Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 07 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon thread in the Eos forum... Ever wanted one?

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,285 posts
Gallery: 2151 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 13, 2013 21:09 |  #16

I think the World and this forum is big enough to share all dslr and slr makes, it would make for The concise forum an the net equaled by no one, a geat big happy, interesting, mingle of like minded camera buffs of all makes, and not to mention a Side by Side Thread by Thread talking point/picture point for All.....

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,285 posts
Gallery: 2151 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 13, 2013 21:14 |  #17

There realy is No need for Biggotrey or elitism or "my camera is better than your camera" or "i wouldnt touch that with a barge pole" etc etc its all down to just simple personal choice and what you preffer.

P.

Some stuff.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 13, 2013 23:19 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #18

I wanted a Nikon DSLR about 1,5 year ago because of their superior Sony EXMOR sensors even though I find Nikon DSLRs butt-ugly. But I changed my mind as soon as I held/handled a few. Their grip (where your right hand goes) appears to be made for baby hands. It's ridiculously small. Also their button placement is far from logical/practical. E.g. the ISO button should be close to the shutter button instead of somewhere else.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 14, 2013 02:11 |  #19

Pagman wrote in post #16450051 (external link)
There realy is No need for Biggotrey or elitism or "my camera is better than your camera" or "i wouldnt touch that with a barge pole" etc etc its all down to just simple personal choice and what you preffer.

P.

I hope it does,nt sound like such, biggot, nope ,would i would like is a sub forum since its called EOS forum,
Sub forums are cool.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 14, 2013 02:27 |  #20

jocau wrote in post #16450302 (external link)
I wanted a Nikon DSLR about 1,5 year ago because of their superior Sony EXMOR sensors even though I find Nikon DSLRs butt-ugly. But I changed my mind as soon as I held/handled a few. Their grip (where your right hand goes) appears to be made for baby hands. It's ridiculously small. Also their button placement is far from logical/practical. E.g. the ISO button should be close to the shutter button instead of somewhere else.

I had the same feeling holding it, but you get use to the grip.
I remember one of my friend telling me that the Canon felt akward in his hand.
Got me thinking if he as sane, hahahahahaah

One thing that i like was the viewfinder, i dont know if its only me, but i found the D7100 was really clear and sharp, compared to my 5d2.
i wear glasses, being 50 i have problems with my eyes, so it was fun to have a different feel even if the 5d2 is not bad either.

Lately i,ve been thinking bout the fuji XE2, or any great mirroless for travel, or urban photography.
These things are really awesome, with a OLED....and the overall feel is like have a very different toy, if we were all rich, we could use 3-4 cameras, just like i own apprx 8 guitars, they all have their own srenght and feel.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 14, 2013 06:26 |  #21

sega62 wrote in post #16450507 (external link)
I had the same feeling holding it, but you get use to the grip.
I remember one of my friend telling me that the Canon felt akward in his hand.
Got me thinking if he as sane, hahahahahaah

One thing that i like was the viewfinder, i dont know if its only me, but i found the D7100 was really clear and sharp, compared to my 5d2.
i wear glasses, being 50 i have problems with my eyes, so it was fun to have a different feel even if the 5d2 is not bad either.

Lately i,ve been thinking bout the fuji XE2, or any great mirroless for travel, or urban photography.
These things are really awesome, with a OLED....and the overall feel is like have a very different toy, if we were all rich, we could use 3-4 cameras, just like i own apprx 8 guitars, they all have their own srenght and feel.

I couldn't get used to it. I would definitely get cramps if I would hold a Nikon DSLR for a longer period. Also as far as I know there aren't any Nikon DSLRs with off-center crosstype AF points. Canon has lots of models which do have off-center crosstype AF points (T4i and up, xxD series, 7D, 5D3, 1 series...).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 14, 2013 11:00 |  #22

jocau wrote in post #16450714 (external link)
I couldn't get used to it. I would definitely get cramps if I would hold a Nikon DSLR for a longer period. Also as far as I know there aren't any Nikon DSLRs with off-center crosstype AF points. Canon has lots of models which do have off-center crosstype AF points (T4i and up, xxD series, 7D, 5D3, 1 series...).

