Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.

tsdevine
274 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2013 17:56 |  #31

Hmm.....4/3rds (Oly/Panasonic) might take that crown right, no adapter even...

LikeStig wrote in post #16435615 (external link)
Funny to think sony would be the first to introduce a camera that utilizes lenses besides their own.

Tim Devine Photography (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,309 posts
Gallery: 1732 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 09, 2013 21:03 |  #32

jdizzle-''Imagine a FF sensor in a p&s style body' you 've got in now in these new bodies.
Hey, for fun today I popped on my ancient 80-200mm G Minolta on to a Nex-7 via the adapter. Options are a fun thing.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Six ­ Fifty ­ B
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2013 22:08 |  #33

andrikos wrote in post #16428714 (external link)
It only took 30 seconds. Barely time enough to post twice on this forum... ;)

Don't think i don't agree with you. Canon is woefully behind in the sensor front.

If a car metaphor is to be used, they make great cars but their engines are still running with carburettors. Kind of like Nascar... ;)
Canon! We need Formula 1! :mad:

NASCAR uses fuel injection.

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 10, 2013 14:31 |  #34

Six Fifty B wrote in post #16438524 (external link)
NASCAR uses fuel injection.

in 2012!!!

Welcome to the mid 1970s, NASCAR! :D

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 10, 2013 17:21 |  #35

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #16438410 (external link)
jdizzle-''Imagine a FF sensor in a p&s style body' you 've got in now in these new bodies.
Hey, for fun today I popped on my ancient 80-200mm G Minolta on to a Nex-7 via the adapter. Options are a fun thing.

If you want to quote a comment hit the "quote" button. :)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2013 03:29 |  #36

The little A7R is more exciting than anything Canon released since the 5D2. I've preordered mine.

AF speed and FPS means nothing to me.
IQ (resolution, dynamic range, performance at base ISO) is everything.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Stelvio
165 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 11, 2013 04:14 |  #37

It looks like the A7 is going to be around the same price as a 6D here in Europe. I'm wondering if the A7 is a suitable replacement for a FF DLSR for professional portrait photographers (newborn/kids/family)

I'm considering the 6D for it's low light performance, a must for natural light newborns, but will hold off if the A7 can get close in the low light performance as it seems to be better in almost every other area.

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 11, 2013 04:59 |  #38

Stelvio wrote in post #16441548 (external link)
It looks like the A7 is going to be around the same price as a 6D here in Europe. I'm wondering if the A7 is a suitable replacement for a FF DLSR for professional portrait photographers (newborn/kids/family)

I'm considering the 6D for it's low light performance, a must for natural light newborns, but will hold off if the A7 can get close in the low light performance as it seems to be better in almost every other area.

6D famously can focus (center point) under the light of a full moon.
However, the light in a studio is orders of magnitudes brighter so you shouldn't have problems with either.

Since focus speed is not critical, in your case, I'd slap on the 85L on the a7 and call it good! ;)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

adza77
641 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 11, 2013 05:26 |  #39

I am finding this exciting.

Coming from Olympus with not much of a kit, I decided to start afresh. I really liked the Sony body at the time, but decided if I was going to invest a lot of money in glass, it would be wiser to go with Nikon or Canon as there is a lot more around (esp 2nd hand), and Sony were pretty new to the market. As we all know, glass is where the real investment is - not a body.

As such, I ended up choosing Canon, but really wished that I could have purchased the Sony body at the time - I just couldn't bring myself to invest in (and commit to) Sony glass.

But this is a whole new ball game! I'd be quite happy to consider a Sony body if it was compatible with Canon glass. I think it's a very smart move by Sony, that's going to work for all us (even for those who don't buy Sony - it will give Canon more reason to dig deeper too)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,904 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 11, 2013 08:14 |  #40

andrikos wrote in post #16440060 (external link)
in 2012!!!

Welcome to the mid 1970s, NASCAR! :D

Fuel injection hit the race track in the late 1940s.

NASCAR banned fuel injection, and it wasn't because they weren't smart enough to make cars that used it.

I would give up photography if you made me use the Sony a7(R). I don't like the way it looks, feels, I don't like the shooting interface, and its speed takes us back to the Rebels of 5(?) years ago. The sensor doesn't make the camera.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2013 11:55 |  #41

waterrockets wrote in post #16441861 (external link)
I would give up photography if you made me use the Sony a7(R). I don't like the way it looks, feels, I don't like the shooting interface, and its speed takes us back to the Rebels of 5(?) years ago. The sensor doesn't make the camera.

..But the sensor is the most important part. At least it is way more important than the way the camera "looks and feels".

Looks and feeling won't give you better images, but a top of the line sensor will! .. Sure, even an outdated sensor with shadow banding (like the 5D3) can make nice photos, but why settle for anything less than the best?

And speed?? Yeah, We're gonna need lots of speed to catch those mountains. And lets not forget those crazy models running around in the studio! :lol:

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 11, 2013 12:05 |  #42

waterrockets wrote in post #16441861 (external link)

Nobody is making you do anything. It's a "free" world.
Sure, it's a slow camera (I have a 7D for speed), but its advantages vastly outnumber its disadvantages.

YMMV

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 11, 2013 12:32 |  #43

So, can anyone tell me what the downsides of using an EF lens on one of these would be, that doesn't include AF? (I manual focus almost everything).

Are there any limitations in using existing Canon glass on these?

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 11, 2013 13:02 |  #44

Todd Lambert wrote in post #16442490 (external link)
So, can anyone tell me what the downsides of using an EF lens on one of these would be, that doesn't include AF? (I manual focus almost everything).

Are there any limitations in using existing Canon glass on these?

So far all tests shows that there are no downsides.

Even the TS-E lenses are working flawlessly with the metabones adapter. See this post (and link) in the A7R-thread: https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16433246&pos​tcount=369

If that doesn't convince you, Fred Miranda said he will do a big EF-lens test with the A7R in december.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,904 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 11, 2013 13:21 |  #45

Ginga wrote in post #16442395 (external link)
..But the sensor is the most important part. At least it is way more important than the way the camera "looks and feels".

Looks and feeling won't give you better images, but a top of the line sensor will! .. Sure, even an outdated sensor with shadow banding (like the 5D3) can make nice photos, but why settle for anything less than the best?

And speed?? Yeah, We're gonna need lots of speed to catch those mountains. And lets not forget those crazy models running around in the studio! :lol:

When you wrap the best sensor up in a compromised body, it's wasted. Certainly it will be great for 1000s who will buy it. It would not be great for me. I've got a body that allows me to lay in the pool gutter when a fast high school swimmer launches 3 gallons of water on me at the finish of the butterfly, while still allowing me to get 10 perfectly focused images of her last stroke.

I take maybe two pictures of dirt and plants every year, and my 1D has plenty of dynamic range for those shots. My models are running around... on soccer fields and such.

The sensor is FAR from the most important part. Ridiculous statement when even the cheapest mainstream DSLRs bring great IQ.

andrikos wrote in post #16442425 (external link)
Nobody is making you do anything. It's a "free" world.

Thanks for clearing that up

andrikos wrote in post #16442425 (external link)
Sure, it's a slow camera (I have a 7D for speed), but its advantages vastly outnumber its disadvantages.

YMMV

My mileage does vary. It may well have more advantages than a good Canon DSLR, but if you just list bullet points, at some point you have to weight those for a given user. They aren't going to add up to "buy" for many people.

For my photographs, the number of times I've thought "damn, this would be a great shot if I had more dynamic range" could be counted on no hands.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links

443,858 views & 24 likes for this thread
Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.