Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II - Initial Review

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,363 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2013 11:37 |  #31

zarray wrote in post #16453673 (external link)
oh damn! That looks fantastic!:D

I felt so bad letting that version I go.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,669 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 15, 2013 18:24 |  #32

I wish I had a MKII to compare to my MKI. :(

I don't have any funds right now to pick one up, so it is what it is. This is my MKI wide open though, it works well enough for my needs right now. I would consider it probably middle of the road, not extremely sharp, but also not as soft as others I have seen.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

vishketan
80 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2013 13:16 |  #33

Does anybody know if the welcome100 coupon on green toe can be applied twice. I already bought one lens but am tempted by the 70-200 :)

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 19, 2013 15:48 as a reply to  @ vishketan's post |  #34

Got mine from Adorama. It makes some noise when IS is on. Similar to this http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=N-DHjNApsl8 (external link). Is it an issue. Do I need to get it exchanged.

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 19, 2013 20:28 |  #35

videobug wrote in post #16464482 (external link)
Got mine from Adorama. It makes some noise when IS is on. Similar to this http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=N-DHjNApsl8 (external link). Is it an issue. Do I need to get it exchanged.

I have owned several over the years and it does make noise. It drive me crazy when I got my first one I thought there was something wrong with it. But it only happens when I take a shot view it and then half press shutter button. I think it happens when changing focal length the 4 IS does the same. What blows me away the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC is silent. I sold mine not long ago and got another MKII I don't know I kind of miss the Tam

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2013 20:33 |  #36

videobug wrote in post #16464482 (external link)

Exchange it.

I have owned quite a few of them... Two of them developed this grunt/grinding noise and when sent to Canon, they cited faulty IS units and replaced them. It is normal for the IS to make noise, but not this louder grinding noise. Big difference when you hear/experience it versus normal operation. The lens practically shakes a bit when it kicks on/off.

My latest copy arrived with this noise out of the box...Turned portrait orientation, the IS jumped around and would not settle. Exchanged it and got another which works perfectly. Since it was brand new, no point in going through trouble to get it repaired... The other two developed it months later, beyond the point of exchange. Once they were repaired, they never made the noise again. So that was good at least... Worked perfectly.

All the IS units do sound slightly different though... Some are quieter than others, but none of them sound like that video... That is when they have gone bad.

Take it for what it is worth!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 06:59 |  #37

Invertalon wrote in post #16465215 (external link)
Exchange it.

I have owned quite a few of them... Two of them developed this grunt/grinding noise and when sent to Canon, they cited faulty IS units and replaced them. It is normal for the IS to make noise, but not this louder grinding noise. Big difference when you hear/experience it versus normal operation. The lens practically shakes a bit when it kicks on/off.

My latest copy arrived with this noise out of the box...Turned portrait orientation, the IS jumped around and would not settle. Exchanged it and got another which works perfectly. Since it was brand new, no point in going through trouble to get it repaired... The other two developed it months later, beyond the point of exchange. Once they were repaired, they never made the noise again. So that was good at least... Worked perfectly.

All the IS units do sound slightly different though... Some are quieter than others, but none of them sound like that video... That is when they have gone bad.

Take it for what it is worth!

Just before I send it. What is the normal IS noise? Mine is not as bad a the one in the video. When IS is there it has the crrk and then after two seconds it comes again and then stops. Its not going on and on. Do you mind attaching a normal IS sound as an MP3. It would really help. Thanks

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 07:02 |  #38

Tanglefoot47 wrote in post #16465197 (external link)
I have owned several over the years and it does make noise. It drive me crazy when I got my first one I thought there was something wrong with it. But it only happens when I take a shot view it and then half press shutter button. I think it happens when changing focal length the 4 IS does the same. What blows me away the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC is silent. I sold mine not long ago and got another MKII I don't know I kind of miss the Tam

The only reason why I did not go for Tamron is my fear of it losing the resale value and difficulty to sell after few years. The L lens normally is easier to sell.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 20, 2013 11:29 |  #39

The normal IS noise makes a chirp/grunt noise on start/stop of the IS. It is quite audible in a quiet room. The bad IS units I have experienced are 2x louder than normal and they sounded just like that video you posted... You can also practically feel vibrations in the lens when they do go bad. Besides the start/stop noise, you will also hear the unit working inbetween starting/stopping with whirly noises, that is normal.

So expect some noise... It is not silent by any means. Some units are quieter then others, but that is not a concern. Make sure the IS functions in both normal and portrait orientation and settles the viewfinder. If you can make an audio clip of your lens I would be glad to let you know if good or not. But yes, the IS does make a chirp/grunt noise when it starts and stops.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 18:43 |  #40

Invertalon wrote in post #16466681 (external link)
The normal IS noise makes a chirp/grunt noise on start/stop of the IS. It is quite audible in a quiet room. The bad IS units I have experienced are 2x louder than normal and they sounded just like that video you posted... You can also practically feel vibrations in the lens when they do go bad. Besides the start/stop noise, you will also hear the unit working inbetween starting/stopping with whirly noises, that is normal.

So expect some noise... It is not silent by any means. Some units are quieter then others, but that is not a concern. Make sure the IS functions in both normal and portrait orientation and settles the viewfinder. If you can make an audio clip of your lens I would be glad to let you know if good or not. But yes, the IS does make a chirp/grunt noise when it starts and stops.

Thanks. I think mine is not so bad. It just chirp and grunt it starts and then in two seconds it comes again. Thats it and then no more. Image Stabilization works great

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 18:47 as a reply to  @ videobug's post |  #41

Here are some images that I took of the new lens vs the old one I have (70-200 f2.8 (non IS))
They are 100% crops. The last one is where I used the Image stabilization.
To me the image quality is very close. And when I did this exercise did I see the difference. When I just went back and forth on the image I did not notice any difference.

HOSTED PHOTO

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 18:49 as a reply to  @ videobug's post |  #42

HOSTED PHOTO

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 18:50 as a reply to  @ videobug's post |  #43

HOSTED PHOTO

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 18:50 as a reply to  @ videobug's post |  #44

HOSTED PHOTO

videobug
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 18:51 as a reply to  @ videobug's post |  #45

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

7,752 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II - Initial Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.