Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disappointing about Canon 24-70mm F/2.8 L, I sold it, and looking for a Tamron 24-70m

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,064 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 14, 2013 00:19 |  #61

gabebalazs wrote in post #16450217 (external link)
Funny, you referenced Roger Cicala of Lensrentals earlier. He also believes that the Tamron is the best bang for the buck = best value among the 24-70. Why is it so hard to understand, was I not clear?

(Quote from Roger: "Overall it is, for the money, the best 24-70 f/2.8 zoom available." )

By the way, how much did you buy your 24-70 II? Because just a few weeks ago it was on sale for about $1600 after rebate (I was tempted to buy one). So since you brought up resale value... that's a pretty hefty discount compared to just a couple months ago. That's about 700 bucks or about 30% discount just within a year or two since release. Apparently not the best place to park your money. :)

I paid full pop for my 24-70L II and I've used it for more than a year. I did it without flinching because I could afford it and it's the lens I've waited for for years. I climbed the bay bridge with it five different times.

been to Yellowstone twice, eastern sierras twice, Hollywood, west marin, Monterey, big sur etc etc. and going to the big island of Hawaii next month and it'll be the lens I use on the doors off helicopter tour.

count your pennies and get your best bang for the buck. I bought a lens to last at least 10 years. eventually you'll take a hit on the tammy and buy the lens you really wanted. I've done that too. good luck to you :D

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links
gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2013 07:19 |  #62

ed rader wrote in post #16450395 (external link)
I paid full pop for my 24-70L II and I've used it for more than a year. I did it without flinching because I could afford it and it's the lens I've waited for for years. I climbed the bay bridge with it five different times.

been to Yellowstone twice, eastern sierras twice, Hollywood, west marin, Monterey, big sur etc etc. and going to the big island of Hawaii next month and it'll be the lens I use on the doors off helicopter tour.

count your pennies and get your best bang for the buck. I bought a lens to last at least 10 years. eventually you'll take a hit on the tammy and buy the lens you really wanted. I've done that too. good luck to you :D

There you go Ed, this is the key sentence above.
Just because you can afford it, it doesn't mean that everybody must do the same. Why are you trying to prescribe what others should do with their money? Not everybody is made of money. If we all were, we would all drive Ferraris, live in $50million mansions, and there would be only one brand of everything because it's the "best or nothing". Well, it isn't like that. People have the right to make a decision based on their needs and budget. That's why we have Canon, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina etc.

I'm glad you got to do all those things with your lens, sounds like fun, I love to travel too, but how is this relevant to this conversation? Now, should I list where I've been with my lens? Is that going to be a relevant information to others here who are trying to decide which one to buy? Is someone definitely going to pick the Canon just because you've taken yours to all those exotic places? Sounds like a commercial on TV :) At least I posted some photos from my Tamron, that's a bigger help.

Funny how my most traveled lens is (was) my old Tamron 18-270 VC that's been around the US and Europe about 6 times, still it won't make it any more or less awesome :)

So in conclusion, yes, I get you. You have money you bought the best, but not necessarily the best bang for the buck in the 24-70. And bashing other competent lenses just because you can afford the Canon won't change that.

But again, I don't know why I'm doing this, it's well known here that you despise anything other than Canon.

Here's DPreview's conclusion by the way:
"Overall the Tamron comes so close to the much more expensive non-stabilized Canon and Nikon lenses, both optically and operationally, that it's difficult to see why most enthusiast photographers might choose to buy them instead. That's not to say that there aren't any differences - the Tamron's not quite so quick at focusing, and chances are it's not as well weathersealed - but quite simply it offers much better value for your money."

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,080 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 14, 2013 07:30 |  #63

Well I've taken my Tamron to McDonalds down the street but it captured my kids playing, laughing, crying, smiling and other moments that quite frankly I will cherish those captures for the rest of my life.

This is purely my opinion but in 60 years nobody will give a crap about photos of a tree or building or landscape but will love the images of the back when. I still love looking through my grandmas photos and seeing their slice of life being captures as it use to be.

...what lens you choose to use to capture those moments doesn't matter at all. We love the images from the 60s and everything now blows that away. Who cares. If you enjoy your lens use it and thats why I have my Tamron. I enjoy it.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 15, 2013 12:22 |  #64

And now you made be go and buy the v. II of this lense.
I'll just have to block this site. It is becoming too expensive!

bag

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 15, 2013 13:57 |  #65

Kanye wrote in post #16437779 (external link)
Get your eyes checked?

Last time I checked it had an awesome rating overall and is one of Canon's best sellers.

Thanks for your tremendously valuable input to this thread. :rolleyes:

Next time, perhaps you can offer input about a lens you actually own and can speak to, rather than regurgitating other reviews and historical revenue data.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,080 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 15, 2013 14:01 |  #66

I just really think that it'll be VERY hard to see a difference with either lens in an ACTUAL print. I rarely print 13x19 and most just 8x10 or smaller. With that being said I would bet to anyone to see a difference. Probably colors is all you would see.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

niku2
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 15, 2013 14:17 |  #67

There was an old thread here about Canon 24-70 "mk I ". The lens production until 2011 was hit or mis to get a good sample.
I owned one from january 2011 and was sharp at 2.8.

This foto is a jpeg from camera, only resize, at f2.8.

LE
What I dont like about Tamrons, is the grainy look of outfocus background.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 15, 2013 14:23 |  #68

People get so wrapped up in must having the best that sometimes they believe they actually need it.

I agree, in print or web use I can't imagine anyone being able to tell which of the three lenses (f/2.8) has been used.
At home in front of a PC I'm sure the differences are slightly more noticeable, especially at 100% and looking at extreme corners, but none of them are so bad that they would hold anyone back, at least as far as IQ goes.

When it comes to actually getting the shot, AI servo, low light etc, then that's where the real differences are IMO. I've never had a 3rd party lens that has been as quick to focus as well a good USM lens, and in low light I found my Canon MKII to be so much more accurate, and consistently so, that it was worth the extra cost to me.

The Tamorn might have got a best bang for buck award but thats not saying it's better, just better value for some people (and I agree). I found it too slow to keep up with AI servo, to erratic in low light and each copy had its IQ quirks. Igoring the IQ, which was very good and more than acceptable to me, I felt it was a lens that held me back. That's not to say I'm any good, just that for how I like to use my camera the Tamron wasn't up to the job.

Just my thoughts though, based on my own experiences.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 15, 2013 14:38 |  #69

snakeneck wrote in post #16449897 (external link)
Tamron was good for me at first...but after about a year it started going soft.

I, too, smear vaseline on my lenses and rub the front element against hard rocks all day long.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

Walkundertherain
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 17, 2013 18:47 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

I have purchased a Tamron 17-50 Non-VC and have problem with its colour, so I think I will say goodbye to Tamron 24-70, I may purchase a Canon 40mm STM, this lens look like will pretty good for landscape and portrait as well

N2bnfunn
690 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2013 18:48 |  #71

TWO WORDS "Eye Doctor"

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Ballen ­ Photo
20,067 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 17, 2013 19:10 |  #72

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #16448572 (external link)
Some just won't consider anything other than the Red ring but if you are open to other choices...

Might wanna check this comparison: :D
http://fstoppers.com …ng-best-24-70mm-lens-womp (external link)

Nice video. ;)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links

9,270 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disappointing about Canon 24-70mm F/2.8 L, I sold it, and looking for a Tamron 24-70m
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.