Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Terrible addiction

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 10, 2013 16:23 |  #1

So. After speaking to a few people who do paintball photography they have given me suggestions on bodies to upgrade to and lens' to get. Sadly, now I'm wanting to sell my current gear to fund the purchase of my next body, a 7d...

Is it me, or does this hobby/profession/art form seem to be horribly addicting? :-/

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 10, 2013 17:52 |  #2

abhphotography wrote in post #16440296 (external link)
Is it me, or does this hobby/profession/art form seem to be horribly addicting? :-/

Yes.

I started with a T3 a few years ago, assuming it would be 'enough' of a camera to last me at least a few years, and would probably get replaced after five or so. It did frustrate me a little trying to shoot paintball with it at times due to the limited frame buffer, but the real breaking point was when I got into roller derby photography. Rather than being out doors in nice bright conditions I instead found myself trying to shoot in some of the poorest lit arenas one could imagine.

The 7D is a very sweet camera if you are going to be doing anything action related that as a fairly low predictability on actual action. There are a lot of sports where things follow fast but reasonably predictable patterns. The human brain is wonderful at calculating ballistics, so while judging a basketball player's jump, a catch in baseball/football, etc all take considerable skill, they are all still significantly easier to judge than the moment of impact of a breaking paintball, or a hip check in derby.

Just keep in mind that the fast burst option isn't a magic bullet that will solve all your problems for getting great shots. I played paintball for several years as a fairly average recreational woodsballer, but I honestly found photographing games to be both far more challenging and far more interesting than actually playing. Sadly I also found I got hit a whole lot more as a photographer than I did as a player. (Probably because I never got into that whole cheating bit, so I get to stay on the field far longer as a photographer. Sadly a lot of the angles I always liked to work usually put me near a nice little cross fire/over fire position.)

Do remember to keep your head up on the field, and watch for bunker bounce on the airball fields. Deflection shots can catch you by surprise.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 10, 2013 18:01 |  #3

Thanks for the advice! Not saying my T5i is terrible or anything, but I mainly want to step up to something that can shoot faster, take more pictures in a burst (i.e player making a break for the snake and diving in), something that feels sturdier in my hands. The T5i feels light to me, and I'm afraid a good body shot and boom all over :( (thankfully have all hazards insurance, but still).

It is my hope the 7d will last me much longer, so I can start focusing on improving my glass. Waiting to hear back what kind of quote the local camera dealer is going to give me for my nearly new t5i. I know it won't be as high as what I could get selling here, but I'm hoping they are fairly close.

Now I gotta rebuy a bunch of stuff.. cards, batteries, spare charger...*le sigh*

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 10, 2013 18:07 |  #4

abhphotography wrote in post #16440296 (external link)

GAS is addicting until you shoot for a couple years and find the setup that works for you. After that, you can settle in and enjoy actual photography.

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 385 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 10, 2013 18:09 |  #5

If you are at the beginning of your G.A.S (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) i can tell you it will only get worse from this point on. Both for good and bad, good for you and your gear, bad for your relationships and wallet.

There is no turningback now as you have joined... The Dark Side of the Force :)

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 10, 2013 18:14 |  #6

Ya my wallet is kinda screaming at the idea of almost a grand for a body, but Ifind it so fun and challenging to get the special shots of players. They all seem to love my work but when iI look at others it looks so Meh. Obviously the body and lens don't have as much to do withit as skill and that comes with time, but iIwant to find a set up iI'm comfortable with and go from there.

Now where did I place that 70-200 f2.8L.... Hhmm Christmas is coming! Hint hint lol!

Side note I'm single so no one to nag at me for spending too much!

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 10, 2013 18:57 |  #7

abhphotography wrote in post #16440566 (external link)
Side note I'm single so no one to nag at me for spending too much!

I'm single as well. Doesn't stop family and friends from nagging me about how I spend my time and money.

My view on good glass is that I can expect it to survive several bodies. I know people shooting with vintage glass from the 60s and 70s that has been in fairly constant use for the duration of its life so far, so if I can get a decade or two out of a good lens, then its overall cost is fairly easy to swallow as far as a hobby goes.

You will probably want to rig up some kind of a cover for the camera for use in paintball. I've been trying to come up with a good solution based on a few layers of heavy canvas, but I'm having issues with making it small enough to not impact my vision, while large enough to actually keep the controls easily usable. Hasn't been a priority for me as I ended up not getting out for paintball shots in the last year.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 11, 2013 02:10 |  #8

OK, OK, c'mon you guys...let's see...a "kit" for cool purposes, sports, events, you know, all that, hey, the price of a decent used car! What, $5k?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 11, 2013 05:20 |  #9

tonylong wrote in post #16441441 (external link)
OK, OK, c'mon you guys...let's see...a "kit" for cool purposes, sports, events, you know, all that, hey, the price of a decent used car! What, $5k?

