Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Simple Question, Please. Aging EOS 7D or New 70D?

h14nha
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2013 05:55 |  #16

StayFrosty wrote in post #16457674 (external link)
I've not used the 70d but last year I had the choice of a 7d or a 60d and I took the 60d, for my needs it was the better camera. (cost was not an issue)

The 70d, in my opinion, makes the 7d look like something out of the dark ages feature wise! Compare it to some of the latest non Canon cameras and the 7d looks and feels prehistoric.

So you've not used either camera then ? ? ?

Canon v Nikon v Sony you have a point. In the Canon line up the 7D is still unrivalled for birders on a budget. Can you name a better camera ? ? ?

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links
Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 17, 2013 06:56 |  #17

I've had very good luck shooting birds with a 60d and a tamron 70-300vc.

Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 17, 2013 07:23 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #18

If your not using the camera to its limits I'd say there will only be a marginal difference in IQ between the two if at all a perceptible difference. Currently the 70d is $400.00 less than the 7D. Why is beyond me. The 7d was down to $1300.00 not to long ago and is now back up to $1500.00. That would be the main reason I wouldn't buy a 7D. That and the fact that the 7D's replacement will probably be out within 6 months. I've been tempted by the 70d but it just doesn't quite do it for me. That's why I wouldn't pick either one. Gun to my head and if I could only have one body between the two I'd probably lean toward the 70d mainly cause of the price difference. If price is no object these are the differences to consider.

Flip out screen. 7D doesn't have one.
Touch screen. 7D doesn't have one.
In camera HDR. 7D doesn't have it.
70D as a higher resolution screen.
70D has more mega pixels 20 vs 18
70d has higher iso
70d has video autofocus
7D has better build quality
7D has larger viewfinder
7D shoots faster

I'm sure I've missed a couple of things but those are the main ones that come to mind.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2013 08:56 |  #19

I always say that if someone is willing to buy used, currently the 7D is a better option as long as video is not very important (AF in video that is).

But I personally switched from a 7D to a 70D (still have both).

To add to the above points, the 70D has AF microadjustment for both ends of a zoom lens, which is useful (rarely is a zoom lens calibrated exactly the same at both ends of the zoom.)
I also like the "minimum shutter speed" feature (just like in the 6D). This helps me a lot at indoor event shooting.
I also like the high ISO files better from the 70D, it less "dirty" i.e. less blotchy, and lacks the 7D white/black specks in the shadows (again that is only at higher ISO's like 1600 and above).

Still, since 7D used prices are pretty low, it's a great value. If buying new, the 70D is also to be considered.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 17, 2013 11:53 as a reply to  @ gabebalazs's post |  #20

My first DSLR was a 60D, so that's the control system I learned. About a year ago, my wife "permanently borrowed" the 60D, so I got a refurbished 7D (I wanted better focusing than the 60D). When the 70D came out, I bought one as a 2nd body. It quickly became my primary body! I took the 7D and a 17-55 lens that I didn't use much and traded those for another 70D body. My wife used the 70D for a while, and she found that pictures of the grandkids were easier to take and had better IQ than the 60D. So we traded her 60D for yet another 70D. We're very happy with our choices.

Regards, Jim

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 18, 2013 03:28 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16457766 (external link)
You compared the 60D and 7D, bought the 60D and then think the 7D is prehistoric feature-wise?

That seems a bit odd, because the 7D offers more features over the 60D, I guess that makes the 60D even more prehistoric. :)

On a more serious note, there are a few things that the 7D still has up its sleeve that isn't on the 70D: burst speed, burst capacity, 100% viewfinder, and spot AF. Some of these are very small advantages, but the burst speed and capacity is pretty nice for action shooters. It's price is lower on the used market as well, so it is more budget-friendly.

You'll note I specifically used the phases "My take on it..", "for my needs..." and "In my opinion..." :)

I completely appreciate the 7d is a better camera for birding and sports but the OP was asking our opinion and although my experience only lets me compare the 7d to the 60d I thought what I had so say was at least a little relevant as the 70d spec is better than the 60d, maybe not eh?

For me the flippy LCD screen on the 60d is a 100x more useful feature than a couple of extra frames per second burst speed. There may or may not be other photographers out there who think the same.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

AngryWabbit
110 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 18, 2013 03:35 |  #22

This is probably pointless as i don't own either. (I own a 6D)

I personally would buy the 7D as it would be more suited for me.

You need to tell yourself that neither is necessarily better, it all down to which one is more suited for your photography needs...

