Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 13, 2013 23:06 |  #316

Personally, I look at the exif of a picture to see what body took the photo before I decide if I like it or not. If it's a rebel I immediately hate it.

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 13, 2013 23:10 |  #317

You guys are so missing the point.

It's conspicuous consumption. The pictures may look the same, but it's about communicating to the world the kind of person you really are.

Shooting with a rebel is like showing up to a wedding in pyjamas. It shows absolute lack of care about the impression you leave on others. Do you want to be the kind of guy that shows up in a wrinkly T-shirt when everybody else is wearing a tux? Sure, you argue, your wrinkly T-shirt gets the job done... but if you really cared about photography, you'd respect the art enough to spare it the presence of the lowly rebel. Art doesn't care for lowly cameras.

When you show up with one, it speaks volumes. It's probably your first camera, if you were serious about photography, you'd know that you need at least a prosumer body.

You probably never shoot action, because surely you'd upgrade to a body with a decent AF.

The presence of the rebel assaults the legitimacy of the REAL cameras, REAL photographers and REAL art. The serious things which you're not in a position to understand. People will let you know.

The courteous thing to do is to change the EXIF of images you upload to at least a prosumer body, lest you insult the interwebz.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

EJphotos
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 13, 2013 23:28 |  #318

I have had many amazing photos using my Rebel. As long as you know how to use your equipment and know the limitations of the equipment, you learn how to use it at its highest potential.
Actually, my all-time favorite photo is from my T2 film Rebel I used when I first got into SLR photography.
I've upgraded to the 50D since using the Rebel (digital) for a long time, because I had reached the limitations of the camera, and the Rebel is small in my big hands. But I still would have no problem at all using just the Rebel. It is a great camera, and as said, as long as you know how to use it, provides amazing results.

ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 14, 2013 01:42 |  #319

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16450282 (external link)

It's conspicuous consumption. The pictures may look the same, but it's about communicating to the world the kind of person you really are.

Shooting with a rebel is like showing up to a wedding in pyjamas. It shows absolute lack of care about the impression you leave on others. Do you want to be the kind of guy that shows up in a wrinkly T-shirt when everybody else is wearing a tux? Sure, you argue, your wrinkly T-shirt gets the job done... but if you really cared about photography, you'd respect the art enough to spare it the presence of the lowly rebel. Art doesn't care for lowly cameras.

When you show up with one, it speaks volumes. It's probably your first camera, if you were serious about photography, you'd know that you need at least a prosumer body.

You probably never shoot action, because surely you'd upgrade to a body with a decent AF.

The presence of the rebel assaults the legitimacy of the REAL cameras, REAL photographers and REAL art. The serious things which you're not in a position to understand. People will let you know.

The courteous thing to do is to change the EXIF of images you upload to at least a prosumer body, lest you insult the interwebz.

I shoot with a rebel, that makes me a sloppy photographer? is that what your saying... just trying to paraphrase here. if thats the case im out the door to buy a 7d, a camera with almost identical ISO performance as my "lowly" t3i and not to mention same sensor.

People think i run as a hobby, I run so that when the zombies come, they won't catch me

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 14, 2013 01:48 |  #320

ZombiesAreComing wrote in post #16450473 (external link)
I shoot with a rebel, that makes me a sloppy photographer? is that what your saying... just trying to paraphrase here. if thats the case im out the door to buy a 7d, a camera with almost identical ISO performance as my "lowly" t3i and not to mention same sensor.

It doesn't have to be a 7d. It can be any prosumer body, even a 10D.

Try it. You'll get a completely different reaction when you're out with the camera.

Even when you show your pictures to people, casually mention that you used a 10D to make it. They'll be impressed because it's just cool to use such an old camera to its full extent. Gives the pictures credibility.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 14, 2013 01:58 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #321

i still have my original 50d, which i love just as much as my rebel. i get the same reaction. i get more a reaction from my 70 200 2.8. . The rebel is an awesome camera. it gets so much negative attention but takes great pictures, can get awesome macro shots with the screen. and image quality is fantastic. The ISO performance of the rebel is a lot better than my 50d IMO

People think i run as a hobby, I run so that when the zombies come, they won't catch me

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 14, 2013 02:00 |  #322
bannedPermanent ban

ZombiesAreComing wrote in post #16450484 (external link)
The ISO performance of the rebel is a lot better than my 50d IMO

Because 50D isn't in the same generation as the current Rebel.

