Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Nov 2013 (Monday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stunning Portraits Of The World’s Remotest Tribes Before They Pass

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 18, 2013 09:36 |  #1

Amazing photos

http://www.boredpanda.​org …y-pass-away-jimmy-nelson/ (external link)

The book is pricey

http://www.beforethey.​com/book (external link)

sponsored links
cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 18, 2013 11:43 |  #2

My effort Rick. First from the Island of New Britain

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 18, 2013 11:44 as a reply to  @ cdiver2's post |  #3

Australia

BobOh
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 18, 2013 16:29 |  #4

Don't you wonder what they think of a camera, especially a professional one, of which they have very little understanding. Wait...that sounds like me!!

Regards,
Bob
Gear: 40D, 7D, EF 100-400L, EF 28-135, Speedlight 580EX and other stuff.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bobbolew/ (external link)

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 18, 2013 18:09 |  #5

Give me a break with these "lost native tribes" nonesense. There has not been an uncontacted tribe left anywhere in more than 50 years.
Some tribes do choose to stay out, like the Africans in south India who walk around naked, or some few rain forest tribes, but they all know of and have seen the modern world.
Ifcourse, all new photos of them are staged, and done for tourists.

savoirferret
467 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 18, 2013 19:08 |  #6

Gomar wrote in post #16461992 (external link)
Give me a break with these "lost native tribes" nonesense.

"World’s Remotest Tribes" =/= "lost native tribes" or " uncontacted tribe"

like the Africans in south India who walk around naked

er... ?

G a l l e r y (external link) ~ G e a r

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 18, 2013 19:15 |  #7

Give me a break with these "lost native tribes" nonesense. There has not been an uncontacted tribe left anywhere in more than 50 years.
Some tribes do choose to stay out, like the Africans in south India who walk around naked, or some few rain forest tribes, but they all know of and have seen the modern world.

It is not out of the realm of possibility. There are large portions of both the Amazon and Papua New Guinea that have yet to be explored due to their terrain and forestation. There are most likely tribes that have yet to personally encounter the "modern" world.

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 18, 2013 19:28 |  #8

I think the gist of this is there are still a lot of ethnic groups that still live the way they did a hundred years ago. Yes they have had limited contact with the modern world but shun it but as the years go by they will probably become more westernized.
The photos I posted from New Britain were from a rare occasion were tribes had come together for a sing sing, some traveling for weeks through the jungle. There were more civilized tribes in the area we were in that were still afraid of some of the tribes that had come from the interior. This event was not staged for tourist in fact my wife and I were the only white people there.

Africans in south India

You have got me on this one I did not know there were Africans in any part of India.

There are lots of places were they walk around naked. Palau south Pacfic in fact they have buildings called the man house..were the men meet it is forbidden for a female to go anywhere near, local or tourist

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 18, 2013 19:43 |  #9

Thanks Rick, always enjoy your posts as usual. What an adventure that photographer must have had in doing this project.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 18, 2013 19:53 |  #10

First contact with a PNG tribe 1993 http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=h6UWZnwBb-U (external link)

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 19, 2013 08:52 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Cool

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2013 09:01 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I surely hope they don't pass away, not only for photography, but for humanity

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 19, 2013 09:13 |  #13

@GOMAR and others who don't believe there are any lost tribes, I suggest that you do a little research such as the following book:
The Unconquered: In Search of the Amazon's Last Uncontacted Tribes
By Scott Wallace

https://www.facebook.c​om/uncontacted (external link)

OTOH the pictures shown are not lost tribes. They may very well be remote but they are not uncontacted or lost.

JIM

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 19, 2013 11:07 |  #14

There are still areas in West Irian and Papua New Guinea accessible via river boat alone, i.e., no roads. I do agree that every year, modern "civilization" expands and contact with these remote tribes occurs.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,589 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 19, 2013 11:22 |  #15

My early childhood years were spent in South India. I saw many African students who came to study in South India, but I missed the naked tribes. They must have really shunned contact with the modern world.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links

8,032 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stunning Portraits Of The World’s Remotest Tribes Before They Pass
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.