Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Strattos II and Odins

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 11, 2013 22:20 |  #1

I have a set of Odins that I have been using for a while and love them!
But I have recently had the need to use the remotes with a flash mounted to my 5DIII. So wondering if the Strattos II would be able to be on the 5DIII with a flash mounted on top of it and then have the Strattos II control (well just fire) the Odins for another two flashes?
Thanks!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 12, 2013 18:34 as a reply to  @ post 16446445 |  #2

No the Strato II will not fire the Odin receivers, only the other way around.

But Phottix have a much nicer solution available now anyway in the Mitros+ flash unit, which has Odin (and Strato II) transceivers built in.

So there are no unreliable pass through hotshoes to deal with at all, just a clean direct flash on camera mounting with transmitters neatly built in -

http://flashhavoc.com …itros-plus-now-available/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 12, 2013 19:23 |  #3

elv wrote in post #16446684 (external link)
No the Strato II will not fire the Odin receivers, only the other way around.

But Phottix have a much nicer solution available now anyway in the Mitros+ flash unit, which has Odin (and Strato II) transceivers built in.

So there are no unreliable pass through hotshoes to deal with at all, just a clean direct flash on camera mounting with transmitters neatly built in -

http://flashhavoc.com …itros-plus-now-available/ (external link)

Thanks for the info.
I have seen those flashes but already have two odin receivers I would like to use with my three flashes. Have two 600ex-rts and one 580exII.

Are there any options that would allow me to have a flash mounted on top of a transmitter that will fire the odin receivers?

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 12, 2013 21:08 |  #4

wizard13 wrote in post #16446815 (external link)
Thanks for the info.
I have seen those flashes but already have two odin receivers I would like to use with my three flashes. Have two 600ex-rts and one 580exII.

Are there any options that would allow me to have a flash mounted on top of a transmitter that will fire the odin receivers?

I think Elv is saying the Mitros+ flash unit on camera will trigger both odin and stratto receivers.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 12, 2013 21:17 |  #5

butterfly2937 wrote in post #16447054 (external link)
I think Elv is saying the Mitros+ flash unit on camera will trigger both odin and stratto receivers.

So the only choice seems to be buy another flash for ~$400? I was hoping to just get a transmitter for maybe 1/4 of that :-(

Any other thoughts?

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 12, 2013 21:42 as a reply to  @ wizard13's post |  #6

The problem with stacking a flash on top of a transmitter pass through hotshoe is that you will eventually run into reliability problems.

You'd be much better off selling the 580EXII and simply getting another 600EX-RT and using their inbuilt radio.

The Mitros+ Odin system advantage would mainly just be if you want to run other manual studio lights as well, and not end up with another manual transmitter on the camera (or pass through hotshoe again). And second curtain sync if that's of interest.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 13, 2013 08:41 |  #7

elv wrote in post #16447131 (external link)
The problem with stacking a flash on top of a transmitter pass through hotshoe is that you will eventually run into reliability problems.

You'd be much better off selling the 580EXII and simply getting another 600EX-RT and using their inbuilt radio.

The Mitros+ Odin system advantage would mainly just be if you want to run other manual studio lights as well, and not end up with another manual transmitter on the camera (or pass through hotshoe again). And second curtain sync if that's of interest.

I was wondering about reliability issues of stacking the transmitter and flash. Thanks for the input.
Now the question is do I get rid of the 580 and get another 600 or unload a 600 (to basically break even) and pick up a Mitros+????
Thanks for the input everyone!!

Both the Canon 600's and the Odin's have eTTL correct? So either way I could still use TTL. But can I change the output of the slave 600's from the Master 600 mounted on camera?

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 13, 2013 08:56 |  #8

wizard13 wrote in post #16448029 (external link)
Both the Canon 600's and the Odin's have eTTL correct? So either way I could still use TTL. But can I change the output of the slave 600's from the Master 600 mounted on camera?

Yes, and yes.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 13, 2013 09:31 |  #9

wizard13 wrote in post #16447070 (external link)
So the only choice seems to be buy another flash for ~$400? I was hoping to just get a transmitter for maybe 1/4 of that :-(

Any other thoughts?

Or you can do what I do now. I use a ProMedia Gear Boomerang flash bracket and use the odin transmitter in the hot shoe. I use this setup allot it works great too.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 13, 2013 09:32 |  #10

amirg wrote in post #16448076 (external link)
Yes, and yes.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure.

