Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Establishing Wi-Fi on a 6D

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2013 21:49 |  #1

It seems like a very tedious process I have to go thru to establish wi-fi on my 6D. I'm going to list the steps and if you can tell me a shorter way I'd appreciate it greatly:
1. ON PHONE (Samsung Galaxy S III): Settings > wi-fi > (The nickname you set up for your camera)> Edit (the password field field is blank and waiting for your encryption key)
2. ON CAMERA: Menu > wi-fi function > Connect to smartphone > review/change settings > change settings > camera access point mode > OK > easy connection > OK > enter encryption key into phone
3. BACK TO PHONE: Enter key into password area > Start EOS App > Tap EOS 6D pairing slot
4. Back to Camera: Push OK > Ignore "settings name SET 1" and just select "OK" > push OK
5. ON PHONE AGAIN: Push "remote shooting" and it works.
What a horrific process. What am I doing wrong?

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

sponsored links
MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 02, 2013 15:33 |  #2

Hello,

I've been going through this too... here is a sequence I just tried and it works.

On the camera

• enable Wifi,
  • select wifi function connect to smartphone,
  • choose saved settings,
  • Connect
  • OK
On the phone or tablet
  • Wifi
  • Select 6D network
  • Connect
  • Run EOS remote
The steps you describe are what you have to do the first time (authenticate with the key, pairing etc). I think the trick is not to ignore SET1 (at your step 4), but give the settings a name. The settings are saved for next time on the camera and they include the key. The phone remembers the key too and associates it with the wifi network, so you don't have to enter it every time.

I have two sets of settings... one for when the camera provides the wifi network (camera access point mode) and one for when camera and phone both connect to my home wifi (infrastructure mode). In the second case I don't have to change wifi settings on the phone, I can just run EOS remote (assuming the phone is already on the home wifi).

I hope that helps,

Mark

irishman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2013 18:13 |  #3

Just saw this, Mark. Thanks for the info and I'll try it tonight when I get home.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

SVTmaniac
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 07, 2013 18:58 as a reply to  @ irishman's post |  #4

I only had to set mine up once and save the settings. Now all I do is enable wifi on camera and connect my phono to wifi network. Then start up EOS remote and I'm good to go. Takes me all of 30 seconds.

-Chris
More gear than talent.

irishman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 10, 2013 16:34 |  #5

MintMark wrote in post #15436011 (external link)
Hello,

I've been going through this too... here is a sequence I just tried and it works.

On the camera
  • enable Wifi,
  • select wifi function connect to smartphone,
  • choose saved settings,
  • Connect
  • OK
On the phone or tablet
  • Wifi
  • Select 6D network
  • Connect
  • Run EOS remote
The steps you describe are what you have to do the first time (authenticate with the key, pairing etc). I think the trick is not to ignore SET1 (at your step 4), but give the settings a name. The settings are saved for next time on the camera and they include the key. The phone remembers the key too and associates it with the wifi network, so you don't have to enter it every time.

I have two sets of settings... one for when the camera provides the wifi network (camera access point mode) and one for when camera and phone both connect to my home wifi (infrastructure mode). In the second case I don't have to change wifi settings on the phone, I can just run EOS remote (assuming the phone is already on the home wifi).

I hope that helps,

Appreciate this info! Did it--works!
Bruce

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 12, 2013 12:17 as a reply to  @ irishman's post |  #6

Great!

I've been using it some more since then as well, just to transfer the odd jpg to send in an email... seems good for that too.

Mark

captainkanji
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 13, 2013 09:25 |  #7

If my iPad mini isn't connected to a network already, it will automatically connect to the 6D network when I turn wifi on in camera (after the initial setup of course). Otherwise, it's as easy as a couple buttons to switch networks. Works fantastic for me.

Canon 6D, EF 135f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8 II USM, EF 50mm f\1.4 USM, EF 40mm f\2.8 STM, 430exII speedlite, Flashbender.

Randall ­ n ­ LV
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 09, 2013 16:14 |  #8

Can some one tell me where I can find my network password? I am trying to setup my tablet and I didnot write down the password when I setup my phone.

My Flickr  (external link)
My Gear
Randall's Fine Art & Custom Framing (external link)

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Nov 10, 2013 22:07 |  #9

Randall n LV wrote in post #16437892 (external link)
Can some one tell me where I can find my network password? I am trying to setup my tablet and I didnot write down the password when I setup my phone.

Set up your wifi network in your camera, then use tablet to connect the camera wifi.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

Russo09
735 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 10, 2013 22:09 |  #10

Anybody know how to change the nickname for the camera? SSID?

-Nick
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 17-40mm f2L

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Nov 11, 2013 00:04 |  #11

Russo09 wrote in post #16441139 (external link)
Anybody know how to change the nickname for the camera? SSID?

http://media.the-digital-picture.com …OS-6D-WiFi-GPS-Manual.pdf (external link)

Select "wifi- function" in menu then press info button and select edit nick name.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

sponsored links

12,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Establishing Wi-Fi on a 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.