Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question on using Canon and Yongnuo as Slaves

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 19, 2013 12:41 |  #1

Hello. I grabbed a Yongnuo YN-560 II to go with my 2 Canon 430 EX II's. I'm using them all for product photography. I have noticed while working with them that if I fire a Canon and have the Yongnuo in slave, the Yongnuo fires. I can't get the Yongnuo to fire the Canon's. I have the Canon's set up in slave and they fire fine with my T4i's on board flash.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to get a non-Canon flash to get a Canon flash to fire without a remote? Thank you.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2013 12:45 |  #2

The canon doesnt have a built in optical slave so no. Putting the camera in slave mode just makes it wait for the coded instructions from the canon wireless system but it will not fire as a simple optical slave.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 19, 2013 12:54 |  #3

So they are using radio with my T4i for firing?

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2013 13:03 |  #4

Matrim33 wrote in post #16464002 (external link)
So they are using radio with my T4i for firing?

No. Wireless doesnt mean radio in the canon system It uses a series of optical pulses in the preflash to communicate with the canon flash remotely. So fast that you often cant distinguish them from the flash itself. But it does not have a simple optical slave that fires in sync with another flash regardless of source.

The YN flashes have a built in simple optical slave that only fires when seeing another flash fire, or a mode that ignores the preflash and fires on the main flash. But the YN's cant master the canon.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 19, 2013 13:06 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #16464037 (external link)
No. Wireless doesnt mean radio in the canon system It uses a series of optical pulses in the preflash to communicate with the canon flash remotely. So fast that you often cant distinguish them from the flash itself. But it does not have a simple optical slave that fires in sync with another flash regardless of source.

The YN flashes have a built in simple optical slave that only fires when seeing another flash fire, or a mode that ignores the preflash and fires on the main flash. But the YN's cant master the canon.

Thank you. Just wanted to know how this is all working. Looks like I will be buying a few more YN flashes. I'm fairly impressed so far with their output.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2013 13:29 |  #6

Matrim33 wrote in post #16464043 (external link)
Thank you. Just wanted to know how this is all working. Looks like I will be buying a few more YN flashes. I'm fairly impressed so far with their output.

If all you want is a manual flash they are quite capable.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 19, 2013 20:07 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #16464109 (external link)
If all you want is a manual flash they are quite capable.

And works well. My 560 as a slave is pretty reliable, even works in daytime sunny pretty well.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 20, 2013 04:00 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #8

I bought 2 YN 560 II to be fired by my 600ex rt's in ETTL2 Mode, they work a charm . Obviously they have to be set manually. I.e. They augment the 2 600's.

It needs a bit of getting used to how to meter them effectively. But they work fine. Basically if outside I set the 600s in Ettl mode, fire off a tester. And then I use the YNs to fill any areas that are too dark. Use my meter to match the F no selected by the Ettl system.

I am also using them to augment my Bowens studio lights works perfectly, all manual of course. But at £42 each they are a real bargain.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

1,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question on using Canon and Yongnuo as Slaves
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.