Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 10, 2013 06:31 |  #76

hairy_moth wrote in post #16431835 (external link)
You understand that the 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF is only for Video (even at it's highest resolution, it is much lower than the sensor resolution) and live view. You have lost nothing with this feature.

Erm... statement is wrong. The dual pixel sensor is the only sensor in the camera, therefore it is used for both stills and video. The Dual-pixel auto-focus is for use in live view, therefore for stills or video, whichever you happen to use.
Which re-iterates my point, video was fine when it did not effect the IQ of stills, now it does and I do not like that. The fact that a much newer model is only as good as the old 7D makes me puke. Nikon and Sony are walking all over Canon on the sensor department.
Now if Canon wanted to sell the 7DII to photographers and videographers alike they should concentrate on a 12-16MP APS-c body and improve DR and Noise but not overdoing it with stupid pixels.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 10, 2013 09:44 |  #77

Mahgnillig wrote in post #16437456 (external link)
I don't get all the hate for the flippy screen. If you don't want to flip it out, then just leave it where it is... it's not like you hear reports of them breaking all the time anyway.

There is no mechanical way to make a flip screen nearly as reliable as a fixed back screen. It is a design weak point that is far more prone to breaking, and is unneeded in my mind. Even when it is folded closed that hinge is still something far more prone to breaking if the camera is dropped than a box shell of similar weight.

A far better option is strong support for an external screen. A hard point connector and arm design where if it is dropped or damaged it will be the arm that breaks, not the hard point, allowing you to easily replace the arm connector without having to repair the camera body itself.

It would make a far more reliable camera, and far more flexible. Especially if they included a control pad on the screen, and an extension cable. Why kneel down to look clearly at the screen when your camera is on the ground when you could stand up comfortably and still have it inches from your nose?

And as I stated earlier it would also give you the option of choosing the size of the screen you wanted to bring with you for the 'flip' screen. If I'm going to be trying to focus based on what I see in the screen, then I would much rather have a 7 or 10 inch screen to look at anyway.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 10, 2013 09:58 |  #78

Neilyb wrote in post #16439082 (external link)
...video was fine when it did not effect the IQ of stills, now it does and I do not like that.

A few things.

1. Link to proof that dual reading has any effect what-so-ever on final image quality? I can't find any, and I can't even mathematically prove there would be any noticeable negative impact to the system when I sit down and look at it from a chip fabrication standpoint.

2. This technology is just as useful with live mode and no video support. The fact that it works great with video doesn't diminish that it works equally well when focusing in live view for stills.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 10, 2013 10:13 |  #79

If you want live view focusing why buy a DSLR in the first place? The simple fact is (has been stated by many users) the 70D has image quality just "as good as the 7D"... which means we have not moved on in 3 or 4 years, which for me = Canon super sensor focusing is holding back image quality. In fact that is yes, unfair, Canon sensors are holding back IQ period.

If someone can explain to me how you take 1 pixel, split it in two and not created some kind of gap then I will concur. Then I am simply back to being pissed at Canon for not evolving their sensor tech. I am not alone here, I know enough wildlife pro's who refuse to use a Canon APS-c camera because they are not good enough in high ISO situations and would love to see a low MP APS-C which is all about IQ rather than keeping up with other manufacturers (or trying to).

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2013 15:42 |  #80

Neilyb wrote in post #16439468 (external link)
I know enough wildlife pro's who refuse to use a Canon APS-c camera because they are not good enough in high ISO situations and would love to see a low MP APS-C which is all about IQ rather than keeping up with other manufacturers (or trying to).

Yes, how many threads has there been regarding the 7D IQ. The problem, the strong AA filter. The point of the AA filter, moire in video ( yes I know it affects stills but it's there for video ) The 7D is surely a wildlife/birders camera. Leave the AA filter for the 5 series, the buyers of which will probably use it more, and leave us 7D shooters enable to get fine feather/fur detail..........
Canon dumped the G10's 14.6mp sensor for the G11's 10mp sensor to reduce noise. That's probably the last time it listened to its critics :(

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 10, 2013 16:10 |  #81

I want a camera with high IQ stills not video, I have used video 4 times in the last 4 years and it was just to play with cus i was bored or show someone how cool it was. With canon making dedicated video cameras ala 1dc, canon needs to seperate them then. Have a 5dc and 7dc for video with strong aa filters and have a 7d and 5d with outstanding image quality no AA filters. That way we have a choice and no compromise. F*ck video lol.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 10, 2013 16:14 |  #82

h14nha wrote in post #16440211 (external link)
Yes, how many threads has there been regarding the 7D IQ. The problem, the strong AA filter. The point of the AA filter, moire in video ( yes I know it affects stills but it's there for video ) The 7D is surely a wildlife/birders camera. Leave the AA filter for the 5 series, the buyers of which will probably use it more, and leave us 7D shooters enable to get fine feather/fur detail..........
Canon dumped the G10's 14.6mp sensor for the G11's 10mp sensor to reduce noise. That's probably the last time it listened to its critics :(

Pixel count has nothing to do with high-ISO performance. High-ISO performance is all about the efficiency of photon capture per unit area, as well as the total sensor size. The sampling rate (i.e. resolution) doesn't change this. Given the same sensor and microlens technology, a 48MP sensor will have the same noise at ISO 12800 as a 12MP sensor, provided they're printed/viewed at the same size.

