Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 07:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon taking over the world. B&H, Adorama, shipping cost & performance.

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2013 00:32 |  #46

Dj R wrote in post #16462527 (external link)
If you owned a small business, or even a large business, you may consider amazon evil.

I've owned, ran, bought and sold several small (mom and pop) successful companies. The companies were not successful when we bought them but with a lot of blood, sweat and tears we turned them around.

Customer service, not excuses and finger pointing is what we practiced and still do today. I currently own a successful photography business. I may not be a millionaire, but I don't need to be. I can pay my bills and live my life.

I'm not blind to what an Amazon type company can and has done. Some of it good, some of it bad. Maybe they will push the competition to think outside the box and stop making excuses.

I'm all for shopping local and small companies when it makes fiscal sense. I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars more for something simply because it is '
local' or from a mom and pop store. Does not make fiscal sense to me.

This conversation reminds me of the millions that took place online when digital photography became serious. "It's the death of photography." :)

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2013 00:34 |  #47

adza77 wrote in post #16462715 (external link)
Well, Amazon isn't taking over this part of the world (being down under in Australia)...

Just try and order a 77mm filter for my camera. Add to the cart, choose check out, put in my country and then right at the end as I'm about to pay I get 'Sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination".

At least with Adorama I can find out that they WILL ship to Australia AND how much it'll cost at the start without wasting my time like Amazon (although $59.90 shipping for a single 77mm filter normally has me buying locally anyway ;) )

I guess Amazon's not taking over the world, just the US and UK :)

I'm surprised they ship to Hawaii. It's like most of the ads on this forum in the 'sell' portion. No shipping to Alaska and Hawaii. Talk about bad customer service.:p

dropmyload
642 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2013 01:16 |  #48

I am based in Nairobi Kenya and I use Amazon all the time: I deliver items to friends/family who are travelling here and they bring them over for me.

So, when I bought my 60D, I decided to use B&H. What a nightmare! They had to call me to verify I was the credit card holder, there was back and forth for almost a week before they shipped it out to my cousin in Philly. He was flying out in a few days and I wasn't even sure it would reach him before he left.

I'll never buy from B&H again.

BTW, I run a small online business here in Kenya, via facebook. And for us, I have noticed, the secret is all in the delivery. We do same day delivery within Nairobi for free, regardless of amount spent, and our sales have just skyrocketed once we started that.

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2013 01:43 |  #49

dropmyload wrote in post #16462869 (external link)
I am based in Nairobi Kenya and I use Amazon all the time: I deliver items to friends/family who are travelling here and they bring them over for me.

So, when I bought my 60D, I decided to use B&H. What a nightmare! They had to call me to verify I was the credit card holder, there was back and forth for almost a week before they shipped it out to my cousin in Philly. He was flying out in a few days and I wasn't even sure it would reach him before he left.

I'll never buy from B&H again.

BTW, I run a small online business here in Kenya, via facebook. And for us, I have noticed, the secret is all in the delivery. We do same day delivery within Nairobi for free, regardless of amount spent, and our sales have just skyrocketed once we started that.

You got it my friend, customer service. It might cost a little extra in the short term to gain the long term customer and grow the business. That model might not work for everyone but it sure sounds like it worked wonders for you.

Mom and Pop companies are going to have to think outside of the brick and mortar box they've put themselves in if they are going to survive. The attitude of 'we can't' needs to change into 'how can we'. Just my two cents.

Congrats on your business!

dropmyload
642 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2013 01:56 |  #50

Thank you! We increased costs a fair bit as we signed up with a local delivery firm that does unlimited deliveries for a fixed monthly fee.

We dispatch deliveries twice a day, once at 9.30 am and a second round at 2pm, and try to respond to emails, comments, sms within 30 minutes. Customers love it...in Kenya, most online stores take 48 hours to deliver. Others never respond to queries...

We are now being approached by other retailers to showcase their items on our facebook page.

You can see it here:

www.facebook.com/Amaiy​aElegance (external link)

I'm not selling anything here on POTN, anyways I wouldn't be able to deliver...LOL! Its just a link to share our experiences selling online. Even established retailers want us to showcase their goods. We just haven't figured out whether to charge a flat fee or take a slice of sales...I want both but my partner isn't as greedy as me!

Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2013 02:02 |  #51

I like that you saw a hole in the competitions service and made it your strength. Beats the hell out of whining and finger pointing, doesn't it? :)

dropmyload
642 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2013 02:12 |  #52

Completely...instead of setting up a brick and mortar business we tried an online one...through facebook so we have a captive audience. We figured delivery and response was critical so spent money there. We made a few losses but now we're in the black...

Just watch Amazon grow...they may not be making money now but they will once all the competition is gone...or they get their sales up there.

That's how life is...