Really, I did not know that info,
About the cramps, that i'm not sure, you should try one, don't you have any Nikon friends ;)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2013 11:20 |  #23

I tried D5200, after I accidentally killed AF on Nex and decided to try Nikon before reconmitting to Sony.

According to DxOMark, this should've been The Sh"t.

I was extremely disappointed. After owning 3 Rebels I came to expect a certain level of performance from a modern DSLR even with kit lens. Most shots were extremely soft even stopped down with direct flash. The AF was rather iffy, contributing to the problem. The colors had kind of snotty green look to them. I honestly got way better shots out of my T3i in full auto with an ancient EF 28-90 kit. This Nikon had two lens kit, the 18-55 VR was abhorrent, the Tele was better but still all photos came out soft. Not a good experience at all. YMMV.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

David83
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 14, 2013 12:05 |  #24

jocau wrote in post #16450302 (external link)

No hand room issues here :p

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5513/10857655153_3d36d2de95_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …52658923@N06/10​857655153/  (external link)
D4 w 28 1.8 G (external link) by D.C. 83 (external link), on Flickr

Sony A9 / Sony A7RIII / Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Master / Sony 24-70mm F2.8 G Master / Sony 85mm 1.4 G Master / Sony 16-35mm F2.8 G Master / Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4 / Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art / Nikon D5 / Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8G VR II / Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8G / Nikkor 58mm F1.4G

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 14, 2013 12:55 |  #25

sega62 wrote in post #16451246 (external link)
Really, I did not know that info,
About the cramps, that i'm not sure, you should try one, don't you have any Nikon friends ;)

I found that out after researching Nikon DSLRs e.g. their most expensive camera, the D4, has 51 AF points of which 15 of them are crosstype. Basically the 3 middle columns of AF points are crosstype (in other words: crosstype AF points are centered as hell).

The following image says it all:
http://www.dpreview.co​m …799914638/AF_po​ints_1.jpg (external link)

And I'll quote Dpreview:

As before, with lenses of f5.6 or faster, 15 of its 51 AF points act as cross-type: sensitive to both horizontal and vertical detail. The 9 central focus points will continue as cross type when used with lenses with a maximum aperture of between f5.6 and f8. And, in a step forward for the range, the D4’s central AF point will still operate as a cross-type point with lens or lens/converter combinations with a maximum aperture of f8. In addition 10 AF points retain horizontal sensitivity at this aperture.

Source: Dpreview (external link)

A 6.000 (?) dollar camera with no off-center crosstype AF points. Are you kidding me? And it seems like the center ones are "only" crosstype while the center ones on Canon DSLRs are often dual crosstype (e.g. the 5D3 and I even think the 70D too). Even the 5D3 (which is about half the price of a D4) will blow the D4 out of the water when talking about AF performance only.

David83 wrote in post #16451398 (external link)
No hand room issues here :p

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …52658923@N06/10​857655153/  (external link)
D4 w 28 1.8 G (external link) by D.C. 83 (external link), on Flickr

The grip of the D4 seems to be wide enough, but the camera is way too big/heavy (just like the 1Dx is way too big/heavy). Although I would have to hold one to be sure about the grip. I've played around with various Nikon DSLRs (e.g. D90, D3100, D3200, D5100, D5200, D7000, D7100 and D600) and all of them had the "grip problem". Even the 60D or 6D feels much better in my hands than any Nikon DSLR I've ever held in my hands.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2013 12:59 |  #26

dexy101 wrote in post #16449335 (external link)
A sub forum would be ok I guess, save having any Nikon talk in here at least. Remember it is a Canon forum, I feel one thread is more than enough.

The new forum will not be dedicated to the t-shirt fanboys. ;) It will be open to all brands. :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2013 13:06 |  #27

jocau wrote in post #16451522 (external link)
I found that out after researching Nikon DSLRs e.g. their most expensive camera, the D4, has 51 AF points of which 15 of them are crosstype. Basically the 3 middle columns of AF points are crosstype (in other words: crosstype AF points are centered as hell).

And I'll quote Dpreview:

A 6.000 (?) dollar camera with no off-center crosstype AF points. Are you kidding me? And it seems like the center ones are "only" crosstype while the center ones on Canon DSLRs are often dual crosstype (e.g. the 5D3 and I even think the 70D too). Even the 5D3 (which is about half the price of a D4) will blow the D4 out of the water when talking about AF performance only.

