Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moderator closing a thread due to obvious personal bias

this thread is locked
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 12:54 |  #1

I'd like to complain about the manner in which this thread was closed:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1343281

Please note the moderator's words in his/her closing post:

it has always been about trying to force acceptance of lifestyle

The use of the term "lifestyle" when referring to the rights and discrimination of homosexuals betrays the moderator's evidently anti-homosexual views, because nobody who supports the anti-discrimination movement refers to homosexuality as a "lifestyle".

Furthermore, this post which also uses the biased, anti-homosexual rights term "gay agenda" has been left in, while my later response to it has been deleted from the thread, despite not being offensive (you can still see it quoted here).

It's clear to me that the moderator who closed this thread has done so for personal reasons, and has chosen to delete posts that disagree with his/her views, while leaving anti-homosexual comments in because he/she agrees with them.

It's pretty disappointing. Close threads if you must, but selectively deleting comments because you don't personally agree with them, while leaving frankly bigoted remarks in there is not the kind of impartiality I'd expect from a forum moderator.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

sponsored links
kacebelle
305 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 20, 2013 12:57 |  #2

I agree. I was VERY disappointed that a mod was able to push in his own personal bias before closing the thread.

Homosexuality is not a lifestye anymore than being African American is. It is biological fact. You may not agree, but a mod should be able to be neutral when closing a thread. Very, very disappointing.

My Stuff | My flickr (external link) |My Website (external link)| My Blog (external link) | My Feedback

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 20, 2013 13:21 |  #3

I agree with the closing. After 76 postings the subject was exhausted and no longer pertained to photography. No new facts and no one had any new analysis. And no minds were being changed.

JIM

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,700 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2013 13:26 |  #4

The thread had probably run its course, but the moderator's comments seemed more in line with getting the last word in and then shutting it down.

kacebelle
305 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 20, 2013 13:26 |  #5

Narwhal wrote in post #16466989 (external link)
I agree with the closing. After 76 postings the subject was exhausted and no longer pertained to photography. No new facts and no one had any new analysis. And no minds were being changed.

Oh, I agree, the thread should have been closed. However, the way the mod went about inserting his own biased opinion was what I took issue with and was, quite frankly, very surprised at.

My Stuff | My flickr (external link) |My Website (external link)| My Blog (external link) | My Feedback

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 20, 2013 13:27 as a reply to  @ kacebelle's post |  #6

...agreed with this. If the forum doesn't want discussion on religion or politics, then don't have it. I didn't participate in that thread precisely because of that rule. I think most of the members are fine with that and closing the thread was correct. But Skip dropped a bomb with his closing post. No right of rebuttal. I understand this is a private forum and you guys can do what you like. But there should be consistency in your decisions.

On a side note: I shoot events all the time where my clients were happy and I didn't want to be there. It isn't that hard. Skip should either delete his post or reopen the thread.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

onona
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 13:39 |  #7

Narwhal wrote in post #16466989 (external link)

Please read my post again. Nowhere did I express disappointment about the thread being closed, my issue is with the way in which it was done. Closing threads is one thing, but selectively deleting posts that appear to disagree with your views and then posting a frankly kinda offensive remark in the process is another thing entirely.

Leigh

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 20, 2013 13:44 |  #8

Should have just said "this thread has gone on long enough" /closed

But instead the moderator wanted to get his anti-homosexuality opinion posted before the thread was closed.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:18 |  #9

I don't see what the big deal with Skip's final post. He said the thread was running too long, shared some examples, and shared some of his thoughts (which I don't even find to be pro or anti-homosexual).

He made the decision. He's a moderator. You don't like what he said, so what? Move on.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:26 |  #10

I agree with Posts 1 through 8.

I like discussions which make me think and which show that others are also thinking. Questions of ethics and personal values are a great subject for that. It was evident that the thread would soon be closed because a few people couldn't help slamming religion or its absence. But if a board moderator's opinion on anything but board moderation is to receive priority above other members' opinions, let's see a reason that it should.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:32 |  #11

OhLook wrote in post #16467128 (external link)
But if a board moderator's opinion on anything but board moderation is to receive priority above other members' opinions, let's see a reason that it should.

But how is his opinion receiving any priority?

onona
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:32 |  #12

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16467102 (external link)
He said the thread was running too long, shared some examples, and shared some of his thoughts (which I don't even find to be pro or anti-homosexual).

If you don't think the suggestion that people are being "forced to accept a lifestyle" is anti-homosexual, then you haven't been following the gay rights movement very closely.

Leigh

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:35 |  #13

onona wrote in post #16467145 (external link)
If you don't think the suggestion that people are being "forced to accept a lifestyle" is anti-homosexual, then you haven't been following the gay rights movement very closely.

EXACTLY!

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:37 |  #14

onona wrote in post #16467145 (external link)

I haven't cause honestly, I couldn't care less. Whether Skip called it a "lifestyle" or a "sexual orientation" or whatever word he chose, I don't see the big deal.

Forgive my ignorance here it seems like I'm stirring trouble. I'm not. I just don't see the big deal.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:39 |  #15

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16467143 (external link)
But how is his opinion receiving any priority?

By closing the thread before anyone could disagree with it. The rest of us had to accept any criticisms of our beliefs and terminology (such as "lifestyle") that came along.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links

3,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moderator closing a thread due to obvious personal bias
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.