Try a 70D ;)

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 14, 2013 02:01 |  #323

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16449375 (external link)
Gentlemen...I leave you boys to play nicely together for a day and look what happens? I come back 4 pages later and we're arguing. ;-)a So lets sum up what we've learned so far. #1. The Rebel is a perfectly wonderful camera and those who look down on it have a "little man complex". #2. You shouldn't bow to peer pressure and go FF just because some people are bullies and/or mediocre photographers so they buy "the best" camera equipment in an act to ease their inferiority complex or in an attempt to improve their photography skills, neither of which works. Go FF if you want and can afford it but do it because YOU want to or need to in order to achieve your personal goals with your photography. #3. I have a witty and sharp sense of humor. #4. There are many legitimate reasons to grip your camera, but listing them totally kills my buzz and personal amusement. #5. Some people have strong opinions on whether or not anyone without a degree can actually be called a "professional photographer". Personally, I've never referred to myself that way but after looking up the definition of "professional", I just may start. ;-)a Professional: "relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill." I've had education and training and several people on POTN have mentioned that I even have some "skill". (I'm totally kidding about calling myself a "professional", I'll just stick with "landscape" or "Fine art photographer".) #6 There are some wonderful people on this thread that ALSO happen to have a great sense of humor. And finally, #7. Any person who quotes any portion of this comment with a negative response- is clearly one of the POTN members that is completely lacking in the sense of humor and fun personality department. Yeah, I said it. :-P

Very well written

ZombiesAreComing
30 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 14, 2013 02:02 |  #324

kin2son wrote in post #16450485 (external link)
Because 50D isn't in the same generation as the current Rebel.

Try a 70D ;)

Funny you mention that. went to the one place i love to hate, Costco, and was playing with the 70d... i have got to say, i was pretty impressed.

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 14, 2013 04:50 |  #325

funny seems like the people who criticize the Rebel act like they never had one

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 14, 2013 06:16 |  #326

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16450282 (external link)

I am assuming you are being sarcastic.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Nov 14, 2013 06:33 |  #327

Sibil wrote in post #16450699 (external link)
I am assuming you are being sarcastic.

really hope it for him. Otherwise id consult a doctor

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

OneDeep
THREAD ­ STARTER
216 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 14, 2013 06:42 |  #328

So when it's time to update should I update the lens or camera?

Personal Trainer with random hobbies.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 14, 2013 06:58 |  #329

What exact camera and lenses do you own?
I've been fooling with photography for 28 years. The new rebels blow away cameras from 25 years ago. Seriously. Also what are you shooting? My guess is that fr the way you phrase the question, is that you're not sure. It also seems you're focused in what other folks think of your camera. I've foud that photography is a hobby where you can't think about what others think. You're walking around with some obtrusive piece of equipment on your neck. Use your camera and maybe get a lens or two.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 14, 2013 07:39 |  #330

I'm pretty sure your Glock isn't close to affecting the look of your photos as much as a Big Stopper unless you have an accident and happens to perforate your camera gear.

As far as my Glock goes, you are correct. However, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, some people list their gear and like when other people list theirs' also so that they and others can ask about a specific item on these lists that they may be interested in. That being the case, my Bear Grylls multi-tool has definitely had an impact on my picture taking (because I have a few pictures where I'm clearly in pain, the emotion shows thru on my images ;-)a ) and if someone was curious and wanted to know if the pliers on that particular multi-tool are any good for removing a dog pear cactus with 4 spines imbedded 1/4 inch thru your jeans and into your calf (this would be the previously aforementioned shots taken when I was in some pain) then I can say, "Yes, they work fantastically-I just recommend that you have a friend with you to perform minor surgery in the field since it's hard to bend your leg to remove the cactus yourself when your jeans are essentially nailed to your body." The tweezers on the mini Swiss Army knife are great for when you back into a cactus, then run your hand down your jeans which causes you to now transfer dozens of practically microscopic cactus needles to your fingers and those little buggers will blow a shot for you every time, they're just SO annoying. Side note, despite that news story back in April that claimed the TSA was going to start allowing knives aboard planes, don't believe it-it's a viscous lie. TSA will detain you, bomb search your camera bag, force you thru security 3 times, AND confiscate your multi-tool and Swiss Army Knife because they each apparently have a tiny blade on them. Anyway, never underestimate the importance of my unconventional camera equipment, you just don't even know how vital it is to my photography. ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

sponsored links

84,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is owning a Canon Rebel a joke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.