious photography..... with a phone.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 10, 2013 15:51 |  #16

onona wrote in post #16440171 (external link)
It's the photo that counts, not what was used to take it.

But there are good and bad photo's and cell phones are great for documenting your car accident, but a very poor choice for documenting a wedding.

sponsored links
thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 10, 2013 16:57 |  #17

If shes doing it for free then this is not "serious"

People DO care about resolution and quality. It just depends on the situation. DSLRs are by no means a dead format, cameras are cameras period regardless of format. Different cameras come in handy for different situations, thats all.

The event didnt look too serious, I wouldnt care about quality either.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2013 17:57 |  #18

onona wrote in post #16440171 (external link)
It's the photo that counts, not what was used to take it.

True, but it's hard to claim you're a race car driver when you drive a Ford Pinto!

sjones
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 10, 2013 20:51 |  #19

RandyMN wrote in post #16440229 (external link)
But there are good and bad photo's and cell phones are great for documenting your car accident, but a very poor choice for documenting a wedding.

I've seen some excellent photos born from camera phones; and I can think of a number of photographers whose offer to photograph my wedding (should it ever happen!) would be gladly accepted even if they said they were only going to use a camera phone.

Yes, I get it; the average wedding photographer walks into the place of worship (or barn) with just smartphone in hand, business might not last long. But this does not negate the abilities of a camera phone in the hands of an exceptional photographer.

Anyway, I've said what I need to say, particularly in verbose manner in my related link below, so I'm out---but PM's always welcome.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 10, 2013 20:59 |  #20

sjones wrote in post #16440972 (external link)
I've seen some excellent photos born from camera phones; and I can think of a number of photographers whose offer to photograph my wedding (should it ever happen!) would be gladly accepted even if they said they were only going to use a camera phone.

Yes, I get it; the average wedding photographer walks into the place of worship (or barn) with just smartphone in hand, business might not last long. But this does not negate the abilities of a camera phone in the hands of an exceptional photographer.

Anyway, I've said what I need to say, particularly in verbose manner in my related link below, so I'm out---but PM's always welcome.

Any great craftsman or artist knows the best way to produce their best work is the proper choice of tools for the job. An artist has many brushes to choose from and a builder has many tools. To limit them with one brush or one hammer and saw could possibly still allow them to create something of value, but why?

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 10, 2013 21:04 |  #21

Sibil wrote in post #16439085 (external link)
If I am asked to bring my camera to an event and be the photog (not pro, BTW), I have no hesitation grabing those extended arms and pulling them out of my way, if they are within my reach.

That's assault in most of the US. People around here will slap you in the mouth for that.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 10, 2013 21:40 |  #22

RandyMN wrote in post #16440229 (external link)

If documenting is all you're doing, you can shoot anything with anything.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,528 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 10, 2013 21:44 |  #23

Elfstop wrote in post #16441009 (external link)
That's assault in most of the US. People around here will slap you in the mouth for that.

LOL, depends on how gentle you are.

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 10, 2013 21:45 |  #24

I think DSLR's are dying not necessarily because of the image quality they deliver...I mean new DSLRs like the D800, 5Diii or 1DX are how many more times as powerful as an iPhone 4s???

I think that DSLRs were a "noobsumer" fad, like netbooks, that crashed when people realized that extra buttons and dials didn't make them better photographers. And when they realized that their phones did the same thing for them, and were 100 times more convenient, then it was all over for NiCan's "entry level" DSLR market.

On the pro side of things...a 5Diii does not make my pictures better than my 5Dii. It's not THAT much of an upgrade. Mirorless are actually making my life easier in some areas...but even they have a hard time competing against the cost and convenience of phones.

My rant... :)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 10, 2013 21:46 |  #25

Brad Mangin shoots for MLB and published a book with instagram shots:
http://instagram.com/b​mangin (external link)

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 10, 2013 21:47 |  #26

cdifoto wrote in post #16441069 (external link)
If documenting is all you're doing, you can shoot anything with anything.

I guess I considered shooting a wedding photojournalist style as documenting events of a wedding. Major difference between using a cell phone with limited choices and a professional camera body with various lenses ISO, reach, shutter, aperture etc.

I guess you interpret the meaning different than I do since documenting damage after an accident has completely different meaning than documenting the events at a wedding.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 10, 2013 22:25 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

xchangx wrote in post #16441086 (external link)
Brad Mangin shoots for MLB and published a book with instagram shots:
http://instagram.com/b​mangin (external link)

But, the difference between a still life versus a sport photo is the movement of the action. Shooting a baseball player standing around doing nothing is no different than shooting an apple resting on a table. As long as the subject isn't moving at all, you can take photos of them even using a field camera or view camera...4x5 or 8x10. As long as there are movements, you need your DSLR here.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 10, 2013 22:45 |  #28

RandyMN wrote in post #16441089 (external link)
I guess I considered shooting a wedding photojournalist style as documenting events of a wedding. Major difference between using a cell phone with limited choices and a professional camera body with various lenses ISO, reach, shutter, aperture etc.

I guess you interpret the meaning different than I do since documenting damage after an accident has completely different meaning than documenting the events at a wedding.

I consider professional wedding photography to be more than just documenting what happens.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 10, 2013 22:55 |  #29

cdifoto wrote in post #16441195 (external link)
I consider professional wedding photography to be more than just documenting what happens.

You are playing with words. Some brides want a completely photo-journalistic approach to documenting their events. This means no interference from the photographer other than simply allowing the events of the day to take place and making darn sure you capture them. Perhaps that is not your style, but regardless of how you define 'documenting' the events of a wedding, clearly more is involved than just pointing and clicking the shutter.

It's still photography and can tax all of the creative talents of the best in the business. It's getting off track of my original point by playing with the definition of 'documenting'. I only used that term to compare an accident with a wedding using a cell phone.

Charlie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,139 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 10, 2013 23:12 |  #30

Sibil wrote in post #16439085 (external link)
If I am asked to bring my camera to an event and be the photog (not pro, BTW), I have no hesitation grabing those extended arms and pulling them out of my way, if they are within my reach.

I had a negative reaction to her. I literally swiped her out of the way as if it were primal instinct. Took me a second to catch myself and apologize to her(she was super pissed). Not sure what came over me.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

8,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Serious photography..... with a phone.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.