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2013 10:06 |  #11

Ok wow! This is a pretty awesome development. So let me run this down so I can get some confirmation here:

The new Mitros + system
- a flash with built in eTTL and a trigger.
- so it can trigger other Mitros+ without the need for a receiver on the flash.
- it also will trigger another/multiple Mitros+ flash(es) and do so in either manual/eTTL or both? That correct?

So my current wedding setup is as follows:
- Phottix Stratto II system
- Trigger on my 5d3 with 580exii on top using eTTL for fill
- (2) 430exii's (manual) on stands with Phottix Stratto II receivers
So I only have eTTL on camera as fill while my 430's are in manual triggered by the transmitter on camera.

So with this new setup, if I bought 3 of the Mitros + flashes, I could eliminate the Stratto II's on camera and on the 430exiis? So I could sell the entire Stratto II's and buy the new flash units? And sell the 430's as well to help recoup the costs?

Would I be losing anything by doing so? So I could literally sell my 580 and all 3 of my 430's because essentially they would all be replaced by the new Mitros+'s. What am I going to miss or lose here?! No need for cables or seperate triggers AND gaining full eTTL capability in each flash! It's all contained in the Mitros+ system. Plus what seems like a more robust flash than the 430's no question.

Am I completely wrong here?!

www.nickpompei.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 13, 2013 10:45 |  #12

npompei wrote in post #16448273 (external link)
So with this new setup, if I bought 3 of the Mitros + flashes, I could eliminate the Stratto II's on camera and on the 430exiis? So I could sell the entire Stratto II's and buy the new flash units? And sell the 430's as well to help recoup the costs?

Would I be losing anything by doing so? So I could literally sell my 580 and all 3 of my 430's because essentially they would all be replaced by the new Mitros+'s. What am I going to miss or lose here?! No need for cables or seperate triggers AND gaining full eTTL capability in each flash! It's all contained in the Mitros+ system. Plus what seems like a more robust flash than the 430's no question.

Am I completely wrong here?!

No you are not wrong. The only disadvantage I see is losing the simple and quick interface of the Strato II. I wish Phottix would give Mitors+ a similar interface. Elv has a good example of the concept on his website:

http://flashhavoc.com/​mitros-and-odin-concept/ (external link)

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2013 12:31 |  #13

amirg wrote in post #16448354 (external link)
No you are not wrong. The only disadvantage I see is losing the simple and quick interface of the Strato II. I wish Phottix would give Mitors+ a similar interface. Elv has a good example of the concept on his website:

http://flashhavoc.com/​mitros-and-odin-concept/ (external link)

Sweet! Ok I see what you are saying. I do love the Stratos but I will say there are multiple times I have bumped the switches into a different group and it drove me crazy why I couldnt fire the damn thing! Haha, so this obviously eliminates that problem.

Looks like I need to price out how much I can sell my 430's for and Stratto's as well. This could be a bit of a headache but worth it in the end! This is great!

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 13, 2013 21:48 |  #14

npompei wrote in post #16448618 (external link)
Sweet! Ok I see what you are saying. I do love the Stratos but I will say there are multiple times I have bumped the switches into a different group and it drove me crazy why I couldnt fire the damn thing! Haha, so this obviously eliminates that problem.

Looks like I need to price out how much I can sell my 430's for and Stratto's as well. This could be a bit of a headache but worth it in the end! This is great!

I am in a similar boat trying to figure out what to do about my set-up. But I already have two 600ex-rt's so not sure if I just want to add a third or move completely to the Mitros+ system. The one thing that might sway my decision is the 600's are better weather sealed and slightly more power. That comes in handy when shooting in the mist/dust/sand outside. So more research to try and figure this out.

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2013 06:34 |  #15

Very true wizard - but for me I don't have to worry about weather sealing and that price difference is immense!

Now here is the next question I was thinking about - would I need 3 of the Mitros+'s? What if I just get one of the Mitros+'s, have that be my main unit and then get 2 of the 'basic' Mitros units to be fired from the main unit. Will that work? Can that work? I am thinking it would and I really wouldn't see a reason why it couldn't since the '+' has the Odin unit built in so it can trigger. Right?

If that is the case, the 'basic' Mitros is only $299, that would save me $100 each over the '+', thus saving me $200 total. Think that is a good idea? I don't see that being a problem, and kind of makes sense to have 2 of the basic Mitros and not 3 of the '+'.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Strattos II and Odins
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.