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 19, 2013 06:50 |  #53

@dropmyload: I live in Brazil and, like you, I buy things in the US for delivery to my friends or relatives who are traveling for them to hand carry to me. I have not had any problem like yours with B&H or Adorama. Maybe it is because I use a US based card.....

My son will be here next week with some camera goodies.

JIM

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 19, 2013 07:29 |  #54

Dj R wrote in post #16429543 (external link)
next time anyone needs tires, use that as a good time to sign up for the amazon visa, you get around $150 off the order. plus their prices are really good. there is one specific vendor who I purchased from:
seller "buy wheels today"
http://www.amazon.com …KIKX0DER&me=A32​YFCGQVCYRX (external link)

I can definitely relate to this, and can see how Amazon is a tsunami rolling over the mom's and pop's of the world. It is not just limited to Amazon but to many of the other large corporations, also. In 2000 I employed a dozen people in my tire business...a fair number of jobs for our rural area. Now, after having my throat cut by Goodyear I have 2 employees and just hope I can at least carry them through Christmas. It's not just the "amazons" of the world, but the companies supplying them...these big manufacturers had rather deal with a few giants than deal with the small companies that made them what they are(were?) today. The mom and pops are what made this country great, but they are of seemingly no importance today. In some circles this is referred to as "progress"...but, of course, I'm biased.

I will admit that I feed the behemoth called Amazon, but where I live I'd have to drive 60 miles one-way for those things.

...an early Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to everyone.

www.beeweather.com (external link)

dropmyload
642 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2013 09:41 |  #55

Narwhal wrote in post #16463195 (external link)
@dropmyload: I live in Brazil and, like you, I buy things in the US for delivery to my friends or relatives who are traveling for them to hand carry to me. I have not had any problem like yours with B&H or Adorama. Maybe it is because I use a US based card.....

My son will be here next week with some camera goodies.

I use an international credit card...works everywhere like a breeze EXCEPT for B&H and US Canon store online. So, I just moved to Amazon, and they handle my order like I was buying in Nairobi, or London or Mumbai.

They'll make money soon...thats when we have to start worrying :)

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2013 18:26 |  #56

HelenOster wrote in post #16457718 (external link)
We have looked into it - but Amazon is only able to do this because they have the shareholders who are in it for long term investment, and are not concerned with short-term losses. As a family-owned business we are simply unable to compete.

That being said, if you sign up for NAPP membership, you can get free shipping on everything at Adorama, as well as gazillions of other deals and discounts: http://photoshopuser.c​om/#discounts (external link)

I just started thinking about this one....how can Adorama offer free shipping through something they make no money on? Wouldn't it be better to charge a subscription service and make that upfront money itself? Maybe I'm just being thick headed here, which would not surprise me, but if Adorama is unable to do the subscription thing because it is a family-owned business then how can it give away shipping to those with a NAPP membership where Adorama gets zero dollars? Again, I might be thick headed and don't see the logic here.

Shalom from the German Risner side of the family.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 20, 2013 04:11 |  #57

Ron Bailey wrote in post #16464891 (external link)
I just started thinking about this one....how can Adorama offer free shipping through something they make no money on? Wouldn't it be better to charge a subscription service and make that upfront money itself? Maybe I'm just being thick headed here, which would not surprise me, but if Adorama is unable to do the subscription thing because it is a family-owned business then how can it give away shipping to those with a NAPP membership where Adorama gets zero dollars? Again, I might be thick headed and don't see the logic here.

Shalom from the German Risner side of the family.

We could give free shipping on everything I guess, if we added $$$ to the price of everything we sell..............;)

I'm no economist, but the finance guys looked at the subscription idea and for whatever reason, it wasn't workable. I'm pretty certain that if it was, they would have introduced it!

As to the NAPP deal; I can only guess that it's somehow supported by NAPP as a marketing tool.

dropmyload
642 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 20, 2013 05:19 |  #58

Free shipping adds a fixed cost to any business as most unlimited shipping contracts have a fixed price regardless of amount of shipping.

At least that's how it works for us.

We decided to absorb the cost in the interest of customer service. Seems to work despite hurting our bottom line.

Its how you look at the business really...are you willing to forego some profit for customer satisfaction?

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 20, 2013 05:31 |  #59

dropmyload wrote in post #16465937 (external link)
Free shipping adds a fixed cost to any business

I would beg to disagree.....there are numerous factors involved.

Its how you look at the business really...are you willing to forego some profit for customer satisfaction?

.....'til you reach the bottom line, and you have to choose between employing less-qualified staff - or fewer staff - and offering 'free' shipping? Then customer satisfaction drops right through the floor.....

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 20, 2013 07:05 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #60

We decided to absorb the cost in the interest of customer service. Seems to work despite hurting our bottom line.

Amazon too, obviously.

I am still disappointed that an order place before lunch, will be held a day, if you use economy shipping, at b&h. Terrible service, possibly intentional.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

sponsored links

11,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon taking over the world. B&H, Adorama, shipping cost & performance.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.