Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon users, how much do you value Dynamic Range?

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 11, 2013 15:22 |  #1

With Nikon and Sony releasing cameras equipped with remarkable sensors and Canon clearly playing catch up, I wonder if most of you values dynamic range. I personally do not being a portrait photographer, it's nice to have but with what I shoot, this is rarely an issue. I don't really deal with extreme situations where details in highlights or shadows needs to be pushed or pulled a great deal, I expose to my liking and make subtle adjustments via post.

But, sometimes, I do wonder what impact having a great dynamic range would have. Obviously, a sensor doesn't make a camera, there are so many features that's much useful to photographers, but in this case, how much do you find a need for a better dyanmic range?

sponsored links
MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 11, 2013 15:28 |  #2

Dynamic range is a massive help with landscape photography.

I feel it's a very big deal that canon are falling behind. That said... I know canon will catch up.

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 11, 2013 15:36 |  #3

Its also help to most genres of photography, especially when banding pops up in the shadows at iso 100. Whats sad is Canon seems to have the most trouble with this amongst all digital camera makers currently.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

PNPhotography
795 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 11, 2013 15:39 |  #4

Most of the time-overrated.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Rittrato
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 11, 2013 15:40 |  #5

canon rookie wrote in post #16443098 (external link)

Please explain? Thanks.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2013 15:47 |  #6

I value it with my landscape work. However, most of the time when the scene requires more dynamic range than the 5D3 can handle, it also requires more than the Sony sensor can handle as well, so I'd be stuck bracketing/filtering anyways.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

KeyserSoze1
525 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2013 16:09 as a reply to  @ tagnal's post |  #7

As a previous Canon system owner, I can tell you that this has totally changed the way I shoot things. With Canon, even when shooting RAW, I'm always scared with chroma noise and banding. Now I have so much leeway in retaining details in highlights and shadows and any luminance noise looks pretty excellent. Nikon has provided their customers a great deal of options when processing their files. I still have mad love for Canon lenses though :cool:

Canon 5DM III, 35 1.4 II 50 1.2L
Canon 6D/// RX1

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,506 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 11, 2013 18:16 |  #8

If dynamic range were wide enough in the sensor, features in post processing like HDR are totally unnecessary for the most part, and we could have high dynamic range even in action shots (unlike HDR which is virtually useless where scene changes between successive shots occurs).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 11, 2013 23:14 |  #9

MOST of the time I don't think about DR for what I shoot...but I've found that it is one of those things that when you don't have it and need it, you realize how behind Canon is in that department. The banding is real. Pull up shadows and there it is in all it's stripped glory.
I've rented an EM5 and the files from that Sony made sensor showed me a thing or two LOL. I don't shoot a lot of things where I need a bunch of DR, but that great shot that got underexposed because I tried to grab it before the flash recycled makes me sad because I pull it up and it falls apart :'(
But like I said, most of the time I'm fine with what Canon does. Would be a great bonus if they packed more of the sticky DR goodness in. Plus I like the menus, ergonomics, and colors of Canon way more than Nikon or Sony. But the A7 is calling my name! ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 11, 2013 23:19 |  #10

I value it enough that I'm planning on picking up an A7R.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

adza77
648 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 11, 2013 23:28 |  #11

I think it's of significant value. If I hadn't purchased my 6D already - I would also be considering the A7R.

I think Wilt has a great point too. Ultra wide dynamic range could open up a whole new type of photography. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the next game changer.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2013 23:28 |  #12

I value DR, but I find the conversation way overblown. Is more DR better? Of course it is no question, but where I come from, you "run what you brung".

If you want what the competition has, then you go buy it instead of complaining to those who are trying to get the most out of what they have.

I've met a ton of SoNikon shooters in my travels and surprisingly, the landscape shooters I've met don't leave their filters at home, even with the great DR of the Sony sensors. Having said that, I'll probably be getting an a7r to compliment my Canon gear, not replace it....

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 11, 2013 23:55 |  #13

I'd love more DR. But a LOT more, not just the couple of EV difference we see now. Wouldn't mind if someone made a FF with about 3 stops more ISO too. We'll see, just give them time...

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,463 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 12, 2013 00:13 |  #14

I value DR for the landscapes/nature studies I do. As said above, even in images where DR is not needed it is an advantage because it means less noise in the shadows. I am currently achieving greater DR by using the Magic Lantern firmware hack's Dual ISO.

Elie / אלי

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,704 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 12, 2013 00:14 |  #15

canon rookie wrote in post #16443098 (external link)

I also kind of agree with this. From the raws I've played with, nikon raws definitely kick ass............... but, I really dont pull shadows that hard, or even a meaningful amount that would hurt a photo. If DR is way off, then I'll HDR. From my understanding, 12ev vs 14ev is not really that much, 1ev both ends, which wont make or break a photo WHEN and IF only WHEN it's used.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

6,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon users, how much do you value Dynamic Range?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.