Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need help with two 1D IINs

turmoil
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 20:01 |  #1

I just picked up 2 of these cameras off of ebay recently on a whim. They were packaged together, so I figured i'd take a shot at them since they were listed as functioning perfectly :rolleyes:
The seller also noted that the one camera had its shutter replaced in 2010 and the other had its replaced in 2012, with NO use after that.

Got them today and here are the things that concern me that I need help with since i've never owned a 1D.

Camera 1:
Had Firmware 1.1.0 installed and I updated it successfully to 1.1.2
Installed a 16gb SDHC, took some pictures and it seems to work pretty well.
I uploaded a shot to http://www.camerashutt​ercount.com/ (external link) and it told me it had 112,217 actuations.
Do they not reset the count when a new shutter is installed?

Camera 2:
Came with Firmware 1.1.2 installed. Put in the same 16gb SDHC card, took some pictures, but they are all black. Not an exposure issue and didn't have the lens cap on :)
I uploaded one of the black images to the same website and it told me it had closer to 250,000 actuations. That seems extremely high to me.

I think these differ from the auction description significantly that i'll end up getting my money back, even though the seller said "no returns". This SHOULD be a clear cut case for a PayPal dispute.

What do you guys think and what would you do?

The one doesn't seem too bad, but the other taking black images seems like something is broken, but i'm not sure what.

Thanks for reading

sponsored links
OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 12, 2013 20:17 |  #2

I honest will say that I do not trust any of these shutter count programs. I also own a II N and when I bought it used it has about 47K on the clock when I did the same program you mentioned. Now based on your post I retested my II N with camera shutter count and it says that my shutter could is at 1447. ???

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Fred2176
29 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 12, 2013 20:24 as a reply to  @ OuttaCtrl's post |  #3

I would try to see if magic lantern would work with those cameras.I know for a fact canon resets the shutter count when they put a new shutter in the camera.I would of asked the guy for the paper work stating that they did replace the shutters on those.If not you could call canon and tell them that you just bought those cameras,give them the serial numbers and ask If they were sent in for shutter replacement.

lilkngster
727 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 12, 2013 20:28 |  #4

ML wont work on 1d cameras and I am sure they will not, at least publically, release a version.

I agree, call Canon, they can give you a history and will confirm if the shutters were replaced, i.e. more evidence for your dispute.

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 20:31 |  #5

I just asked the seller if they could provide any paperwork stating that the shutters were definitely replaced.

regardless, what would be causing the black images? Bad sensor?

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 12, 2013 21:51 |  #6

I wouldn't bother with whatever shuttercount you got on the 1st camera, if it works, it works.

The second camera sounds like more of an issue, best whip the lens off & eyeball what's going on while firing off a few very slow shots checking mirror goes up properly & shutter operates as it should. If this looks all okay and you get black images while doing so then you could well be looking at a duff sensor (and if that's the case then I'd definately be opening a dispute)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 22:08 |  #7

joeseph wrote in post #16447144 (external link)
I wouldn't bother with whatever shuttercount you got on the 1st camera, if it works, it works.

The second camera sounds like more of an issue, best whip the lens off & eyeball what's going on while firing off a few very slow shots checking mirror goes up properly & shutter operates as it should. If this looks all okay and you get black images while doing so then you could well be looking at a duff sensor (and if that's the case then I'd definately be opening a dispute)

Yeah, the first one was in much better shape (cosmetically) as well. Not sure what the seller is going to want to do.

I'll test the shutter tomorrow. When taking pictures, everything sounded normal, but we'll see. Anything else I could find about "black images" was usually a sensor issue. One guy lucked out and there was some solder screwing it up.

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 22:34 |  #8

aaaand the plot thickens.

So, I just decided to try some slow shots to make sure the mirror goes up and shutter works when i noticed something odd.
Instead of seeing a sensor, all I see is a blank gray area where the sensor SHOULD be. WTF.

I did the same test to the other 1D and the there's the sensor. Here are some quick cell phone pictures:

"good 1d" with the sensor (mirror is up): http://farm4.staticfli​ckr.com …31748003_4d4b5a​c205_o.jpg (external link)
"bad 1d" without the sensor (mirror is up): http://farm6.staticfli​ckr.com …31425325_0421df​f4ec_o.jpg (external link)

how does this even happen????
I'm looking forward to the seller's response :)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 12, 2013 22:45 |  #9

That looks like the shutter to me, so that would mean the new shutter is bad.

Also I'm pretty sure shutter count is saved in the mirror box assembly, so if only the shutter is changed the count wouldn't be zeroed, however I think they usually change the mirror box out when doing the shutter.

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 22:49 |  #10

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16447273 (external link)
That looks like the shutter to me, so that would mean the new shutter is bad.

Also I'm pretty sure shutter count is saved in the mirror box assembly, so if only the shutter is changed the count wouldn't be zeroed, however I think they usually change the mirror box out when doing the shutter.

Ahh so that's the shutter stuck closed then??
That would make more sense.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 12, 2013 23:14 |  #11

Yeah, sometimes you can get it working again but it will likely just get stuck again after a short time.

It looks like either the seller lied about the new shutters, or someone who wasn't skilled enough did it. Plus I can't see Canon or anyone else that knows what they doing not changing the mirror with 250K actions on it while doing the shutter.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 13, 2013 01:45 |  #12

Hmmm... doesn't sound too promising - does the shutter open at all when you select sensor cleaning mode? see: http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_image/sensor_c​leaning.do (external link)

might be worth trying to do a factory reset, I'll look for instructions but probably just needs removing the battery & also the button battery just inside the main battery housing (needs small philips screwdriver to remove from memory)

edit- Here we go: https://photography-on-the.net …11&highlight=cm​os+battery

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 13, 2013 05:42 |  #13

joeseph wrote in post #16447501 (external link)
Hmmm... doesn't sound too promising - does the shutter open at all when you select sensor cleaning mode? see: http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_image/sensor_c​leaning.do (external link)

might be worth trying to do a factory reset, I'll look for instructions but probably just needs removing the battery & also the button battery just inside the main battery housing (needs small philips screwdriver to remove from memory)

edit- Here we go: https://photography-on-the.net …11&highlight=cm​os+battery

Shutter does not open when I do the mirror lock up then fire or in sensor cleaning mode.

I pulled the batteries and i'm going to let it sit while i'm at work to see if that does anything for it.

Also, I noticed when I first turned this camera on after pulling it from the box it asked me to reset the date/time.
In the listing the seller said one of the cameras had its shutter replaced and wasn't used since. Maybe whoever installed the shutter didn't do it right and he never checked it? (unlikely, i know). I'm also assuming it wasn't a Canon repair job...

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2013 06:20 as a reply to  @ turmoil's post |  #14

It's not the sensor that doesn't open, it's the shutter. The sensor is the part located behind the shutter.

Anders

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 13, 2013 06:45 |  #15

apersson850 wrote in post #16447731 (external link)
It's not the sensor that doesn't open, it's the shutter. The sensor is the part located behind the shutter.

oops my fault. It's early in the morning here and I mis-typed :)

sponsored links

3,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
need help with two 1D IINs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.