You really should go and test both out at a camera shop :)

Canon 6D - Sigma 35mm ART - 50mm f1.4 - 50mm f1.8 - 24-105L 100mm Macro IS F2.8L - Samyang 14mm F2.8 - Optomax 300mm - My Eyes L - 430ex

AngryWabbit
110 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 18, 2013 03:37 |  #23

Lucy Brown wrote in post #16457845 (external link)
If your not using the camera to its limits I'd say there will only be a marginal difference in IQ between the two if at all a perceptible difference. Currently the 70d is $400.00 less than the 7D. Why is beyond me. The 7d was down to $1300.00 not to long ago and is now back up to $1500.00. That would be the main reason I wouldn't buy a 7D. That and the fact that the 7D's replacement will probably be out within 6 months. I've been tempted by the 70d but it just doesn't quite do it for me. That's why I wouldn't pick either one. Gun to my head and if I could only have one body between the two I'd probably lean toward the 70d mainly cause of the price difference. If price is no object these are the differences to consider.

Flip out screen. 7D doesn't have one.
Touch screen. 7D doesn't have one.
In camera HDR. 7D doesn't have it.
70D as a higher resolution screen.
70D has more mega pixels 20 vs 18
70d has higher iso
70d has video autofocus
7D has better build quality
7D has larger viewfinder
7D shoots faster

I'm sure I've missed a couple of things but those are the main ones that come to mind.

Based on those Pros and Cons... i'd definately be buying a 7D

Canon 6D - Sigma 35mm ART - 50mm f1.4 - 50mm f1.8 - 24-105L 100mm Macro IS F2.8L - Samyang 14mm F2.8 - Optomax 300mm - My Eyes L - 430ex

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 18, 2013 08:27 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

AngryWabbit wrote in post #16460149 (external link)
Based on those Pros and Cons... i'd definately be buying a 7D

I considered both, then rejected them for a 5DIII, which I can't afford. I'll stick to my 60D & 5Dc.

BTW, I love your screen name, but shouldn't it be: AngwyWabbit? JK:)

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
381 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 18, 2013 09:09 as a reply to  @ I Love Cats's post |  #25

Coming soon...should I buy the 8D or 80D? Should I try the cameras or check out the POTN posts?

Canon 90D & M6 Advanced Amateur

Maxxum5
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 18, 2013 10:10 |  #26

Edgar in ATL wrote in post #16460634 (external link)
Coming soon...should I buy the 8D or 80D? Should I try the cameras or check out the POTN posts?

Are these cameras on the "Soon to be released" horizon? :lol:

I did go to Best Buy and feel out the EOS 70D. The fit and feel is fine for me. Feels hefty in my hands, but not overwhelming. Too bad Best Buy does not carry a 7D.

Thanks again for all the input! And to Edgar in ATL, do you suggest I should wait it out for the 9D? :lol::lol:

dnauer
529 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 18, 2013 10:45 |  #27

AngryWabbit wrote in post #16460146 (external link)
This is probably pointless as i don't own either. (I own a 6D). I personally would buy the 7D as it would be more suited for me.

You've captured my curiosity what in the 7D makes it more suited for you? Not being confrontational -- but curious. The 70D layout, buttons (pad, no joystick), etc is very similar to the 6D so you'd have a very similar camera with the 70D. The 7D layout is quite different from the 6D. SO what features in the 7D over the 70D make it more suited for you, especially considering you have a 6D?

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2013 11:08 |  #28

There are lots of ways to look at it...

Depreciation: 7D is a 4 year old model and bound to be replaced soon. When a "Mark II" comes out, the value of the current model will drop (unless Canon really screws something up and the Mk II is a big flop, which is unlikely). So a 70D will likely hold it's value better. At least for a couple years until it, too is relaced by "80D" or whatever.

Durability: 7D is more heavily built, more metal clad, better sealed and I suspect has a higher rated shutter (150K). Haven't seen any shutter rating for the 70D, but if it follows the theme of the other xxD cameras, it would be a 100K shutter. Might not matter, if you don't use high frame rate a whole lot.

Focusing: Nearly identical, except that the 7D has two additional focus configurations: Spot Focus and Expansion Point Focus. Both cameras have All Points/Auto Selection, Single Point/Manual Selection, and Zone Focus. I'm a fan of Spot Focus for some purposes, and to a lesser degree Expansion Points, so in this respect I'm more inclined to the 7D. Both have 19 cross-type AF points and the Active Matrix focus screen. 7D has a discrete chip driving the AF system (similar to 1D series models) and a pair of Digic 4 processors... but this might not make all that much difference since the single Digic 5 processor used by the 70D fror everything is claimed to be quite an upgrade. The 70D's menu has some improvements that make accessing and tweaking various settings, including those related to AF, a bit easier. 70D has the new version of Micro Focus Adjust, which supports more lenses (40 vs 20), is lens serial number specific (vs lens model specific), and allows two adjustments on zooms. This is the same as on 5DIII, 6D and 1DX. 60D didn't have MFA at all! 50D, 7D and 5DII all have the same, first version of MFA.

