Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 11:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bag for 1 / 5 series and 300f2.8 with hood attached?

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 11, 2013 11:40 |  #1

Hi,
can anyone with a 300 f2.8 recommend a bag for it while its attached to a 1 series or 5d body while also having the hood attached (so its ready to use to take photos's) I want to be able to store it in the bag lens upwards rather than lens down, or, horizontally, and so when removed from the bag its instantly ready to photograph with

Many thanks
:cool:

sponsored links
nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 11, 2013 12:15 |  #2

Think Tank Glass Limo should do it.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,914 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 11, 2013 12:57 |  #3

I use my Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW to carry my 300 F2.8 IS + 1 series body in the ready position. There is also room if you want to leave an extender or extension tube attached. I carry my setup lens down (camera at the top) as it is much quicker to get it out and start shooting. It also places the weight higher up which makes the pack carry better, as well as helping keep dust off the lens.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,155 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 11, 2013 16:13 |  #4

Like Johnf3f, I had the Trekker 600 AW before and it fit the 300+ hood in ready position and 1D camera, but it's big.

I now carry the 300 in the Kinesis 311, it's smaller and when the hood is reverse, it has plenty of room. With hood on it's a bit tight but still zip up but tough.

Another option is the Kinesis 511.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

colintf
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 11, 2013 16:41 as a reply to  @ sonnyc's post |  #5

Many thanks for your help :cool:

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 12, 2013 04:18 |  #6

Camera - TC - 300 f2.8 - Hood all in a 600AW with sliplock cases for other gear.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/600aw%201.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/600%20aw2.jpg

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 12, 2013 04:37 |  #7

Are you looking for just that set up? Or that set up with other stuff?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

think tank airport accelerator

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

colintf
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 12, 2013 08:13 as a reply to  @ OneJZsupra's post |  #8

Many thanks
Many good ideas
Ability to carry 2 camera / lens combos is a great idea
Thanks
Colin

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 12, 2013 16:21 |  #9

Total change of subject and I hope you don't mind......but......Fra​nk, I noticed you use teleconverters with your 300, how do you find the performance when used with the canon 2x?

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2013 00:12 |  #10

nellyle wrote in post #16446322 (external link)
Total change of subject and I hope you don't mind......but......Fra​nk, I noticed you use teleconverters with your 300, how do you find the performance when used with the canon 2x?

I'm glad you asked as I've been wondering the same lol.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 13, 2013 02:13 |  #11

I'll use the 300 with a 2x if it's needed. But it does noticeably slow down AF and the IQ drops a bit, so I try to avoid it. The 1.4x, however, is on there almost permanently.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2013 02:23 |  #12

hollis_f wrote in post #16447526 (external link)
I'll use the 300 with a 2x if it's needed. But it does noticeably slow down AF and the IQ drops a bit, so I try to avoid it. The 1.4x, however, is on there almost permanently.

how is the image quality and AF speed with the x1.4? which Ver of the 300 do you have?

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 13, 2013 03:04 |  #13

seoul4korea wrote in post #16447530 (external link)
how is the image quality and AF speed with the x1.4? which Ver of the 300 do you have?

1.4x TC has no real observable effect on either AF or IQ, as far as I can tell (not that I've done any real scientific tests). That's with the Mk1 IS 300 f2.8. I'd love the MkII, but can't justify the cost.

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 13, 2013 03:29 |  #14

hollis_f wrote in post #16447526 (external link)

Thanks, currently trying to work out if the mark 2 lens is worth the extra over a used mark 1. The newer lens seems to perform very well with the new teleconverters........​.but it's almost 2k more!

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2013 03:43 |  #15

nellyle wrote in post #16447586 (external link)
Thanks, currently trying to work out if the mark 2 lens is worth the extra over a used mark 1. The newer lens seems to perform very well with the new teleconverters........​.but it's almost 2k more!

I have Ver. II

Here are some of the noted differences:

Focus preset (A cool feature that will reset your focus to where you had it before, this would be great for tracking objects that are moving to you like a race or something like that. You can track them as they get closer and then hit the ring and it'll send the focus to where you set it.)

Better IS, 4 stops that is.

a lighter and stronger build, it's made with titanium which makes for a strong and light lens. I can easily hand hold this lens and shoot.

power focus for video work, this will let you set the focus and then pull the focus back. It will this smoothly and slowly focus to the point you set. Again this feature is for video.

A build in tripod and monopod foot, it is actually build into the barrel so the ring can not be removed. You can unbolt the foot however.

A new IS mode, it will turn on Is only when you shoot.

and the obvious increase in IQ and AF speed.

This lens is said to be very good with the MK III extenders as they where all designed with each other in mind.

really it comes down to value and whether you want the features. I got it because I couldn't find a person that would ship a used 300 2.8 ver I to Guam and I've been shooting a lot of sports for the newspaper here.

One thing you could do is get Ver. I, a x1.4 and x2 extender, and a whole bunch of other stuff with the money you save lol.

sponsored links

5,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
bag for 1 / 5 series and 300f2.8 with hood attached?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.