Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is the Red Ring worth paying the extra price?"
Yes
84%
No
16%

313 voters, 313 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the Red ring worth it?

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 15:24 |  #121
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #16442999 (external link)
it's not any more ridiculous than your statement that the lenses can't be repaired...at least i have proof proving that one wrong...

Proof?...nawww. Where do we send said lense for warranty work? My point is there are no service centers. We all don't have your mechanical prowess. Everyone is right...this is getting silly. Buy the lens ... and live with the consequences.

Dave

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,039 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2013 15:26 |  #122

Bakewell wrote in post #16443047 (external link)
Proof?...nawww. Where do we send said lense for warranty work? My point is there are no service centers. We all don't have your mechanical prowess. Everyone is right...this is getting silly. Buy the lens ... and live with the consequences.

you didn't just say that...you also said they can't be repaired(and even bolded it)...i never commented on the service centers...just the fact that they can be repaired

Bakewell wrote in post #16442703 (external link)
this lens cannot be repaired (maybe somewhere in China...good luck with that!)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2013 15:37 |  #123

Bakewell wrote in post #16443020 (external link)
You didn't have to say that...it's indicated in your gear list.

If you say so.

I see you own Tamron lenses as well, you must hate Canon as well? bw!

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 15:53 |  #124
bannedPermanent ban

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16443090 (external link)
If you say so.

I see you own Tamron lenses as well, you must hate Canon as well? bw!

You have sold every Canon lens you ever purchased. I own two great L lenses. What the heck are you mumbling about? What kind kind of twisted logic are you using? I own 2 great L lenses therefore I hate them? Your logic (term used loosely) escapes me.

Dave

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,755 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 11, 2013 16:27 |  #125

bent toe wrote in post #16443005 (external link)
To my knowledge there are like 4 L lenses that does not have weathersealing, the 70-200 f/4, the 35L, the 24L and the TS-E 24L.. but thats to MY knowledge. BUT a weathersealed lens does not mean it can be in a rainstorm or a duststorm and nothing bad will ever happen. Normal rain and normal dust should not be a problem for weathersealed lenses.

135 and 85 are also not weather sealed fyi. Sealing or not, I'm not taking it in the rain, so shouldnt be an issue. Do like that feature for keeping the sensor clean (a least I think that's how it works).

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2013 16:29 |  #126

Bakewell wrote in post #16443150 (external link)
You have sold every Canon lens you ever purchased. I own two great L lenses. What the heck are you mumbling about? What kind kind of twisted logic are you using? I own 2 great L lenses therefore I hate them? Your logic (term used loosely) escapes me.

I sold some lenses because I needed the money. It happens, it's that simple. You are the one who used this "twisted" logic earlier and claiming me not owning a certain Canon lens at this particular moment makes me hate the whole brand (Canon), which is certainly not true. It's silly. Therefore I was trying to make a joke with your logic. That joke did not seem to pan out, I admit...

All I know is you never even probably tried the Samyang 14/2.8 and yet you make such false claims regarding it's presumed bad quality. Samyang 14/2.8 is an awesome lens. One can hardly find better price/performance ratio on the market. It's popularity, all the awesome image samples on these forums, and numerous test results (e.g. the DxOMark result) are testimonies of that success. Just because a lens is cheaper lens than another one does not always automatically mean it's inferior lens in every way like you persistently claimed earlier. There are too many variables which contribute to the matter. That's all what I have been trying to say to you. But whatever. I give up now. Have nice day. :)

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 11, 2013 16:34 |  #127
bannedPermanent ban

wait, i got lost in this thread a long time ago.... i have noticed that the there are more people that voted L lenses matter. but im sure theres more to the story. I do believe that L's are a better option for the most part, but im sure there are some other lenses that, If used in the right way, could bring up some greater shots.

Like some zeiss lenses and ive heard that there are some really good nikon lenses as well.

Anyways, are there signs of internet bullying here? I mean, i could use this for a research proposal for my social work class.

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 11, 2013 16:47 as a reply to  @ jjaenagle's post |  #128

It's easy to talk **** on the internet, everybody knows that.