I know I know.. Good stuff isn't cheap, but good lord, I need a better paying job to keep paying for all my expensive hobbies.. Cars, computers, paintball, photography, sheesh.

Really hope my local store comes back with a better price on the 7d. That felt like a great camera.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2013 09:12 |  #10

abhphotography wrote in post #16441618 (external link)
I know I know.. Good stuff isn't cheap, but good lord, I need a better paying job to keep paying for all my expensive hobbies.. Cars, computers, paintball, photography, sheesh.

Really hope my local store comes back with a better price on the 7d. That felt like a great camera.

And that's why so many people feel the need to make money off of photography.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,074 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 11, 2013 09:36 |  #11

I thought I had some sriously expensive hobbies. Then my daughter got involved in one of them too. Not only that she got quite good at it. Now she is National Junior squad and needs ALL her own kit. Olympic level shooting kit aint cheap. £2K plus for the air gun, best part of £3K for a 22 rimfire. Plus all the other sundry kit. Then top quality match ammo makes shooting large format film look cheap for running costs. Plus all that traveling and staying in hotels. No sponsership in this country for shooting either. We even have to pay the entry fees for all the matches ourselves. Not easy when living on a disablity pension, but one doses what one can for ones kids afterall. Still the 20D still works so I can still make pictures when I want. Dosen't stop one of dreaming of a 7D and 500 f4 IS L.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 11, 2013 11:16 |  #12

Welp its official. I'm now a 7D owner. Now I just gotta get this t5i sold and pick up a CF card.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 11, 2013 11:32 |  #13

Remember to check your firmware update on the 7D. (They reworked their memory model and greatly expanded the frame buffer)

As for cards, I've been mostly using 32GB UDMA 7 cards. The 7D's card reader doesn't actually benefit from cards above UDMA 6 as far as I'm aware, but I was never able to find UDMA 6 cards that really came with much of a price advantage for the size over UDMA 7 ones. My card collection consists of 3 32GB cards, and an additional 2 16GB cards, but I really only ever need more than the one card for day/weekend long special events when I'm constantly shooting action and have no breaks long enough to sort and cull.

If you limit your display usage then you can get more than a thousand photos on a single battery. Personally I just turn previews off and will manually spot check as needed. No sense wasting battery power displaying an image you're not going to look at right then.

And remember to watch your frame counter. Shot count can quickly sky rocket if you aren't paying attention and players keep dropping tons of great action shots in front of you. I usually got myself framed up where I expected a good photo to be coming from, and then be rather free with the shutter button. Far easier to delete the 'merely okay' photos and keep the one really good one you were looking for than to miss the good one and be left with a barely acceptable image.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 11, 2013 11:34 |  #14

Luckless wrote in post #16442306 (external link)
Remember to check your firmware update on the 7D. (They reworked their memory model and greatly expanded the frame buffer)

As for cards, I've been mostly using 32GB UDMA 7 cards. The 7D's card reader doesn't actually benefit from cards above UDMA 6 as far as I'm aware, but I was never able to find UDMA 6 cards that really came with much of a price advantage for the size over UDMA 7 ones. My card collection consists of 3 32GB cards, and an additional 2 16GB cards, but I really only ever need more than the one card for day/weekend long special events when I'm constantly shooting action and have no breaks long enough to sort and cull.

If you limit your display usage then you can get more than a thousand photos on a single battery. Personally I just turn previews off and will manually spot check as needed. No sense wasting battery power displaying an image you're not going to look at right then.

And remember to watch your frame counter. Shot count can quickly sky rocket if you aren't paying attention and players keep dropping tons of great action shots in front of you. I usually got myself framed up where I expected a good photo to be coming from, and then be rather free with the shutter button. Far easier to delete the 'merely okay' photos and keep the one really good one you were looking for than to miss the good one and be left with a barely acceptable image.

Thanks for the tips! I was starting to research CF cards and was a little over whelemed with the variety, speeds, and quality. I will probably stick with SanDisk as thats what I use now. I checked into a 16gb at my local store and it was 55$ :-/ Might have to wait until I sell my t5i before I can get the cards.:cry:

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2013 19:14 |  #15

I can tell you that after the firmware update with a UDMA 7 card, I can now shoot about 40 shots continuously at 8fps before it hangs on the buffer. And then it only takes about 7 seconds to clear it completely. Since I usually shoot in 8-12 shot bursts with a pause in between shots, I almost never run into the buffer now. So definitely go for the UDMA 7 card and get the firmware update if it isn't already on it.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

4,465 views & 0 likes for this thread
Terrible addiction
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.