Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's up with EOS-M price drop?

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 16, 2013 20:43 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I bought my M kit (22mm + 18-55 + flash) for $400 and imo you really can't ask for more at that price.

Exceptional value and performance (especially the 22mm), perfect for general use.

As long as you don't try to capture anything that moves (continuous AF and tracking is completely useless), it does a pretty good job.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,335 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 16, 2013 21:01 |  #17

it pretty much has been discontinued...i think the only stock that is left is the last of it...you can't buy a kit with the 22mm anymore on B&H, and it's listed as discontinued

for what it was, at the price point it was set...it was a total flop in the U.S....i wouldn't be surprised if they don't even offer the next one here...they don't sell the EF-M 11-22mm here, and you'd think if it was something that they planned on continuing in the US they'd at least sell their newest lens here...

but at $300 it does seem like a great deal...i'm kinda surprised that i didn't pick one up myself

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 16, 2013 22:31 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #18

It's not available through Canon's online store, so it has likely been discontinued. The last of the stock is being sold through other merchants like B&H and Amazon at deep discounts. The EOS-M2 will be coming out to replace it and will be better, but also more expensive.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

ACESFULL82
731 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 16, 2013 22:44 |  #19

http://www.canonrumors​.com …e-next-eos-m-in-2014-cr2/ (external link)

Canon crap and Canon lenses

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 16, 2013 22:56 |  #20

I got mine for $300 and wouldn't think of ditching it, even with my upcoming purchase of a 6D in the works. The M is easy to carry around and, more importantly for me, is discreet.

I took it to a convention and was able to get some really good shots. But it missed a lot more than it hit. Very frustrating. It doesn't do action well or celebrities who won't hold still.

Here's the good and the bad.

Good: Gus Fring from Breaking Bad (and dorky me). His name is actually Giancarlo Esposito, and he was all smiles (when not posing, of course).

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Walkerstalker/i-9R6Pbvd/0/XL/IMG_1740b-XL.jpg

And then there's this crap. How the autofocus decided to shoot right through us is beyond me. But I'm not surprised. I must have accidentally touched the screen doing the selfie-pose, shifting the focus to the ceiling. This is Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead. I was so bummed that his shot came out blurry. He was gone a second later.

Darn M.

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Walkerstalker/i-ZmVWJ3J/0/XL/IMG_1819-XL.jpg

But I still love it, and the celebrities I met didn't mind it as it's a "point and shoot."

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2013 23:01 |  #21

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16457404 (external link)
I got mine for $300 and wouldn't think of ditching it, even with my upcoming purchase of a 6D in the works. The M is easy to carry around and, more importantly for me, is discreet.

I took it to a convention and was able to get some really good shots. But it missed a lot more than it hit. Very frustrating. It doesn't do action well or celebrities who won't hold still.

Good: Gus Fring from Breaking Bad (and dorky me). His name is actually Giancarlo Esposito, and he was all smiles (when not posing, of course).

QUOTED IMAGE

And then there's this crap. How the autofocus decided to shoot right through us is beyond me. But I'm not surprised. I must have accidentally touched the screen doing the selfie-pose, shifting the focus to the ceiling. This is Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead. I was so bummed that his shot came out blurry. He was gone a second later.

Darn M.

QUOTED IMAGE

But I still love it, and the celebrities I met didn't mind it as it's a "point and shoot."

Second pic is real disappointing. Depending on the frequency of that focusing error, I would say its unnacceptable, unless that is one off thing. I've read the af is awful on the reviews. Makes it a non entity in my book. It is a pretty little camera though. If not for the af woes I would buy one.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,335 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 16, 2013 23:01 |  #22

it almost looks like the center point would've hit the elbow in between your heads....i wouldn't blame the camera for a mis-focused selflie shot where nobody is looking at the LCD screen...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 16, 2013 23:02 |  #23

Like I said, it's a great camera for the money. I got mine for 299. I can put it in a cargo pocket and even in some shorts/pants pockets if they are loose enough.

Here's another from the same convention. Out of six shots of me and Scott Wilson, only two were in focus, and the guy using my camera was doing his best.

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Walkerstalker/i-RnGVPZ8/0/XL/Mike%20and%20Hershel-XL.jpg

After taking that above blurry shot of Andrew Lincoln, I found myself in the middle of a pack of pro photographers. Someone came out and said, "Alright photographers. Follow me," and so I went in. They let us take pics of the cast of The Walking Dead for one minute. They they told the press to leave. I stayed and took more pics. Had a great time. Another case in which a DSLR would have gotten me kicked out.

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Walkerstalker/i-JNjrtBH/0/XL/IMG_1838b-XL.jpg

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 17, 2013 01:08 |  #24

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16457404 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Darn M.

QUOTED IMAGE

are you using the the old fw or the new fw?

like someone else said, i wouldnt blame the af if the camera operator did not wait for the af confirm, we know its a slow af camera.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,070 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2013 03:26 |  #25

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16457415 (external link)
Out of six shots of me and Scott Wilson, only two were in focus, and the guy using my camera was doing his best.

QUOTED IMAGE

I'm sorry but 2/6 is terrible. Who cares if the 2 shots look good, my Samsung Galaxy phone would have got 6/6 no problem in that situation. You can't really blame the guy taking the pics, you couldn't have dominated the shot any more than you have...............

This is the reason for the price drop !!

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,901 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 17, 2013 03:54 |  #26

DreDaze wrote in post #16457411 (external link)
it almost looks like the center point would've hit the elbow in between your heads....

This.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 17, 2013 04:53 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

hes gone wrote in post #16457709 (external link)
=he's gone;16457709]This.

+1

User error....

It's a simple shot that doesn't challenge the M. (or any camera really...)

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 17, 2013 05:40 |  #28

No longer available at Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com​/ICAMK.html?discontinu​ed=t (external link)

Still available at B&H

JIM

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 17, 2013 07:15 |  #29

I was actually looking to potentially snatch a kit with he 22mm, discontinued at b&h. That in itself is very telling.

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 17, 2013 09:47 |  #30

I realized the selfie shot of me with Andrew Lincoln is not the camera's fault, but keep in mind that the focus takes forever to get going in normal situations.

I have, from that weekend, many out of focus shots due to the system hunting and hunting.

This is with the most current firmware update.

I'll try to be a little more specific on what it does right and wrong:

1. When I hold it I can get good shots of posed or slowly-moving subjects. It takes practice, but I've gotten pretty good at it.

2. Handing the camera to someone else, on the other hand, is a lot trickier. The pictures in which I handed the camera to someone else were very, very frustrating.

It took about six tries to get a couple decent ones with Scott Wilson (Santa Clause-looking dude from The Walking Dead) and even more attempts to get Giancarlo Esposito (from Breaking Bad).

Esposito (Gus) had a short line, and he and I spent a lot of time talking about cameras and photography. He was able to experience, first hand, the frustration of this camera's autofocus.

And, as mentioned, it's not so much that the autofocus misses as it is the amount of time it takes the autofocus to find its target. It's nowhere near DSLR speed...not even close....and with such a big sensor it makes a big difference. The reason most point and shoots focus so easily compared to the M is that they have tiny sensors. They don't need to focus as much.

All-in-all, if you can pick one up for 300 bucks, you can't go wrong. It's a really good camera if you have the time to compose your shot.

This is ISO 2000 in really poor light. But, since the motorcycle held still I was able to get a pretty good shot.

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Walkerstalker/i-7ssPzLk/0/L/IMG_1759-L.jpg

But, finally, a lot of my photos suffer from user error. No camera can fix that.

sponsored links

5,655 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's up with EOS-M price drop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.