Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Compact Flash Life?

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 12, 2013 23:24 |  #1

I recall a few years ago when the SD/CF etc cards were introduced, it was wise not to buy anything bigger than 2GB because they had a higher fail rate? Not sure if that's right, but it's what I recall reading or hearing.

Does that happen to still be the case? I've been thinking about picking up a 64GB CF card for the 5D MKIII, as I hate switching between cards.

Would this be wise? Should I buy two 32's instead? Or three 16's (I already have one 16)?

Thanks!

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 13, 2013 03:49 |  #2

HailttRedskins wrote in post #16447346 (external link)
I recall a few years ago when the SD/CF etc cards were introduced, it was wise not to buy anything bigger than 2GB because they had a higher fail rate? Not sure if that's right, but it's what I recall reading or hearing.

It wasn't right then and it's not right now. Besides, when CF cards were introduced nobody even dreamed of 2GB capacity. My first CF was a massive 0.008 GB!

Buy the largest card you need to hold a full day's shooting. Some people will say something along the lines of 'blah, blah, bleat, lose all your shots, bleat, blah, blah, all your eggs in one basket, blah, bleat, blah'. I've been using CF cards for around 15 years and never have had one fail. I have, however, lost a card (put it somewhere 'safe' in the heat of the moment).

With one big card the only way I can lose it is if I lose the camera - and I'm likely to notice if that falls out of a pocket.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

oniscus
115 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2013 06:26 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #3

all my cf cards are still working even my 128mb days of the rebel

https://photography-on-the.net …ight=oniscus#po​st11272604

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 13, 2013 10:02 |  #4

Thought it was a load of crap, but thought I should check just in case. Thanks. I've never lost one and I'm pretty good about that. Unless something happens to the CF card, I can't even delete all my photos at once like I could with the 400D, without going in the menu and purposely doing it.

Thanks for the responses!

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 13, 2013 15:08 |  #5

I can't believe you've never had one fail. In the last 8 years, I've had 2 fail. One was a Sandisk and the other was a Lexar (I think both were 2GB cards). I'll never get a Lexar again since they wouldn't work with me on replacing the card that I think had a lifetime warranty.

I shoot with 16GB cards now and haven't had any problems. If I needed a 32GB card, I would get one.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 14, 2013 11:48 |  #6

hollis_f wrote in post #16447605 (external link)
It wasn't right then and it's not right now. Besides, when CF cards were introduced nobody even dreamed of 2GB capacity. My first CF was a massive 0.008 GB!

Buy the largest card you need to hold a full day's shooting. Some people will say something along the lines of 'blah, blah, bleat, lose all your shots, bleat, blah, blah, all your eggs in one basket, blah, bleat, blah'. I've been using CF cards for around 15 years and never have had one fail. I have, however, lost a card (put it somewhere 'safe' in the heat of the moment).

With one big card the only way I can lose it is if I lose the camera - and I'm likely to notice if that falls out of a pocket.

A few years ago I was photographing a local castle and another photographer there was preaching to his friend about the safety/benefits of smaller capacity cards. As his small card was full he removed it and, unfortunately dropped it - he was nearly waist deep in a river! The timing was just perfect!
I just managed to suppress my giggles, I hate to see people have problems, but it was so funny.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,258 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 16, 2013 09:55 |  #7

Just a point of interest, I see that Best Buy has a sale on the Sandisk 32 GB Extreme CF card (120 mb/s) starting tomorrow (11/17). Price is $80, normally $150 so says the ad. Likely this price can be beaten by mail order but sometimes it is nice to deal with a reputable source for memory and visually examine packaging prior to purchase.

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 16, 2013 11:39 |  #8

I might take a look at that. Thanks John.

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Compact Flash Life?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.