Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 19:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you store your gels?

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 10, 2013 19:00 |  #1

I keep my gels in a ziplock bag in my camera bag, but I'd like something a little more organized. Anyone have any good storage tips?

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 11, 2013 03:28 |  #2

I use 600 EX-RT which come with a neat little gel holder, and a little wallet to hold the gels
I made a template i can hold on a sheet of gel and quickly cut around with a sharp knife, so i have made a whole bunch of different gels.

I have two of the supplied wallet/sleeve things, so one has colour correction, the other has colour effect gels.

In the sleeves i have Full CTO, other CTO, blue, and other (plusgreen and urban vapour)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2013 10:51 |  #3

I keep mine in a cabinet with the other old film stuff. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just don't see any need for them anymore.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 11, 2013 11:00 |  #4

rgs wrote in post #16442185 (external link)
I keep mine in a cabinet with the other old film stuff. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just don't see any need for them anymore.

I use mine at least once a week !

Not trying to be a smart ass either, but I use a CTO a lot, typically to balance my flash with Tungsten light inside a house.
Or a 1/2 CTO to put a flick of "late afternoon sun" into a face.

Sure it can be done in Photoshop, but I would rather spend 30 seconds changin WB and sticking a Gel on, than 30 mins in photoshop messing with layers.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 11, 2013 11:10 |  #5

The honl gels come in thick ziplock bags. Mine sit in those.

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2013 13:25 |  #6

I picked up a small accordion-style holder from Walmart for a few dollars. It's roughly 4"x6" size, with multiple dividers to help me keep my gels organized.

EDIT: Fairly similar to this: http://www.lionop.com …oductimages/b/9​4800AS.jpg (external link)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2013 13:26 |  #7

Echo63 wrote in post #16442208 (external link)

Not trying to be a smart ass either, but I use a CTO a lot, typically to balance my flash with Tungsten light inside a house.

Sure it can be done in Photoshop, but I would rather spend 30 seconds changin WB and sticking a Gel on, than 30 mins in photoshop messing with layers.

Good point however I would (if possible) filter the flash to balance light.

If you shoot in raw it doesn't take hours in PS. Use LR. Just apply a profile on import. Same result as using a WB for JPEGS except no additional filter to (possibly) lower IQ.

I went through years of filtering and special effects in camera. I've been told I was quite good at it. I am grateful to be able to do all of that digitally now. CPL and ND is all I need for the camera and maybe a filter or two for a flash. I'll shut up now. I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2013 13:31 |  #8

I'd like to know how to 'easily' fix mixed lighting in LR... let's say florescent (or tungsten) ambient lighting with a balanced amount of flash used for fill.

I use gels specifically so I don't have to spend the time trying (because I can't) to fix this in post.

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2013 15:25 |  #9

drvnbysound wrote in post #16442660 (external link)
I'd like to know how to 'easily' fix mixed lighting in LR... let's say florescent (or tungsten) ambient lighting with a balanced amount of flash used for fill.

I use gels specifically so I don't have to spend the time trying (because I can't) to fix this in post.

Gel the flash. It takes a smaller gel, loses the same amount of light, and the optical condition of the gel is unimportant so protecting them is less of a problem.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2013 17:07 |  #10

rgs wrote in post #16443050 (external link)
Gel the flash. It takes a smaller gel, loses the same amount of light, and the optical condition of the gel is unimportant so protecting them is less of a problem.

Sorry, I think there may have been some confusion on my part... I misread what you previously wrote and thought you were stating not to bother with gels if you shoot RAW and that it's a quick fix in Ps (or Lr) to correct.

I definitely understand the value of gels, I have and use them regularly with OCF.

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2013 18:05 |  #11

drvnbysound wrote in post #16443351 (external link)
Sorry, I think there may have been some confusion on my part... I misread what you previously wrote and thought you were stating not to bother with gels if you shoot RAW and that it's a quick fix in Ps (or Lr) to correct.

I definitely understand the value of gels, I have and use them regularly with OCF.

I wasn't thinking of a gel on a flash when I said that. The LR fix is for white balance, not mixed lighting. Sorry for the confusion.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2013 19:36 |  #12

rgs wrote in post #16443491 (external link)
I wasn't thinking of a gel on a flash when I said that. The LR fix is for white balance, not mixed lighting. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries... yeah, I read this post you made:

rgs wrote in post #16442638 (external link)
Good point however I would (if possible) filter the flash to balance light.

If you shoot in raw it doesn't take hours in PS. Use LR. Just apply a profile on import. Same result as using a WB for JPEGS except no additional filter to (possibly) lower IQ.

I went through years of filtering and special effects in camera. I've been told I was quite good at it. I am grateful to be able to do all of that digitally now. CPL and ND is all I need for the camera and maybe a filter or two for a flash. I'll shut up now. I don't mean to hijack this thread.

To which you quoted (and were responding to):

Echo63 wrote in post #16442208 (external link)

Since the discussion was really about gels, and Echo63 mentioned that he uses gels to balance the flash with tungsten light... then you responded saying, shoot in RAW and that you do it digitally. I thought you knew something that I didn't ;)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,293 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Nov 11, 2013 21:35 |  #13

Laminated and carabiner....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

CincyTriGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 11, 2013 23:04 |  #14

SYS wrote in post #16444059 (external link)
Laminated and carabiner....

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by SYS in
./showthread.php?p=164​44059&i=i97964895
forum: Canon Accessories

Now that's cool. But how do you attach them to your flash?

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 11, 2013 23:20 |  #15

ziplock bag for me but a nice little tin can like the one that comes with the lee big stopper would be cool

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

sponsored links

2,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you store your gels?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.