Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 18, 2013 17:08 |  #136

freitz wrote in post #16461790 (external link)
Not sure if this has been asked but...

Has anyone tested the a7r with the Canon L glass? Interested in the AF speed.

EF lenses has slower AF on the A7R, but the results are perfectly accurate.

Some say its even more accurate than on a DSLR. I don't know why tho..

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 18, 2013 18:23 |  #137

Ginga wrote in post #16461884 (external link)
EF lenses has slower AF on the A7R, but the results are perfectly accurate.

Some say its even more accurate than on a DSLR. I don't know why tho..

It's because on a DSLR your (fast) phase detection sensor is different from the image sensor - so if the light path isn't exactly the same length you can get errors (hence the MFA option to correct minor errors on some bodies).

Contrast detection (or the dual pixel phase detection on the sensor in the 70D) aren't quite as fast as a separate phase sensor, but will always be accurate (as it's on the sensor itself).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 18, 2013 20:10 |  #138

Anyone switching from 5d3 or 6d to this and why?

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 18, 2013 20:50 |  #139

freitz wrote in post #16462266 (external link)

I'm not switching exactly, but seriously thinking about selling one of my Canon bodies (leaning toward selling the 5D III) for it.

I mainly shoot MF lenses and the A7R seems the most perfectly suited FF camera for shooting MF lenses. Even Leica expert reviewer Steve Huff said that he can focus faster with the A7R than with any Leica camera. That's pretty impressive...and just what I need/want. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,488 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 18, 2013 21:23 |  #140

David Arbogast wrote in post #16462359 (external link)
I'm not switching exactly, but seriously thinking about selling one of my Canon bodies (leaning toward selling the 5D III) for it.

I mainly shoot MF lenses and the A7R seems the most perfectly suited FF camera for shooting MF lenses. Even Leica expert reviewer Steve Huff said that he can focus faster with the A7R than with any Leica camera. That's pretty impressive...and just what I need/want. :)

Out of genuine curiosity... why did you buy a 5DIII if you mainly use MF lenses? Wouldn't the 5DII or 6D be a better option since they have changeable focus screens? I also use MF a lot and if I hadn't just bought my 6D less then a year ago I'd probably be pretty excited over the a7 too.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 18, 2013 21:25 |  #141
bannedPermanent ban

David Arbogast wrote in post #16462359 (external link)

Yeh, my 5d2 might go as I use it for events and landscapes which the A7R could easily do and with better results. My plan is to keep both, but if find dust collecting on the 5d2...off it goes.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 18, 2013 21:59 |  #142

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16462453 (external link)
Out of genuine curiosity... why did you buy a 5DIII if you mainly use MF lenses? Wouldn't the 5DII or 6D be a better option since they have changeable focus screens? I also use MF a lot and if I hadn't just bought my 6D less then a year ago I'd probably be pretty excited over the a7 too.

I had a 5D II and used one of those screens. It helps, slightly, but not for critical pin-the-focus-on-a-gnats-butt focusing. So, whether shooting with a 5D II (previously) or 5D III (now) I use the camera's focus alert system, which is good for 85% of the time. What I use now is a Zacuto Z-Finder which lets me use the full power of the Live View system as a sort of EVF hack. This is what's so nice about the A7R: It has an excellent EVF built in. And, from user accounts, it doesn't have the same lagginess that the Canon Live View system has.

When considering the A7Rs EVF system, the difference between the 6D/ 5D II and the 5D III for manual focusing is negligible from a MF standpoint. I still need a great AF camera for my two excellent AF lenses...the 1DX was a recent addition, which now permits me to consider selling the 5D III in favor of an A7R (I plan to sell one of them...but not 100% sure which one I prefer to keep. :)).

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 18, 2013 22:08 |  #143

Question for those considering the A7R... for a AF shooter is this a good option?

Ill be honest Ill buy stuff that I do not need just because its better.

There is a lot of hype behind this camera.... Give the slow AF with the adapters but with native lenses is this a promising solution or Sony's flavor of the month?

PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 18, 2013 22:20 |  #144

freitz wrote in post #16462572 (external link)
Question for those considering the A7R... for a AF shooter is this a good option?

There is a lot of hype behind this camera.... Give the slow AF with the adapters but with native lenses is this a promising solution or Sony's flavor of the month?

AF shooters will need to go with native FE-mount lenses for satisfying shooting experience. You can AF Canon-mount lenses with a Metabones adapter (only lenses made after 2006 will AF though), and that's truly a cool thing, but it's likely to be mostly impractical. So, if you're an AF shooter, you'll need to review the small handful of native lenses available between now and the next two months (35mm/2.8, 55mm 1.8, 24-70mm/4) to discern whether it's a good fit or not.

It's not just a new camera, it's (mostly) a whole new system and it's going to be a while before they flesh out a complete range of native FE-mount AF lenses.

