Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2013 (Friday) 08:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shutter replacement in London, UK

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 15, 2013 08:04 |  #1

A guy I know has a 5D Mark II, and the shutter is broken. A shop in Soho has quoted him 500 quid to replace it, but surely that's absolutely exorbitant?

Can anybody recommend somewhere in the UK, preferably London, that does shutter replacements for reasonable prices? What would be a reasonable price for this kind of procedure?

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

sponsored links
JohnB57
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 15, 2013 08:20 |  #2

CRD (external link) in Guildford are reputable repairers and will provide a free online estimate. A short train hop from central London.

DT ­ Visual
113 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 15, 2013 08:55 |  #3

Fixation (external link) in South London. Very reputable... Worth trying them.

|DT Visual Photography  (external link) |Facebook | (external link)DT Visual on 500px | (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 15, 2013 09:26 |  #4

Have you tried contacting Canon directly? Or alternatively via a local reseller?

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 15, 2013 11:53 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #5

use Canon direct, probably cheaper as well Elstree I believe is the location :cool:

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,197 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 15, 2013 12:57 |  #6

Here in the States, independent shops are charging around $250 to $350 for a shutter replacement. Canon is in the upper end of that range, at least as of last year.

Just to point out, there was an instance of both a shutter and mirror box replacement that was done by Canon for $650. Could that be what was quoted at 500 quid?

colintf
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 15, 2013 14:07 |  #7

I know UK Canon was cheaper for my lens repair than the other places that Canon UK recommended

Nalauk
93 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 15, 2013 15:34 |  #8

Not London, but Colchester and a CPS service centre.

http://camera-repair.co.uk/ (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 15, 2013 16:12 |  #9

I have used both Colchester Camera repair and Canon at Elstree - both are great.
I prefer to go direct to Canon - also it is closer for you.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 15, 2013 16:24 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #10

ive used canon in elstree and fixation in vauxhall.....i can recommend both

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Nalauk
93 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 16, 2013 06:57 |  #11

johnf3f wrote in post #16454546 (external link)
I have used both Colchester Camera repair and Canon at Elstree - both are great.
I prefer to go direct to Canon - also it is closer for you.

Interestingly when I phoned Canon (Elstree) up direct about a repair they weren't interested! They just pointed me toward Lehmanns in Stoke or Colchester Camera.

I've used both, Lehmanns were ok but I would not use them over Colchester now who were very good, very quick with reasonable cost, and actually did extra work with a spare part over what they quoted at no extra charge, it was cheap and easy to do as the camera was in bits, but hey they did it no charge!

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 16, 2013 15:06 |  #12

Nalauk wrote in post #16455665 (external link)
Interestingly when I phoned Canon (Elstree) up direct about a repair they weren't interested! They just pointed me toward Lehmanns in Stoke or Colchester Camera.

I've used both, Lehmanns were ok but I would not use them over Colchester now who were very good, very quick with reasonable cost, and actually did extra work with a spare part over what they quoted at no extra charge, it was cheap and easy to do as the camera was in bits, but hey they did it no charge!

That may be because my lens was serviced under the CPS scheme. I don't know if this is the case but it may be something to do with it.

Nalauk
93 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 16, 2013 15:54 |  #13

johnf3f wrote in post #16456584 (external link)
That may be because my lens was serviced under the CPS scheme. I don't know if this is the case but it may be something to do with it.

I phoned them and asked about a repair ( for a lens ). They said they didn't do repairs there and it would need to go to an approved service centre.

I'm guessing they were having a bad day ;)

Rayk
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 16, 2013 16:11 |  #14

onona wrote in post #16453461 (external link)
A guy I know has a 5D Mark II, and the shutter is broken. A shop in Soho has quoted him 500 quid to replace it, but surely that's absolutely exorbitant?

Can anybody recommend somewhere in the UK, preferably London, that does shutter replacements for reasonable prices? What would be a reasonable price for this kind of procedure?

Rip off!!!

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 17, 2013 08:15 |  #15

Nalauk wrote in post #16456677 (external link)
I phoned them and asked about a repair ( for a lens ). They said they didn't do repairs there and it would need to go to an approved service centre.

I'm guessing they were having a bad day ;)

I am surprised at your experience, as I said above, a couple of weeks ago they did my 70-200 F2.8 at Elstree.
Sorry I cannot help with this issue.

sponsored links

6,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shutter replacement in London, UK
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.