Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need help with two 1D IINs

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2013 08:31 as a reply to  @ post 16447781 |  #16

All right, then you know.

Anders

sponsored links
Nmura
732 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 13, 2013 11:06 |  #17

I bought a used 1d IIN once and it had 170K+. Just for peace of mind, I had the shutter replaced at Canon. At the same time I asked Canon to verify the shutter count and it read 170k+. When it came back with a new shutter, I ran it through one of those software the reads shutter counts, and it still read 170+. I called Canon and asked them about it and they told me they do not reset the count. I eventually sold the camera months later and provided the buyer with a copy of the receipt from Canon.

Gear

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 13, 2013 11:33 |  #18

Nmura wrote in post #16448408 (external link)
I bought a used 1d IIN once and it had 170K+. Just for peace of mind, I had the shutter replaced at Canon. At the same time I asked Canon to verify the shutter count and it read 170k+. When it came back with a new shutter, I ran it through one of those software the reads shutter counts, and it still read 170+. I called Canon and asked them about it and they told me they do not reset the count. I eventually sold the camera months later and provided the buyer with a copy of the receipt from Canon.

That's good to know. thanks for the info.

Does CPS still service this model though? If not, what's another reliable place to check out?

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 13, 2013 11:37 |  #19

turmoil wrote in post #16448474 (external link)
That's good to know. thanks for the info.

Does CPS still service this model though? If not, what's another reliable place to check out?

Yes Canon Service Center will support the II N for one more year or at least half of that year. Only the II will not be supported.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 13, 2013 12:10 |  #20

Fred2176 wrote in post #16446945 (external link)
I would try to see if magic lantern would work with those cameras.I know for a fact canon resets the shutter count when they put a new shutter in the camera.I would of asked the guy for the paper work stating that they did replace the shutters on those.If not you could call canon and tell them that you just bought those cameras,give them the serial numbers and ask If they were sent in for shutter replacement.

Totally wrong information.
Canon DSLR's will only have the 'actuation' count reset when the mirror box is replaced.
Replacing a shutter does NOT reset the actuation count which is stored in the mirror box.

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 13, 2013 12:29 |  #21

PaulB wrote in post #16448574 (external link)
Canon DSLR's will only have the 'actuation' count reset when the mirror box is replaced.
Replacing a shutter does NOT reset the actuation count which is stored in the mirror box.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to contact Canon later today to inquire about the service history of these two cameras. Hopefully that will shed some more light on this.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 13, 2013 17:23 |  #22

The 1D service manual lists resetting the shot count when replacing the shutter as "required" it mentions that resetting count after replacing the main flex (i.e. main PCB) as "as required"

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 13, 2013 18:09 |  #23

Here is a local ad that shows that they so reset the actuations when the shutter is replaced.

"...Canon 1D Mark IV camera with a new shutter that was replaced by Canon factory on Nov. 8th 2013. It has 5 shutter clicks..."

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

mak65
331 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2013 19:19 |  #24

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16449573 (external link)
Here is a local ad that shows that they so reset the actuations when the shutter is replaced.

"...Canon 1D Mark IV camera with a new shutter that was replaced by Canon factory on Nov. 8th 2013. It has 5 shutter clicks..."

Actually, the quote indicates that the camera had a recent shutter replacement and that 5 photos (or test firings) were made since the replacement. Nothing to indicate Canon reset the count.

sponsored links

3,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
need help with two 1D IINs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.