Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Nov 2013 (Friday) 17:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "In general, what is your preference for carrying gear while working."
Backpack
29%
Vest
8.4%
Shoulder bag
25.2%
Sling bag
6.5%
Belt system
26.2%
Stuff my pockets
4.7%

107 voters, 107 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bag, vest, belt, or backpack

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 13, 2013 15:18 |  #16

It really depends on what/where I'm shooting. I have a back pack that can carry/store most of my kit so it's to heavy to bring everywhere so it normally gets left behind with what ever gear I don't think I'll need at the most convenient location(like in the car).

If I'm going to walking around and shooting for a long time(like at an event or hiking for wildlife/landscapes) I'll use a single/dual sling and a belt system if I need to bring other things like lenses/TCs/filter packs/speedlites.

If it's something that doesn't require a lot of walking/time(like stopping by a vista point for a landscape or BIF). I'll just grab camera/lens and and hand carry(sling over my shoulder if a tripod/monopod will be used. Filter pack and TCs if needed will either just be hand carried or put on standard belt(the used for my pants).

Underwater I use a Pelican case which keeps the gear safe and dry while easy to wheel around.

I'd like to pick up a couple of sling bags, one small and a bigger one(like the Tamrac Evolution series) for those times I'll be out for long time and will likely want to take pictures but won't be that often. I think a vest might come in handy at times so I might pick one those up as well since they're cheap even though I haven't had a real need for one.

sponsored links
ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 13, 2013 16:22 |  #17

I use a F & S vest and belt system with Cotton Carrier holsters.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 13, 2013 17:45 |  #18

Shoulder bag and a vest. You can't "work" out of a backpack. You can "carry", but it's just not on for quick lens changes like with a shoulder bag.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 21, 2013 00:47 |  #19

I voted Belt.. I have a lowepro computrekker that I can carry ALL my gear in (And do on all day hikes), but my typical setup is using my Spider holster clipped to my belt/camelback or lowepro bag with my 1Dmk iv and either 100-400 or 16-35 attached (depending on what I'm shooting). The Spider holster is so comfortable, that I can do all day hikes like the Glacier Point to valley floor trail in Yosemite and never once have a negative thought about my camera.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 21, 2013 15:37 |  #20

Sling Strap with either a fanny pack carrying accessories (light setup), or backpack for the full kit. I voted backpack.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

syclarac
148 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 22, 2013 00:40 |  #21

I work out of a Think Tank Speed Freak. It is built like a tank! Perfect size for a couple of lenses, a flash or two & sometimes the second body if I am not wearing the double strap. I like how I can slide it to my back/side/front & also how the shoulder strap helps distribute the weight of the hip pack.

www.suechoiphotography​.com (external link)
6D, 5D2, ∑15mm fisheye, 16-35 f2.8IIL, 50L, 100L macro
T3i, 17-55 f2.8, 50 f1.8

drewl
466 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 22, 2013 01:20 as a reply to  @ syclarac's post |  #22

for racing, i use a big roller to get me to the track, but then it stays in the car/trailer/media center.
then i load up my shoulder bag with a couple small lenses (which ones depends on what i'm going for that session) and a body
other body goes on the 400 and that goes over my shoulder with a monopod
once i get to a spot, i might or might not set the shoulder bag down. depends how long i'll be there. i also might or might now put a lens on that other body and keep it on me. all depends on the situation.

pfjbaldwin
326 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 24, 2013 10:55 as a reply to  @ lovemyram4x4's post |  #23

Shoulder bag for couple hour shoot, I like the quick top access an visual for everything. Hip belt for short field trip or sports where I don't expect to be setting a bag down. Backpack and trekking poles for long hike to site or wandering around a shooting area. I like the even carry and the balance offered by the poles. As I get older my balance is nothing like it used to be. Haven't used my vest in years.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

Justman1020
42 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 25, 2013 10:16 |  #24

I know it's not good, but i just load my pockets with what I think I will need, and occasionally throw a lens case on my belt loop...I use a two camera sling strap (black rapid DR1) so, I carry two bodies, with lenses mounted, and often a flash ontop JUST IN CASE... then I put a prime or 2 in my pockets, and maybe a 3rd zoom lens.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 25, 2013 10:37 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Working is a Loose Term ..
It is important to define what exactly the tasks are and under what conditions.
My bag system is preferred when working out of my SUV for a day
but not when skydiving into Lake Tahoe.
But since 78 % is from my SUV ..

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links

3,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bag, vest, belt, or backpack
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.