Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arca Swiss vs RC2

DieselTech
73 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 12, 2013 22:52 |  #1

Can someone tell me why people prefer Arca Swiss over the Manfrotto RC2? Isn't it faster to load a camera onto the RC2? With the Arca Swiss, you would have to twist open and twist close the clamp. Could the camera slide left and right on the Arca Swiss? That would be undesirable if you had your camera tilted 90 degrees on a tripod right?

5D mk II, Rokinon 8mm, Rokinon 14mm, 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 85mm 1.2L II, 100mm 2.8L, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,840 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 12, 2013 23:52 |  #2

The Arca style QR is popular primarily for the characteristic of the antitwist camera plates, particularly the L plates which use the Arca dovetail to permit the entire camera to be rotated, rather than relying upon the ballhead rotation. The RRS (and now the Markins) lever release address many users' desire for a rapid QR jaw which accepts the Arca style plates.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2013 00:09 |  #3

Also, the Manfrotto ball heads have a tendency to droop and not be quite as smooth operating as many of the AS compatible systems. There are many more AS compatible accessories for mounting cameras to many things; whereas, a lot of the aftermarket stuff for the RC2 mount have taken so long to begin reaching parity that it was just easier to go AS.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

DieselTech
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 13, 2013 00:29 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #16447383 (external link)
The Arca style QR is popular primarily for the characteristic of the antitwist camera plates, particularly the L plates which use the Arca dovetail to permit the entire camera to be rotated, rather than relying upon the ballhead rotation. The RRS (and now the Markins) lever release address many users' desire for a rapid QR jaw which accepts the Arca style plates.

Ahh, great. I see how good the AS QR is now. Its really beneficial for people using the L-plate because the quick release is built onto the plate itself. By mounting the camera on it's side using the L-plate, you do not need to rotate the ball head 90 degrees to prevent the drooping.

For people who are using both RC2 and AS QR system, is mounting and unmounting the camera horizontally equally convenient? If it is, then I don't see the need for an AS QR system until I get myself an L-plate.

I went from a 322RC2 to a 496RC2 by the way. I usually have my tripod QR foot on the camera at all times because I use a blackrapid. The BR lock scratches the tripod QR foot instead of my camera :)

5D mk II, Rokinon 8mm, Rokinon 14mm, 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 85mm 1.2L II, 100mm 2.8L, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 13, 2013 00:31 |  #5

The fact that you can slide the mount plate in the clamp is also one of it desirable features for many applications, like balancing a telephoto lens with different body/TC combos or for shift stitch shots without a special TS lens tripod mount.

DieselTech
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 13, 2013 00:33 |  #6

Snydremark wrote in post #16447396 (external link)
Also, the Manfrotto ball heads have a tendency to droop and not be quite as smooth operating as many of the AS compatible systems. There are many more AS compatible accessories for mounting cameras to many things; whereas, a lot of the aftermarket stuff for the RC2 mount have taken so long to begin reaching parity that it was just easier to go AS.

I would really like a Markins Q3 Traveller but I cant see myself paying another $300 for the tripod head.

DieselTech
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 13, 2013 00:36 |  #7

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16447425 (external link)
The fact that you can slide the mount plate in the clamp is also one of it desirable features for many applications, like balancing a telephoto lens with different body/TC combos or for shift stitch shots without a special TS lens tripod mount.

A TS sounds so fun to have.

Snydremark
18,494 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2013 01:00 |  #8

DieselTech wrote in post #16447428 (external link)
I would really like a Markins Q3 Traveller but I cant see myself paying another $300 for the tripod head.

I used an RC2 mount for the first 3 years I was shooting with an SLR, and thought very much the same thing. But, when I got enough of a bonus that I could upgrade some gear, I made the jump to the Q-20 w/ lever release and I only wish I'd done it sooner.

