Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 00:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My shots at 1.4 acceptable?

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 13, 2013 09:01 |  #16

Use static subjects for tests i.m.o.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sponsored links
kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 13, 2013 10:54 as a reply to  @ Ginga's post |  #17

Hi All, thanks on the input. the lens is a sigma and will be my low light and walk around. I'm mostly taking about the focus shifting that someone mentioned. This is my seconded copy but it seems to be better at focusing. I'll shoot in the specific conditions somsone mentioned and post my results. My idea was the I'm new to 1.4 so it could be me giving off the shifting focus? I like the build of the sigma more then the canon but if this lens keeps shifting after MA then I guess I'll return for the canon 35mm 1.4.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 13, 2013 10:59 |  #18

kipliq wrote in post #16448376 (external link)
Hi All, thanks on the input. the lens is a sigma and will be my low light and walk around. I'm mostly taking about the focus shifting that someone mentioned. This is my seconded copy but it seems to be better at focusing. I'll shoot in the specific conditions somsone mentioned and post my results. My idea was the I'm new to 1.4 so it could be me giving off the shifting focus? I like the build of the sigma more then the canon but if this lens keeps shifting after MA then I guess I'll return for the canon 35mm 1.4.

Test it on a more suitable subject. You want your test to be done in a controlled setting, even if thats not how you will be using it in the field. You want a subject with sufficient detail to tell whether you have enough sharpness and of sufficient size to ensure that you locked focus. Once you are certain the lens is working correctly, you can evaluate whether it performs to your wishes in the field.

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 13, 2013 12:32 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #16448391 (external link)
Test it on a more suitable subject. You want your test to be done in a controlled setting, even if thats not how you will be using it in the field. You want a subject with sufficient detail to tell whether you have enough sharpness and of sufficient size to ensure that you locked focus. Once you are certain the lens is working correctly, you can evaluate whether it performs to your wishes in the field.

I will test this today. Thank you everyone!

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 13, 2013 12:43 |  #20

Lens testing should always be done via a tripod and controlled lighting at low iso. Otherwise you are judging the body and not the lens. Any lens will look better on a t1i at iso 100, 1/2000s than a 7d with iso 25,600 and 1/20s because the second isn't testing the lens, it's testing the body.

dscri001
487 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 13, 2013 14:37 |  #21

kipliq wrote in post #16447442 (external link)
Yes Crops, in the middle of each picture

As others have said, try performing a more controlled test. And maybe try posting the full image next to the crops to offer some perspective. Also, you're last image looks good on the leaves to the upper left. My guess is the lens needs some adjustment because the other shots look a little out of focus.

-Tyler I II
EOS 6DII, EF 16-35mm f/4 ISL, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 13, 2013 15:56 |  #22

dscri001 wrote in post #16448924 (external link)
As others have said, try performing a more controlled test. And maybe try posting the full image next to the crops to offer some perspective. Also, you're last image looks good on the leaves to the upper left. My guess is the lens needs some adjustment because the other shots look a little out of focus.

I stated about 3 hours ago that I would test and get back to everyone that is helping. Cheers :)

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 13, 2013 21:45 |  #23

Hi everyone update my post with new pictures. I deleted the old pictures. No sharpening to the pictures.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 13, 2013 23:52 |  #24

kipliq wrote in post #16450106 (external link)
Hi everyone update my post with new pictures. I deleted the old pictures. No sharpening to the pictures.

Looks perfectly fine to me!

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 14, 2013 00:22 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Sirrith wrote in post #16450367 (external link)
Looks perfectly fine to me!

I disagree. They all look soft and front focused.

Grass in front definitely look sharper.

This could still be down to user error thou.

OP try not to shoot it at an angle but head on, also make sure you use a single point (preferably center).

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 14, 2013 01:31 |  #26

kin2son wrote in post #16450398 (external link)

OP try not to shoot it at an angle but head on, also make sure you use a single point (preferably center).

Will Test tomorrow same everything on a table and post. Get back to you all. Looks better after I sharpened the picture.

So do all lenses front/back focus different in different types of light? So if it is sharp in good lighting the lens is okay and it could be user error. I don't mind user error as I will get better over time I hope.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 14, 2013 02:53 |  #27

kin2son wrote in post #16450398 (external link)

I only looked at the size posted on this topic. Figured the grass was sharp as well because its at an angle.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,107 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2013 09:24 |  #28

It seems you missed the part of the advice about filling enough of the frame with a subject that contains detail.

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 14, 2013 12:15 |  #29

gonzogolf wrote in post #16451033 (external link)
It seems you missed the part of the advice about filling enough of the frame with a subject that contains detail.

"Contains detail" Can you give me an example, as people had different level they prefer. Thanks!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,107 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2013 12:25 |  #30

kipliq wrote in post #16451421 (external link)
"Contains detail" Can you give me an example, as people had different level they prefer. Thanks!

Maybe something with some texture that would allow for you to evaluate sharpness, it can be anything a brick, a cardboard box, really doesnt matter. But the most important part here is getting it to fill a significant portion of the frame. To tell if your test shots are sharp one would have to zoom in fairly large on an already downsized image.

sponsored links

4,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
My shots at 1.4 acceptable?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.