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 18, 2013 22:38 |  #145

David Arbogast wrote in post #16462593 (external link)
AF shooters will need to go with native FE-mount lenses for satisfying shooting experience. You can AF Canon-mount lenses with a Metabones adapter (only lenses made after 2006 will AF though), and that's truly a cool thing, but it's likely to be mostly impractical. So, if you're an AF shooter, you'll need to review the small handful of native lenses available between now and the next two months (35mm/2.8, 55mm 1.8, 24-70mm/4) to discern whether it's a good fit or not.

It's not just a new camera, it's (mostly) a whole new system and it's going to be a while before they flesh out a complete range of native FE-mount AF lenses.

Which makes me think I can wait.

Here is AF with Canon EF lens on a A7R with Metabones. http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=4XGcv2dSBZk (external link)

I would love something like this from Canon that takes EF lens without an adapter. I love the 6d and just bought it a couple of months ago but I wouldn't mind a smaller body to replace it... that is for sure.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,488 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 18, 2013 23:20 |  #146

David Arbogast wrote in post #16462552 (external link)
I had a 5D II and used one of those screens. It helps, slightly, but not for critical pin-the-focus-on-a-gnats-butt focusing. So, whether shooting with a 5D II (previously) or 5D III (now) I use the camera's focus alert system, which is good for 85% of the time. What I use now is a Zacuto Z-Finder which lets me use the full power of the Live View system as a sort of EVF hack. This is what's so nice about the A7R: It has an excellent EVF built in. And, from user accounts, it doesn't have the same lagginess that the Canon Live View system has.

When considering the A7Rs EVF system, the difference between the 6D/ 5D II and the 5D III for manual focusing is negligible from a MF standpoint. I still need a great AF camera for my two excellent AF lenses...the 1DX was a recent addition, which now permits me to consider selling the 5D III in favor of an A7R (I plan to sell one of them...but not 100% sure which one I prefer to keep. :)).

Whatever works for you. I've heard at least one other member say they didn't see much difference with an EG-S screen too, for me the difference was huge though... idk, maybe difference in perscriptions? All I know is that the EG-S screen was the best thing to happen to my shooting experience, I actually prefer MF lenses for what I shoot most of the time and thankfully haven't had any issues catching focus with the 6D :cool:

The biggest draw of the a7 for me is definitely it's form factor, but I'm really turned off by the super loud shutter (even though it's hard to get a real idea of it's volume from videos).

freitz wrote in post #16462572 (external link)

It's going to be significantly slower than your 6D. With the native lenses it should be about as quick as the 6D, but for moving subjects it probably won't be ideal if it's anything like other mirrorless cameras. Whether it's "better" is subjective. It's better at some things and worse at others, it really depends on your needs.

If I had the money I'd definitely pick one up as my secondary backup camera.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 19, 2013 00:50 |  #147

freitz wrote in post #16462266 (external link)

I will add the A7R to the 5D3. Planning to use the Sony for anything landscape/portrait and the 5D3 for anything else.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 19, 2013 21:15 |  #148

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16462711 (external link)
Whatever works for you. I've heard at least one other member say they didn't see much difference with an EG-S screen too, for me the difference was huge though... idk, maybe difference in perscriptions? All I know is that the EG-S screen was the best thing to happen to my shooting experience, I actually prefer MF lenses for what I shoot most of the time and thankfully haven't had any issues catching focus with the 6D :cool:

The biggest draw of the a7 for me is definitely it's form factor, but I'm really turned off by the super loud shutter (even though it's hard to get a real idea of it's volume from videos).

It's going to be significantly slower than your 6D. With the native lenses it should be about as quick as the 6D, but for moving subjects it probably won't be ideal if it's anything like other mirrorless cameras. Whether it's "better" is subjective. It's better at some things and worse at others, it really depends on your needs.

If I had the money I'd definitely pick one up as my secondary backup camera.

Yeah I can only have one camera body... I don't shoot enough for two. I think if they had more then the current lens option it would be an easy switch. I love my L glass, but not willing to take a huge AF speed hit. Also worried if I switch that Canon will come out with something similar in the next few months...

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 20, 2013 00:31 |  #149

BrickR wrote in post #16427298 (external link)
I would take a Sony A7, metabones, and Canon 1.8/1.4 primes to keep weight and size down because the one thing Sony doesn't seem to understand is fast glass. As innovative as they are about cameras they are just clueless about lenses.

I'm excited about the A7 for sure! Wish it was Canon, but they are stubborn with mirrorless and goofed by missing a great opportunity dragging their feet on mirrorless :(

jdizzle wrote in post #16427364 (external link)
Dejavu! Didn't you repeat the same thing in another thread? **smh** :rolleyes: It's a brand new system. Give them a chance to release more lenses. Idk where you think they're clueless since they have Zeiss to make primo glass! I would like to beleive that Sony has a chance in this market bcoz' they have two wins! The A7 and A7r!

I hope they don't.

What I want to see is great small primes at f/2, not f/1.2 monsters.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 20, 2013 21:46 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #150

German Chip Foto Video Magazin came to the same conclusion as DXO and rated the A7R to have the best picture quality of all full frame cameras. It is therefore their new picture quality reference.

Google translated here: http://translate.googl​e.com …i-DSLM-Test_65234491.html (external link)

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sponsored links

443,901 views & 24 likes for this thread
Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.