Controls: the 7D follows the general layout of the 50D and earlier, and the 5d series, which many feel is a bit easier to use. 70D follows on the design revisions of the 60D, which also have been carried over into the 6D. This is sort of a step up from, but includes some aspects of the Rebel/xxxD series cameras. The most noticeable difference is the "joystick" on the 7D, where the 70D uses a mult-directional button instead. On the other hand, the 70D (and 60D/6D) design makes access possible when using the camera in vertical orientation with a battery grip... While the 7D doesn't facilitate this (5D III got a second "joystick" on the battery grip, to solve this problem.... Hopefully Canon will add this feature to the BG-E7 "Mark II" for the 7D Mark II camera, when it comes out).

Video: If you'll be shooting a lot of video, the 70D is going to be the better choice. It's far more advanced for this purpose than the 7D.

Articulated LCD Screen: Which 70D has, 7D doesn't. The articulated screen should be helpful for video in particular. Can be useful for low angle or high angle still shooting, too. The articulated screen does add some bulk to the camera body, and it might limit screen size and be a bit less durable than a fixed screen. So, much as I'd like it, I don't expect to see an articulated screen on the 7D Mark II.

Frame rate: I really don't see all that much diff between the 7D's 8 fps and the 70D's 7 fps. Both cameras will need to slow down under many common conditions anyway, such as when performing metering during a burst of shots.

Viewfinder: There also is very minimal diff between 100% and 98% viewfinder. In some respects, a less-than-100% viewfinder can be a bit more forgiving, might save a shot occasionally where you crowded the edge of the image too closely.... a 100% VF won't.

Image quality: Minor differences.

High ISO performance: Minor differences.

Metering System: Same.

Wireless flash control: Same.

WiFi: 70D has it. 7D doesn't... 7D relies upon a rather pricey, separate WFT module, which has the advantage of giving considerably greater range than built-in WiFi (approx. 100M vs 30M).

Bracketing: 70D can do up to 7 shots in a bracketed sequence. 7D can only do a 3 shot sequence. This may be very helpful for HDR photography or other purposes. (Note: 70D's in-camera HDR only uses 3 shots, I believe.)

Mode dial: 70D has the "SCN" setting that gives access to the series of highly automated, "point n shoot" style Scene Modes: ala the "Running Man" for Sports, "Mountain" for Scenic, etc. 7D doesn't have Scene Modes at all. Instead, 7D has three user-customizable "Cx" modes. The 70D only has one of those. 70D's mode dial has the neat locking mechanism. 7D doesn't come with that, but one can be added by Canon Service Dept. if you wish, at extra cost (about $100 US last time I looked).

Size and weight: 70D isn't much smaller, but it's a bit lighter. I suspect the 100% viewfinder is what adds weight to the 7D, which actually is slightly heavier than the 5DII.

I don't have 70D. I've been shooting with a pair of 7Ds (and a 5DII) for about four years and have about 100,000 clicks on each of them. I looked hard at 70D, but for my purposes (a lot of sports, wildlife and action photography... no video at all) the 7D remains the better choice by a modest margin. I look forward to the 7D Mark II, when Canon introduces it. For someone else's purposes, it might be just the opposite and the 70D may be a better choice. It depends upon what you shoot, which camera would be a better choice. If you need to shoot video, definitely go for the 70D.

Oh, and when it comes to naming the successor to the 7D... From a marketing perspective Canon would be real fools to not name it "7D Mark II" and not carry over all the good will the current model has earned. Canon marketing is pretty clever, so I supect there won't be an 8D or 9D... It will be a 7D Mark II.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 18, 2013 11:31 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Mr. Myers,

Excellent post. I do believe you made one mistake, though. The 7D can control three groups of flashes, the 70D only does two. That was the first thing I checked out about it. Disappointing. The 7D will do (A:B, C) the 70D is only capable of (A:B). It does not control a BG unit.

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
381 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 18, 2013 12:05 |  #30

Maxxum5 wrote in post #16460782 (external link)
Are these cameras on the "Soon to be released" horizon? :lol:

I did go to Best Buy and feel out the EOS 70D. The fit and feel is fine for me. Feels hefty in my hands, but not overwhelming. Too bad Best Buy does not carry a 7D.

Thanks again for all the input! And to Edgar in ATL, do you suggest I should wait it out for the 9D? :lol::lol:

Yes...Definitely... Wait...Insider info...Best to come.

Canon 90D & M6 Advanced Amateur

sponsored links

6,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Simple Question, Please. Aging EOS 7D or New 70D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.