Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 23:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Traded my 60D for a 5D

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 15, 2013 19:15 |  #46

Me, personally, for "pure" shooting and IQ - 5D over any existing Canon crop camera.

Fair trade IMO - 5D is still a very nice camera to shoot with. Very little distractions, makes great images.

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,070 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 15, 2013 19:20 |  #47

Kanye wrote in post #16454901 (external link)
Takes nice pics, already can feel a "different" look to them, more creamy, more realistic?

DOF just got thinner with all your lenses :D

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 15, 2013 19:57 |  #48

Charlie wrote in post #16454964 (external link)
DOF just got thinner with all your lenses :D

Which is only an advantage if what you shoot requires it. For some shots that is actually detrimental. ;)

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Frodge
Goldmember
3,076 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 15, 2013 20:23 |  #49

Nice shots. Clear.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,076 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 15, 2013 20:24 |  #50

Preeb wrote in post #16455027 (external link)
Which is only an advantage if what you shoot requires it. For some shots that is actually detrimental. ;)

I think, personally, for a lot of shots it's detrimental.
That's just me.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2013 20:34 |  #51

Frodge wrote in post #16454685 (external link)
I own a 60d and a t3i. Like them both. Shot 35 mm for 28 years before this. Don't really care what forum wannabes have to say about which body is 100x better. Lol. If you're a good photographer the differences are negligible. My instinct tells me that a lot of people have great equipment with much smaller skillsets. This goes for any hobby I ever had. The need that shows up with his 10k bike and can't pedal it up a hill is the first thing that comes to mind.

The biggest advantage of full frame for me is the increased availability and usefulness of prime lenses, especially film era manual lenses. I like having a wide choice of "standard" lenses and wide angle primes to choose from, crop simply doesn't give me that kind of variety. In fact usually you're limited to 1 choice if any for prime lenses. On top of that the increased DOF is useful often (though, not always) for my style of photography.

I agree that there are probably some users out there who don't really need full frame, but that doesn't make them "wannabes" either, if they can afford it and it's what they want, more power to them.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,076 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 15, 2013 20:56 |  #52

Agreed. The "wannabe" comment was kind of like "if the shoe fits wear it" sort of thing. I'm sure ff is great, but you can surely tell that there is a good portion of people that are equipment geeks. I could care less what people use or what they like when it comes to equipment. What irks me is the people that rabidly force their views on others with no room for judgement. Happens all the time. Again, this is not directed toward anyone specifically. "If the show fits"
On another note, I have guys in my bicycle club. That argue of grams of weight cut from their bicycles and they ride once a week, are overweight to some degree, or quite frankly, aren't that good of a rider. While there is nothin wrong with having a super nice bicycle, it is also often these same people from the example above that coerce people, or try to coerce them that their current bike is slowing them down and they "need" a new one. It irks me. Reason being is I ride with the A group in my town, am in the top 4 out of all the folks that ride and have a 10 year old bike that just fits right. Had a new one last year and never got used to it, and t was specced out way better than my old one. For some reason, the old one just works for me better. That's my point.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2013 23:18 |  #53

Frodge wrote in post #16455105 (external link)
Agreed. The "wannabe" comment was kind of like "if the shoe fits wear it" sort of thing. I'm sure ff is great, but you can surely tell that there is a good portion of people that are equipment geeks. I could care less what people use or what they like when it comes to equipment. What irks me is the people that rabidly force their views on others with no room for judgement. Happens all the time. Again, this is not directed toward anyone specifically. "If the show fits"
On another note, I have guys in my bicycle club. That argue of grams of weight cut from their bicycles and they ride once a week, are overweight to some degree, or quite frankly, aren't that good of a rider. While there is nothin wrong with having a super nice bicycle, it is also often these same people from the example above that coerce people, or try to coerce them that their current bike is slowing them down and they "need" a new one. It irks me. Reason being is I ride with the A group in my town, am in the top 4 out of all the folks that ride and have a 10 year old bike that just fits right. Had a new one last year and never got used to it, and t was specced out way better than my old one. For some reason, the old one just works for me better. That's my point.

I hear you, I wasn't trying to belittle your comment or anything, just saying that it's not always (and in my opinion, not usually) the case.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Krichton
126 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 17, 2013 20:42 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #54

RMLPhoto wrote in post #16454563 (external link)
I went from a 60D to a 5D Classic and immediately fell in love with the raw images. MUCH better files than produced by the 60D. I constantly came back from shooting with the 60D disappointed and that stopped when I started using my 5D. Just much better iQ and that's all I was concerned with. No need to compare all the bells and whistles if your bottom line is which will give me the better image quality. Good choice! you won't regret it, ever.

Any issues with focus on the 5dc compared to it's newer counterparts, or the mark II?

Frodge wrote in post #16454718 (external link)
"100x better" is a silly thing to say. I'm not being hostile, that's what I don't like about the boards. Written word can be taken out of context very easily. You do have more pull, and your opinion is valuable to the forums. To the OP, congratulations on your trade. I hope you enjoy your new body!

Of course it's a silly thing to say, if you were to take it literally. That's why they call it hyperbole.

RMLPhoto
433 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 17, 2013 21:19 |  #55

Krichton wrote in post #16459499 (external link)
Any issues with focus on the 5dc compared to it's newer counterparts, or the mark II?

Of course it's a silly thing to say, if you were to take it literally. That's why they call it hyperbole.

Finally, someone understands me! :lol:

The center focus point is the only usable focus point (not to be taken literally) for shooting anything moving with ai servo. But with that said I was just out taking photos of my dogs chasing each other yesterday and a good 75% of shots were in focus on the face where I was attempting to aim at a running dog. So yes, the 5d is plenty capable of grabbing an accurate focus, but it is not necessarily easy.

The outer focus points are perfectly usable for landscape stuff and still objects/posing people, but struggle some in lower light situations.

Just sold my 5DC tonight :cry: but in 10 days when I return from canada I will have a 6D

-Ryan
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS MkI and Nifty Fifty
Please check out my Flickr (external link)

KyleSealPhotography
32 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 21, 2014 09:25 |  #56

Paulstw wrote in post #16453073 (external link)
I know a few photojournalists who still use a 5Dc. I reckon one of the reasons you don't see many for sale on ebay and the like is because it's still a great camera for people. I'd do it myself if I wasn't such an all rounder.

There are tons on eBay, though.

They don't stay long though, they get scooped up quickly.

I keep the 5D classic posts on a notification, I see about 20 go up in a week and see in a few days.

http://www.flickr.com/​KyleSealPhotography (external link)
Bodies: 5D Classic, 7D, 600D (backup), F-1 & AE-1.
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L (in waiting), 50mm f/1.4, Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye, 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS), FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 28mm f/2.8 & FD 135mm f/3.5

sponsored links

7,261 views & 0 likes for this thread
Traded my 60D for a 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.