The grip of the D4 seems to be wide enough, but the camera is way too big/heavy (just like the 1Dx is way too big/heavy). Although I would have to hold it to be sure about the grip. I've played around with various Nikon DSLRs (e.g. D90, D3100, D3200, D5100, D5200, D7000, D7100 and D600) and all of them had the "grip problem". Even the 60D or 6D feels much better in my hands than any Nikon DSLR I've ever held in my hands.

I've shot a bunch of weddings with two D4s and a D3s. Did I lose any shots? Heck no! The 1Dx I borrowed was excellent but, I dislike the sensor.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 14, 2013 13:17 |  #28

jdizzle wrote in post #16451544 (external link)
I've shot a bunch of weddings with two D4s and a D3s. Did I lose any shots? Heck no! The 1Dx I borrowed was excellent but, I dislike the sensor.

Could be and I dislike the Nikon AF sensors. A characteristic of a non-crosstype AF point is that it only detects contrast details/patterns in one direction (e.g. horizontally or vertically). If contrast details/patterns are running in the wrong direction, a non-crosstype AF point will start hunting and fail to lock on. I've regularly experienced this with multiple DSLRs (e.g. with my 550D/T2i or the 6D) and that's why I'm not a big fan of non-crosstype AF points. Also for anything that moves, crosstype AF points are much better. No, where Nikon uses great (Sony) sensors and has some really nice glass, they always (completely) fail to impress me with their AF systems.

David83
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 14, 2013 13:24 |  #29

jocau wrote in post #16451522 (external link)

And I'll quote Dpreview:

The grip of the D4 seems to be wide enough, but the camera is way too big/heavy (just like the 1Dx is way too big/heavy). Although I would have to hold one to be sure about the grip. I've played around with various Nikon DSLRs (e.g. D90, D3100, D3200, D5100, D5200, D7000, D7100 and D600) and all of them had the "grip problem". Even the 60D or 6D feels much better in my hands than any Nikon DSLR I've ever held in my hands.

I've owned the 5D3 and many Canon 1D bodies and had a 1Dx for about 2 weeks. When it came to AF the 1Dx is the best camera I've ever used but only marginally better than the D4, and that was only in tracking mode... BUT...when the lights go down the Canons got put away because "Nothing" can focus in low light like the D4 can. I swear that thing can see in the dark.

the D4 is smaller and lighter than the 1Dx and it fits like a glove. My wife hates the way Nikons feel too so she has a 5D3 and loves it:D

if it takes great images..I could care less what name is on it

Sony A9 / Sony A7RIII / Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Master / Sony 24-70mm F2.8 G Master / Sony 85mm 1.4 G Master / Sony 16-35mm F2.8 G Master / Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4 / Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art / Nikon D5 / Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8G VR II / Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8G / Nikkor 58mm F1.4G

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 14, 2013 14:06 |  #30

David83 wrote in post #16451584 (external link)
I've owned the 5D3 and many Canon 1D bodies and had a 1Dx for about 2 weeks. When it came to AF the 1Dx is the best camera I've ever used but only marginally better than the D4, and that was only in tracking mode... BUT...when the lights go down the Canons got put away because "Nothing" can focus in low light like the D4 can. I swear that thing can see in the dark.

the D4 is smaller and lighter than the 1Dx and it fits like a glove. My wife hates the way Nikons feel too so she has a 5D3 and loves it:D

if it takes great images..I could care less what name is on it

I've also heard that the D4 is a killer regarding low light focusing. Have you compared it to the center AF point of the 6D? That should be the best AF point on any Canon body in very low light situations (down to -3EV). How much better the 5D3/1Dx AF system is compared to the D4 AF system, depends on the shooting conditions in my opinion.

I don't have any problem with Nikon otherwise, I respect them just like I respect e.g. Sony or Pentax. I can see "flaws" with any DSLR of any brand. But the disadvantages of Nikon DSLRs are bigger than the disadvantages of Canon DSLRs for me and that's why I'm shooting with Canon instead of Nikon. :)

sponsored links

4,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon thread in the Eos forum... Ever wanted one?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.