Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 09 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Family of 4

RKSphoto
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 09, 2013 10:50 |  #1

I recently had the opportunity to shoot these family friends. I don't usually do family pictures (more landscape and such).

Constructive critique is welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Randy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

RKS
Nashville, Tn.
Canon 70D - Canon T4I and Canon 40D / Canon 100-400 v2 / Canon 24-105 L / Canon 17-55 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8/ Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma 10-20 [COLOR=red]/ Sigma EF530DG Super Flash

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,462 posts
Gallery: 1789 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 09, 2013 12:43 |  #2

Heya,

I like #2 better.

First one has as weird composition for me, kind of random looking.

Both look a little overexposed.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 10, 2013 04:36 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks for the comments!

RKS
Nashville, Tn.
Canon 70D - Canon T4I and Canon 40D / Canon 100-400 v2 / Canon 24-105 L / Canon 17-55 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8/ Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma 10-20 [COLOR=red]/ Sigma EF530DG Super Flash

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 10, 2013 18:32 |  #4

That's a good looking family.

The exposure on the faces is all over the place. Looks like it got pulled up in post, overall exposure on the face and bodies doesn't look consistent enough for flash (faces are lit but shirts still completely black with no detail), hard to tell.
The sun looks low in #1 but it is off to the side of the group. I try to put the sun directly behind people when it is that low and use flash to fill in the shadows. The less light that hits the sides of faces, the less chance of completely blowing out that side of the face when either pulling up shadows (hard to match/look natural) or using flash. I would have probably tried to group them a little tighter. The gap between mom and dad could have a son in it, and the son on the left could be pulled in a little tighter. Try to avoid big open spaces between them when in a grouped shot like that; and usually center around mom, but obviously no "rule" is in stone. :)
#2 face exposures are all over the place again. Dad is in the shadow and half obstructed. Could have stood on the outside of the barn like mom. Being IN that opening doesn't actually help in any way to me because it just cuts people off with rails and walls in front of them. All the weeds sticking up in the bottom of the frame is distracting. Shooting from higher up will remove that stuff. If the family is the focus of the photo then they should be front and center, not hidden. :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 11, 2013 05:21 |  #5

BrickR,

Thanks so much for the pointers! I really do appreciate constructive comments as I try to learn to shoot better people pictures!

Randy

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 11, 2013 14:34 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with BrickR in regards to post processing. Did you shoot and process in JPG because that is what it looks like because of blown out areas and loss of color/detail from pushing exposures

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 11, 2013 18:13 |  #7

Taking pictures in direct sunlight at this time of day is always hard. Remember that you eyes can see so much more than your camera.

In the second picture it would have been better to put them in all light or shade. Below is my attempt to retrieve a little, but recovering in post is hard.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 12, 2013 16:16 |  #8

CanonVsNikon wrote:

I agree with BrickR in regards to post processing. Did you shoot and process in JPG because that is what it looks like because of blown out areas and loss of color/detail from pushing exposures

Yes I did - but I intentionally de-saturated the shot to give a somewhat old picture look to it.

As to proper exposure - as I mentioned, I don't usually shoot people so I'm learning - what is the best way to get proper/even facial exposure?

Thanks

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

sponsored links

1,429 views & 0 likes for this thread
Family of 4
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.