My 'frotto never worked as I'd *heard* ball heads should. It could either have the tension all the way off so I could adjust, and then I'd have to hold the camera where I wanted with one hand and tighten the tension all the way back down to lock in place, except it would do the infamous "droop" during that tightening process.

With the Markins, tension can be adjusted so that the weight of the camera counters it just enough to move freely, but still stay in place as soon as you have it in the right position. It's a world of difference. Many of the AS style heads offer the same functionality, without quite the high price, also.

Something like this guy (external link) gets you into a decently respected clone for only about $150 if you want to see how this style works for you, for example.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 13, 2013 01:58 |  #9

There is faster quick releases than Arca Swiss, but it is fast enough.

The camera can slide left/right or front/back dependent on the orientation of the plate/clamp. But when locking the clamp, it stay fixed.

When the camera is tilted 90°, there is important that the camera do not rotate on the plate. For Arca Swiss there is many camera plates that is custom made for the camera model. So the camera don't rotate on the plate, even without using force on the screw.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 13, 2013 07:53 |  #10

Judging from user comments on this site, the Manfrotto QR system is not as tight as the Arca type dovetails. I've no idea whether this is manufacturing or QC but there are quite a few reports and I think macro photographers are affected the most.

The Arca-Swiss design is very common and used by many manufacturers, there is market competition and decent prices especially for plates. WRT ballheads the Photo Clam heads (there's a link to one up in post #8) are very good value. They are copies of the Arca-Swiss Z1 head and well constructed and finished.

~Peter

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 13, 2013 08:01 |  #11

I have an old Bogan (predecessor of Manfrotto) 3055 ball head. It is large, heavy, and is almost skeletal with the large ball mostly exposed (think Acratech but more basic). The controls are basic but it locks solidly and moves smoothly. The QR is the old RC0 which is a larger hexagonal plate that many think is too large for a dSLR but I've used it for years without complaint. I've looked at the RC2. It's not the same solid connection.

That said, I would NOT buy a modern Manfrotto head and if I bought a new head today, it would be one with an Arca Swiss style QR for all of the reasons in this thread. I'm not complaining about my old Bogan, just saying the new ones ain't what they used to be.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Snydremark
18,494 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2013 10:59 |  #12

peter_n wrote in post #16447906 (external link)
Judging from user comments on this site, the Manfrotto QR system is not as tight as the Arca type dovetails. .....

To this point, I never had a problem with the fit of the plates with the RC2 system; those were always rock solid, especially with the secondary lock in place. The problem was with the actual ball mechanism itself; the tension setting was either loose enough to allow movement of the ball and camera rig or tight enough to hold it all in place, no real friction setting. Plus, at the final bit of tightening of the tension knob, the position of the ball shifts/droops slightly which makes it hard to frame macro/closeup shots properly.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,840 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 13, 2013 11:06 |  #13

Snydremark wrote in post #16448390 (external link)
To this point, I never had a problem with the fit of the plates with the RC2 system; those were always rock solid, especially with the secondary lock in place.

The general complaint is not about the RC2 plate being secure in the Bogen QR lock, it is the lack of a lip on the RC2 to prevent its twisting on the bottom of the camera itself.

Prior to the addition of the current secondary safety on the Bogen QR, another complaint was the inadvertent trigger by a slight bump of the release lever, as the secondary safety was once upon a time not as secure. Decades ago when I had a Bogen head, my tripod-mounted camera were both over my shoulder as I walked a moderate distance from one setup point to another, the release lever was slightly bumped (but not enough to go to the fully open position!) yet the camera+plate released from the Bogen QR...had I not had the camera strap looped over my arm, camera and lens would have hit the ground!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 13, 2013 14:14 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #14

The quick release feels unsecure. I will not be buying another ball head with a rc2 connection............​...

I like the Arca Swiss

Farmer

windpig
Chopped liver
14,899 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 13, 2013 14:25 |  #15

Once you try an Arca Swiss there's no going back, that's for a number of reasons, none of which is a securing issue.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

4,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arca Swiss vs RC2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.