Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What can be done in an 8ft x 10ft studio... my humble setup:

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 09, 2013 18:41 |  #106

First, I'm surprised I didn't see this when you originally posted it. Your shots are excellent, limited space or not.

I then read further and see you've stopped doing it for lack of "fun."

I totally understand that. A few years back I decided to try event photography, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs. I shot a few, perhaps 3 or 4, and I quickly realized my very FUN hobby just turned into work and I no longer enjoyed it. Yeah, the last bar mitzvah I did for a friend was nice when she handed me 1500 cash, but my back hurt from standing all day, and it became a job. I never did it again and the fun part of the hobby returned. I haven't looked back. Thankfully, I don't need photography to earn a living, because it's a tough living, that's for sure.

m.shalaby wrote in post #16435584 (external link)
They required 7-10 full production quality published editorials, and wanted me to bring clients (magazines) with me.

Everything I did was free/trade. To arrange pro quality hair, makeup, wardrobe, location scout, etc... all via MM, lol. It was just too much for me working full time.

The only thing I ever got published was this: http://kentonmagazine.​com …n_editorials/ab​out-a-boy/ (external link)

That hardly counts as its only an online mag... plus it was easy as it was all arranged by me being it was a male model. Female shoots require a full team.

like i said, it just stopped being fun...

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2013 19:03 |  #107

MDJAK wrote in post #16438161 (external link)
First, I'm surprised I didn't see this when you originally posted it. Your shots are excellent, limited space or not.

I then read further and see you've stopped doing it for lack of "fun."

I totally understand that. A few years back I decided to try event photography, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs. I shot a few, perhaps 3 or 4, and I quickly realized my very FUN hobby just turned into work and I no longer enjoyed it. Yeah, the last bar mitzvah I did for a friend was nice when she handed me 1500 cash, but my back hurt from standing all day, and it became a job. I never did it again and the fun part of the hobby returned. I haven't looked back. Thankfully, I don't need photography to earn a living, because it's a tough living, that's for sure.

I love shooting weddings. Yes it is work, and busy running around, etc and when I get home my back and feet hurt, etc. but I'd do another the next day if I could. I'd rather do weddings than portraits. I know I may be crazy but I enjoy it and it is my only source of income. I enjoy it so much it isn't work but fun.

Heart_87
22 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 14, 2013 13:57 |  #108

Sorry you felt the need to give it up. When I first saw this thread it encouraged me to convert my small garage into a studio. approximately the same dimensions you were using. I am loving the results I am achieving and its all down to you. I am not in it for the money its just a hobby but I get great pleasure when I nail the shots in such difficult conditions. Thanks for this thread.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30,316 views & 0 likes for this thread
What can be done in an 8ft x 10ft studio... my humble setup:
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.