Come say that to my face, that's a different story.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 11, 2013 18:06 |  #129

Hogloff wrote in post #16441870 (external link)
Been out making photos. You should give it a try one day...you just might like it:cool:

Why don't you post a few then? Last time I heard from you you were headed into the rainforest or some other exotic place and had only posted a broken link to your photos. I'm sure everyone would love to see some of your shots why we hear you extole all this advice you're so good at.;)

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 12, 2013 00:02 |  #130

"Worth it" is almost totally subjective. I started out with a few 3rd party lenses and I got what I thought were great shots with them. Honestly, most mid-level and above lenses from any manufacturer are better than the photogs behind them, especially myself. :D

I like the support I get from the CPS program by being all Canon, I drop my camera and lenses in the mail and they come back cleaned, check and calibrated normally free of charge even out of warranty, plus I can call them up and shoot with just about whatever I like for few days, just pay a little insurance to send the gear back when I'm done. Canon prices are high, but they do try to reward those loyal to the brand, so my answer is yes....

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Nov 12, 2013 03:00 |  #131

Tmuussoni wrote in post #16442795 (external link)
If there's one thing I've learned for a lens to have a huge price tag does not mean it's automatically the best lens in every category like you seem to think. Of course I have owned whole bunch of L-lenses. At this particular moment I own exactly , apart from some older FD-lenses. But that is merely a coincidence how my lens collection has turned out to be lately. For example I found the Sigma 35 Art better than the 35L and Zeiss 135/f2 better than the 135L. But what does that has to do with anything? My next L-lens is probably going to be a telephoto if that matters. And no, I don't think i'm biased. I rather have open mind to all lens manufacturers. Doesn't matter if it's Canon, Nikon, Samyang, Leica, Zeiss and so on. A good product is a good product. It's that simple. You simply make it sound as if only Canon is the only manufacturer capable of making quality products and that Samyang is made from paper and you simply look at it and it will magically break down into ashes. It simply could not be further away from the truth. :shock:

I live in Europe. No, I never had to send my Samyangs for repairs. I've sent Canon 50/1.4 once for repairs and I have no idea where they eventually repaired it or in what country. But frankly I don't even really care as long as warranty is valid. Here it's the seller's responsibility to take care of warranty issues if warranty is still valid. It would be stupid to try repair something yourself if it's still under warranty. And the way I understood Samyang has a large distribution center in Poland (if you live in Europe) so that's probably where they will fix them. And even if it would be repaired in China I would not care. And by the way Samyang is from Korea, not China. The main thing that it's repaired and the maintence network works. And it certainly works here for Samyang just like it works for Canon. After all it is the law (consumer protection law should be pretty similar in all EU countries).

I'm partial agree with you. The zeiss 135mm is more expensive than canon 135mm. L lens not mean best in the category and most expensive.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 16, 2013 13:50 |  #132
bannedPermanent ban

Thorrulz wrote in post #16443495 (external link)
Why don't you post a few then? Last time I heard from you you were headed into the rainforest or some other exotic place and had only posted a broken link to your photos. I'm sure everyone would love to see some of your shots why we hear you extole all this advice you're so good at.;)

he's too busy "selling" (giving away) his snapshots to hotels to decorate their lobbies. bw!

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 16, 2013 15:24 |  #133
bannedPermanent ban

Mackeral wrote in post #16456466 (external link)
he's too busy selling his snapshots to hotels to decorate their lobbies. bw!

Hey fish, why don't you all let us in where you sell your photos. Or do you just give them away to your grandma so you can receive a nice compliment from someone at least. Afterall, grandma's love everything their grand childern do.
bw!

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 16, 2013 18:33 |  #134
bannedPermanent ban

To me, no. For the most part, anyway. I had the 85 1.8, 135L and 200 2.8L II. I sold them all in order to buy a Sigma 70-200 OS. It was the right move for me. If I ever upgrade my 28-75, it will be to a Tamron 24-70 VC, not the 24-70 II. That is just too much money for me. About the only red-ring I have a lust for is the EF 24mm f/1.4L II. I just got the 24 IS. For 1/3 the price, it will have to do.

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 16, 2013 18:35 |  #135
bannedPermanent ban

I Love Cats wrote in post #16456935 (external link)
To me, no. For the most part, anyway. I had the 85 1.8, 135L and 200 2.8L II. I sold them all in order to buy a Sigma 70-200 OS. It was the right move for me. If I ever upgrade my 28-75, it will be to a Tamron 24-70 VC, not the 24-70 II. That is just too much money for me. About the only red-ring I have a lust for is the EF 24mm f/1.4L II. I just got the 24 IS. For 1/3 the price, it will have to do.

why that lens (24L)??? JW

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

sponsored links

16,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the Red ring worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.