Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 11:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bag for 1 / 5 series and 300f2.8 with hood attached?

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 13, 2013 04:00 |  #16

seoul4korea wrote in post #16447603 (external link)
One thing you could do is get Ver. I, a x1.4 and x2 extender, and a whole bunch of other stuff with the money you save lol.

Thanks for all the info!

The quoted sentence is what's making me think about the version 1.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2013 04:06 |  #17

nellyle wrote in post #16447618 (external link)
Thanks for all the info!

The quoted sentence is what's making me think about the version 1.

I think this alone would be a huge reason why someone would go for ver 1.

It simply a better value and allows you to get more stuff for the price.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 13, 2013 06:25 as a reply to  @ OneJZsupra's post |  #18

If anyone wonders, my experiences are similar to Hollis_f....

Got 300 2.8 v1, usually has a 1.4x II and a 7D attached to it for airshows. No noticable change in IQ or focus speed with the 1.4x..... Rarely use 2.0x on it. However I THINK the IQ goes down some (still exceptional), and the focus speed slows down a pretty good amount with the 2x...

New one may be lighter etc. But the old one isn't a WHOLE lot heavier and its hard to imagine the images on the new one would be much better.

I did get a 400 2.8 V2 to replace the 400 2.8 V1 I had. That one is a LOT lighter, its amazing the difference, and the images seem sharper, but again the V1 was so good, how can you improve.......

On the 400 if you aren't going to carry it, get the V1, if not get the v2. Weight savings was great but it cost me almost US $5,000 difference.....

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 13, 2013 09:32 |  #19

Just a note on extenders.
I have the Canon 300 F2.8 IS Mk1 and used to have the Canon 2x Mk2 extender, I was never really happy with my copy as the IQ loss was more than I was happy with, especially with F4 lenses. I traded mine to get the Canon 2x Mk3 and find that this gives a significant improvement in IQ. Although not ideal it does give quite usable results on the Canon 600 F4 IS Mk1 (in good to very good light) and gives very good results on the 300 F2.8 IS Mk1. A friend of mine often borrows my 300 + 2x Mk3 and she is getting very good images of Kingfishers and similar birds with this setup. Admittedly a bare 600 or my 800 is obviously better but the 300 Mk1 + 2x Mk3 is surprisingly good, a lot cheaper and lighter.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 13, 2013 11:17 |  #20

That was going to be my next question! I know that the new extenders are optimised for the version 2 lenses, wasn't sure what difference they made to the version 1.

I should probably search or start a new thread, this one is going off on a tangent (although it has been very useful, thanks)

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 13, 2013 13:29 |  #21

Anyone know of a bag that is just big enough for the 300 hood reversed with modular loops for things like lens/flash/filter pouches?

As for the TCs on the 300, I have no problems using them when needed. Just like the others I really can't tell if the 1.4x is on as the hit on IQ/AF is so small and that's with a mki(mkii is optically the same, mkiii is slightly improved but optimized for mkii lenses and improves AF on them).

The 2x is plenty adequate, even though you can tell AF is slower it can still track BIF, aircraft, cars, bikes(initial lock is when you'll see it's slower), IQ in good light can be very good(some shots I can't believe how sharp they are) in flat light it brings out some grain/haze but shots are still usable. I've mainly used the 2x II but I picked up a 2x III this summer, I haven't done any side by side testing but I really didn't see any IQ improvement but I think my mkii is a really good copy that pairs well with my lens(i'm sure if I did some test chart shots I'd be able to pixel peep an improvement). I've plenty of comparison shots that show the 2x III is optically better than the 2x II(same as with the mkii and mki) and the 2x TC have always been the ones that were really worth upgrading due to the IQ improvement.

I know there's a lot of people who haven't cared for TCs even on these lenses like the 300 that they meant to be used on. Some of the sample photos I've seen were pretty bad and if I got result like that with my combo I wouldn't care for them either. Everyone I know that has a big white lens is also pleased with how well TC work on their lens and the photos I've seen all look great.

BTW the focus preset is also on the older lens, not just the mkii.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 13, 2013 17:24 |  #22

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16448733 (external link)
Anyone know of a bag that is just big enough for the 300 hood reversed with modular loops for things like lens/flash/filter pouches?

Think Tank Glass Taxi.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 13, 2013 20:08 |  #23

Thanks. I was already considering that one, while a little bigger than needed it's not that much larger and would be fine.

I would prefer to have it be just the right size as I'd use for storage(instead of the hardcase-to save room) in the truck of the car and a place put it if out with multiple telephotos. If extra storage is needed while out I also have modular storage pouches.

The glass taxi is the closest I've came across to what I'm looking for, but I haven't spent much time looking at all the bags everyone offers.

I was thinking about picking up one of those Camelbak bugout hydration packs for long hikes with a large kit, maybe they have one that's just 300 size that also has loops on it.

Keesbeest
585 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 14, 2013 06:19 as a reply to  @ post 16447603 |  #24

I use a Tamrac 5793 Super Telephoto Lens Pack to carry my Canon 300mm F/2.8L IS USM II with a gripped 70D and 1.4x III (or 2x III) extender in ready position.

I found a review here:

http://toeterphotograp​hy.blogspot.com …2/review-tamrac-5793.html (external link)

Gear List

colintf
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 14, 2013 07:34 as a reply to  @ Keesbeest's post |  #25

Many thanks
Colin

colintf
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 19, 2013 06:08 |  #26

OneJZsupra wrote in post #16444684 (external link)
Are you looking for just that set up? Or that set up with other stuff?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

think tank airport accelerator

Update - bought one of these last night on uk ebay - many thanks for the advice :cool:

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 19, 2013 13:51 |  #27

Good on you mate.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

colintf
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 19, 2013 15:15 |  #28

OneJZsupra wrote in post #16464179 (external link)
Good on you mate.

Many thanks for your advice
:cool:

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 19, 2013 15:58 |  #29

Good choice, I have one and the amount of equipment you can load it with is very impressive!

cicopo
Goldmember
3,551 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 19, 2013 19:13 |  #30

I just went through all of this & chose the Tamrac 5793 which arrived today. Fits exactly the way I wanted WITH the 2X ver 3 TC. I didn't want extra room for other things nor more bulk than necessary. (I haven't owned the lens long enough to give an opinion on it plus the TC).

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links

6,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
bag for 1 / 5 series and 300f2.8 with hood attached?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.