Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about radio flash triggers

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 13, 2013 13:50 |  #16

Matrim33 wrote in post #16448685 (external link)
I don't really need the ETTL, but the other units don't lock on which will be problematic. And in the future you never know, maybe I will want ETTL.

If you were willing to spend the bucks on those crappy triggers from B&H the YN622's give you everything they do, plus a lot more. If you camera is compliant you can set the power of the manual flashes in the camera rather than having to go back and forth the flash as you would with the other triggers.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,496 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 13, 2013 14:01 |  #17

OK, here is a primer...the multiple contacts on the hotshoe of the camera permit flash dedication features between camera and flash...things like

1. camera senses flash is on, it changes suitable shutter speed for flash
  2. camera sees flash is ready to fire, it lights the ready light in the viewfinder
  3. camera tells flash what FL and f/stop are set on the lens, so zoom head is set for proper coverage and max distance at that f/stop is displayed on the flash LCD panel
  4. ETTL commands such as preflash and power level to fire at time of shutter release
  5. trigger the flash to fire

So an extension cable with all the contacts permits ETTL control of the flash, if want to use it...but you do not HAVE TO use it! The small contacts in the hotshoe deal with the first four functions in the above list. The large contact in the hotshoe, and the metal part of the hotshoe which holds the hotfoot, are the contacts for function 5 of the above list.

A radio remote which uses only the PC cable (not the hot shoe) only does function 5 in the above list, so the flash itself has to be set on Manual flash, or set to Auto photosensor mode (Canon calls this 'External' mode!). Alternative to the PC cable for triggering is a hot foot which has one one contact in the center which goes to the large contact of the hotshoe, plus the metal contact which touches the side metal of the hotfoot.
Since you have a Tn which has no PC connection, you could buy a hotshoe-to-PC adapter which goes in the hotshoe of your camera, and the PC cable from a radio trigger plugs into that.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 13, 2013 14:15 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #16448820 (external link)
OK, here is a primer...the multiple contacts on the hotshoe of the camera permit flash dedication features between camera and flash...things like

1. camera senses flash is on, it changes suitable shutter speed for flash
  2. camera sees flash is ready to fire, it lights the ready light in the viewfinder
  3. camera tells flash what FL and f/stop are set on the lens, so zoom head is set for proper coverage and max distance at that f/stop is displayed on the flash LCD panel
  4. ETTL commands such as preflash and power level to fire at time of shutter release
  5. trigger the flash to fire

So an extension cable with all the contacts permits ETTL control of the flash, if want to use it...but you do not HAVE TO use it! The small contacts in the hotshoe deal with the first four functions in the above list. The large contact in the hotshoe, and the metal part of the hotshoe which holds the hotfoot, are the contacts for function 5 of the above list.

A radio remote which uses only the PC cable (not the hot shoe) only does function 5 in the above list, so the flash itself has to be set on Manual flash, or set to Auto photosensor mode (Canon calls this 'External' mode!). Alternative to the PC cable for triggering is a hot foot which has one one contact in the center which goes to the large contact of the hotshoe, plus the metal contact which touches the side metal of the hotfoot.

Thanks! This is a great explanation of what's going on here.

Now to flashes. I want to pick up a cheap flash to help light my background for product photography. I only want to use manual for this. I was looking at these 2 models:

http://www.amazon.com …=1-2&keywords=canon+flash (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …=1-4&keywords=canon+flash (external link)

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

Wilt
41,496 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 13, 2013 14:18 |  #19

I added one final paragraph in Post 17, while you read it and before you finished posting a response!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 13, 2013 14:18 |  #20

inkista wrote in post #16448711 (external link)
The YN-622c triggers can't be used as shutter releases. Don't get the cable if you're getting the 622c set. Also, that cable is for the YN-602 triggers, not the YN-603. If you get the 602s or 603s, they'll come with a shutter release cable, so that's why the previous posted told you to select the one specific for your camera (the dRebels use a 2.5mm minijack port for the shutter release--higher-end Canon bodies don't, so they need a different cable.)

The YN-622c triggers give you far more than just eTTL, btw. They communicate the full hotshoe protocol between the camera and the flash. So you can command the remote flash via your camera's flash control menu. As you can control the power settings on your remote flashes without having to walk up and dial it in. This is the main reason we like the 622s over the manual triggers.

In addition to eTTL, you will also have access to high-speed sync, rear-curtain sync (with wireless turned off), nearly every setting possible on the flash (zoom, custom functions, etc.) from your camera. Highly recommend reading Cliveyboy's "other" guide to the 622s (external link) to get an idea as to why they're worth the higher pricetag over the 603s, aside from locking rings on the feet and eTTL.

I'm sold on these, I just wanted to look and see what was out there. My initial link was just an example of what I was asking.

Okay, no cable. Thanks.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 13, 2013 14:20 |  #21

Here is a third option. Its the YN560II. The 560III has a built in radio trigger that you might not use unless you buy the YN 603 or 602 triggers. http://www.amazon.com …6&sr=1-1&keywords=yn560ii (external link)

Wilt
41,496 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 13, 2013 14:28 |  #22

Unfortunately the product descriptions for a lot of these cheap triggers really sucks, and you cannot see the foot of the transmitter to see the contacts

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 13, 2013 14:37 |  #23

Today's purchase.

1 - 2 pack of the 622s
1 - Yn-560 Flash II
1 - Gorillapod to try out for mounting flashes in weird places

Thanks again guys!

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 13, 2013 14:38 |  #24

Wilt wrote in post #16448901 (external link)
Unfortunately the product descriptions for a lot of these cheap triggers really sucks, and you cannot see the foot of the transmitter to see the contacts

I couldn't agree more!

sponsored links

2,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about radio flash triggers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.