It's only when you're comparing 100% crops that lower-resolution sensors look better. That's because you're looking at the high-resolution sensors at a much greater magnification.

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 12, 2013 18:16 |  #83

I see Canon Rumours has another one about the 7D II. Although it's wording is very much that of a statement. It sounds pretty good too if it is true (well you never know) and it seems only to have the ruddy GPS thingy that I didn't want. It didn't mention the flappy screen either. But I still hope it doesn't have one as I will only break it within a couple of months if I can afford the new 7D

Call me Amanda please :)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 12, 2013 18:28 |  #84

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16446622 (external link)
I see Canon Rumours has another one about the 7D II. Although it's wording is very much that of a statement. It sounds pretty good too if it is true (well you never know) and it seems only to have the ruddy GPS thingy that I didn't want. It didn't mention the flappy screen either. But I still hope it doesn't have one as I will only break it within a couple of months if I can afford the new 7D

How do you know? Have you broken one before?

Kel
Gear

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 12, 2013 18:33 |  #85

1Tanker wrote in post #16446660 (external link)
How do you know? Have you broken one before?

I sort of loosened one that belonged to a friend (600D) :oops: but it wasn't really my fault.

Geordie ­ Amanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 12, 2013 18:41 |  #86

I have also knocked a sort of flappy screen on a printer clean off before. That definitely was my fault. :D

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 17, 2013 09:11 |  #87

The only thing that I would care not to see in any new camera by Canon, is a failure to significantly upgrade AF, IQ, and build quality from the previous model. Currently (with an exception of the 1dx and the 5d3), they seem to be failing my bench mark every other model upgrade. Maybe they will continue their new trend with the 7d2.

As far as a flip screen goes, I am impartial. However, if what Canon Rumors says is true, their new "pro-level weather sealing" seems to suggest that a flip screen will be avoided, unless they have increased their weather sealing tech. when it comes to the hinge on a flip screen. If the camera does come in a 1-series body, I would be very surprised if we see a flip screen.

Video is a mute point. There is no argument against it no matter how much you wish it to go away. It is profitable, it is new tech., it competes with other brands. It is here to stay, and it can only get better.

--
flickr (external link)

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2013 14:06 |  #88

Evan wrote in post #16458017 (external link)
The only thing that I would care not to see in any new camera by Canon, is a failure to significantly upgrade AF, IQ, and build quality from the previous model. Currently (with an exception of the 1dx and the 5d3), they seem to be failing my bench mark every other model upgrade. Maybe they will continue their new trend with the 7d2.

As far as a flip screen goes, I am impartial. However, if what Canon Rumors says is true, their new "pro-level weather sealing" seems to suggest that a flip screen will be avoided, unless they have increased their weather sealing tech. when it comes to the hinge on a flip screen. If the camera does come in a 1-series body, I would be very surprised if we see a flip screen.

Video is a mute point. There is no argument against it no matter how much you wish it to go away. It is profitable, it is new tech., it competes with other brands. It is here to stay, and it can only get better.

You can argue that video is a mute point. But if they are missing your benchmarks for IQ and AF, don't you wonder why? We have these "revolutionary" sensors being released, but they are revolutionary for video, not image quality.

I'm not arguing for Canon to remove video, I'm just arguing that they need to put the emphasis back on photo IQ. Slightly better then a 5 year old camera is not good enough.

I'm starting to think that maybe Canon just doesn't have the resources to compete with Sony. I just watched a demonstration of the Sony video vs the dual pixel Canon video. The Sony still focuses faster. And who was asking for AF in video to begin with?

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 18, 2013 04:12 |  #89

Footbag wrote in post #16458669 (external link)
You can argue that video is a mute point. But if they are missing your benchmarks for IQ and AF, don't you wonder why? We have these "revolutionary" sensors being released, but they are revolutionary for video, not image quality.

I'm not arguing for Canon to remove video, I'm just arguing that they need to put the emphasis back on photo IQ. Slightly better then a 5 year old camera is not good enough.

I'm starting to think that maybe Canon just doesn't have the resources to compete with Sony. I just watched a demonstration of the Sony video vs the dual pixel Canon video. The Sony still focuses faster. And who was asking for AF in video to begin with?

In the 21st century, I expect Canon to be able to meet my expectations with AF and IQ in still images, while also providing reasonable video capabilities. I used the word "mute" towards video not because it is affecting still image IQ (which I have yet to see any real significant example that this is the case, besides paper statistics, so i'm a bit skeptical), but because it is not going to be removed from DSLRs. There is no point in arguing, or complaining, that video should not be in a DSLR. Because no matter how much a person tries, there is just too much profit for manufacturers in advertising that their cameras can shoot video.

--
flickr (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 18, 2013 09:20 |  #90

Evan wrote in post #16458017 (external link)
Video is a mute point.

Why a 'Mute Point?' Doesn't the sound work? Or is that in contrast to a "talking point?" I believe you meant "Moot Point." :)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links

27,753 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you NOT want to see on the new Canon 7D II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.