Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WOW CHECK THIS OUT!

xarik
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 10, 2013 23:45 |  #1

lol just chose a title to get people to look, hope it worked

I have these two images (Same ones) and one looks good on one monitor and TERRIBLE on the other...and vise versa. One is too warm on one and perfect on the other, other image is perfect on one and SUPER cool on the other.

http://tinypic.com/r/1​5yglsz/5 (external link)

IMAGE: http://i41.tinypic.com/k2nvb4.jpg

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

sponsored links
xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 10, 2013 23:45 |  #2

IMAGE: http://i41.tinypic.com/15yglsz.jpg

Wouldn't show this one for the first one

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 11, 2013 13:28 |  #3

You have to calibrate your monitor, and shoot a gray card for a custom WB. It'll solve all these types of problems.

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

Please 'Like' my fan page by clicking here (external link)

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 11, 2013 14:20 |  #4

Calibrating my monitors is expensive and doesn't seem to be in my budget right now...I can't pay $200 to calibrate my monitors every time.

What is a gray card? Is that the in camera custom WB on the first photo I take?

I heard online from a good photographer that it isn't the best to calibrate your monitor (cuz of price) unless you are printing...the customer doesn't have a calibrated monitor :P

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2013 14:30 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

You can buy a Spyder calibration system. I bought the cheapest version I believe for $80 or so and it lets you calibrate one monitor as many times as you want. Look into it.

And to me, the eyes look soft.

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 11, 2013 14:37 |  #6

You don't pay $200 every time. I'm not even sure how you'd come to this conclusion.

I heard online from a good photographer that it isn't the best to calibrate your monitor (cuz of price) unless you are printing...the customer doesn't have a calibrated monitor :P

You either didn't understand, or the person saying this is not very bright.

For a screen calibration system, like a Spyder, you pay for the device, and then can use it as much as you want.

The flipside of your above statement... Yes. The customer likely doesn't have a calibrated display. So, why do you care if it's too warm or too cool on your also non-calibrated displays?

Also.. you have multiple displays and don't have the cash for a calibrator?

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 11, 2013 14:38 |  #7

Yep, check calibration, after the initial calibration, every month. Who ever told you that it's not a good idea to calibrate your monitor.... well... don't take any more advice from him.

A calibrated gray card can be purchased from any camera store, and yes, you take your 1st images of the card in the same light as your other shot, and change the wb in camera to use the image of the card. Don't use an image of something else, like a landscape, or a person.

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2013 14:43 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Here is the Spyder Express (external link). $79

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 11, 2013 14:47 |  #9

No even $200 forever is a bit of money for me :P I have looked into the Spyder system and I just don't find it to be worth it cuz it's quite a bit of money for not printing. Multiple displays doesn't mean I have a large set up of 24 in monitors that are $400 each lol...I have a laptop and a $50 external monitor from HP :P...I did the Windows calibration...I'm just trying to figure out which monitor is closer...can someone tell me which image looks better on their calibrated monitor? They just said they don't prefer to calibrate their monitors, they didn't say it was a bad idea...For a non pro who does it for a little bit of cash on the side, I don't know if it's really worth it :/

Problem is that I'm moving and the lighting changes quite a bit so idk if Gray card will help or not, but I'll look into that for sure! More worried about post production temperature

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 11, 2013 14:47 |  #10

Thanks btw! Glad you guys are looking at this! :)

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 11, 2013 15:02 |  #11

xarik wrote in post #16441293 (external link)
lol just chose a title to get people to look, hope it worked

I have these two images (Same ones) and one looks good on one monitor and TERRIBLE on the other...and vise versa. One is too warm on one and perfect on the other, other image is perfect on one and SUPER cool on the other.

The solution to your problem IS MONITOR CALIBRATION and an in cam custom WB. Uncalibrated, the way that you are, you will never know what is right, and the color of your images will always be out of whack. If "the customer" goes to print their images, they will be out of whack. This is not the attitude of a professional. Let's hope your not getting paid for these images.

Camera bodies cost thousands of dollars, lenses cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. $79 is CHEAP, to give your customers a quality product.

--Rick

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 11, 2013 16:23 |  #12

xarik wrote in post #16442930 (external link)
For a non pro who does it for a little bit of cash on the side, I don't know if it's really worth it :/

YES IT IS, Period. As soon as you said "does it for a little bit of cash on the side" you made it important. Seriously.

xarik wrote in post #16442930 (external link)
More worried about post production temperature

This is WHY you get a calibrator ($80 or cheaper if you get used).

rsieminski wrote in post #16442975 (external link)
The solution to your problem IS MONITOR CALIBRATION and an in cam custom WB. Uncalibrated, the way that you are, you will never know what is right, and the color of your images will always be out of whack. If "the customer" goes to print their images, they will be out of whack.

WORD!!
And if they get photos from you that look bad because the colors are whack, you think you just helped or hurt your chances of getting more cash on the side with repeat business or word-of-mouth??

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2013 16:28 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

rsieminski wrote in post #16442975 (external link)
If "the customer" goes to print their images, they will be out of whack.

Even if your monitor is calibrated, if the printer hasn't calibrated their printer to match your profiles your prints won't match screen either. It's dizzying just thinking about it.

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 11, 2013 17:55 |  #14

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16443252 (external link)
Even if your monitor is calibrated, if the printer hasn't calibrated their printer to match your profiles your prints won't match screen either. It's dizzying just thinking about it.

That's where educating the customer as to where to get the prints processed is part of the service, however I don't know of any printer that does not do calibrations, or offer ICC profiles. I make prints all the time, including canvasses, and have only had a problem once, and that was at a budget printer that needed to turn off their auto color/tome correction. It's only a couple of $ more for a good printer, so it's a no-brainer.

--Rick

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 11, 2013 20:33 |  #15

Alright alright, take it easy everyone :P

Thank you for informing me about all of this! I obviously needed a bit more edumacation ;P

I have two monitors displaying (External old one LCD, and my laptop screen)....I can't spend too much right at this moment, but would obviously like to make things nice for the customer in case they do print. I have two displays (and probably will forever cuz I like it so much) so I would probably have to get the Spyder4pro :/ is there any other alternative or does Spyder have a monopoly on this market?

sponsored links

2,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
WOW CHECK THIS OUT!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.